This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dozer abuse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dozer abuse?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:13pm
Take a look at this video, right when it starts, about the 0:06 second mark. Isn't that the wrong way to go about stump removal?
Could that damage the dozer driveline?
[TUBE]lA9WqH1UWmA[/TUBE]
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:21pm
Maybe not his machine!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:35am
Not iffn its a torque converter model...Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:31am
He is using a Rome KG blade should have enough power to shear the stump with that unless he is not using the correct gear and blade is dull. Have to keep these sharp.

As far as a stump, easier to dig around with loader or excavator and roll the root mass out.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
Looks like same machine - and with that blade type unit it's made for land clearing but i think for smaller stumps . OR ? 
 seems ramming things never worked for me using either dozer or loader - also clearing trees when the stumpage is about 4 t o5 ft high sure works better - then the backhoe doesn't care how big - using the 715B O removed one stump from beside neighbors house and rolled it out of hole onto driveway - to move it out to area to burn had a 190 xt chained to front and me pushing from behind with the 715 to get it to move 100 yards or so . 
 With the HD5B I have moved stumps as big as machine but it takes time to dig them out and then have ramp to move them out of spot or roll them somewhere to dispose of them . When I was using the Kobelco Excavator surprising what one can move with that bucket and a thumb on the boom 
[TUBE]GDjWMcVBr5Y[/TUBE]
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:44pm
Second vid, he is working the machine too hard, side loading the booms on the blade. As noted is a 'Brush and scrub blade' not so much a stump cutter. Better for a dozer to push full trees, let the tree weight aid the removal and Yes coke is so correct as to easier with a loader or hoe, just a bit much for what he is using. A straight blade, get on the stump high Not "Dozing" thru it and they will roll out easier steady pushing.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:02pm
I think both videos are the same machine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and if so,,,, that guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing!!!!

Otherwise they must be twins.......................
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:16pm
A running video cam will make an idiot out of borderline idiots. Never ram anything with a tractor. Notice he's shifting forward-reverse at near full throttle. Not a mechanic in the seat there. If he tried this with some of my oak-hickory stumps he'd be loosening his fillings at impact. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:36pm
Wow the poor ole girl doesn't deserve that. I think he showing off for his buddy's girl standing out in the lawn. Haha.
If your going to be standing in your buddy's back yard drinking a beer why wouldn't there be a big old AC dozer
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:18pm
Back when I was a kid in Ohio back in the 1950's, the Ohio Turnpike was being built a few miles north of our place.  They had a sand quarry nearby to get base material for under the concrete, I guess.  The area was covered with big old trees and as they mined out material they would push out more trees.  I guess a logger came by and made a deal on some of the biggest oaks and cut them off  maybe 2' above the ground.  My dad took me to see the big machinery one Saturday.  The equipment operators couldn't get the stump out, even with their big old D9's.  The job superintendent told them, "I'll show ya how to do it!"  He climbed on the D9 and hit the stump at full throttle, he almost was thrown off the machine.  Not sure what exactly what he broke but there was oil coming out underneath and the engine was killed when he hit it.  I was only about 5 years old but learned a valuable lesson that day.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:19pm
Great story John I bet he was missing some fillings when he got off that machine! In the early 70's I was joining Operating Engineers Union and an apprentice. I was an underground pipe layer and always loved the heavy equipment. Dozers my favorite.

We had an old TD 21 or 20 something I think it was, and we had an old farmer operator, many of them were by the way and made great operators, and he took a run at an old tree in a field that someone wanted taken out. Before we could limb it out or do anything to it, he ran that tractor hell bent for leather ( you could almost hear his rebel yell) and smacked that tree.

It didn't move an inch. However, a 3' round limb broke off near the top and came down on the cab. Not only did he have a headache, but the admiration of the entire crew whom stood by and watched our expert at work.

Lesson I have never forgotten as well.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:20pm
Great story John I bet he was missing some fillings when he got off that machine! In the early 70's I was joining Operating Engineers Union and an apprentice. I was an underground pipe layer and always loved the heavy equipment. Dozers my favorite.

We had an old TD 21 or 20 something I think it was, and we had an old farmer operator, many of them were by the way and made great operators, and he took a run at an old tree in a field that someone wanted taken out. Before we could limb it out or do anything to it, he ran that tractor hell bent for leather ( you could almost hear his rebel yell) and smacked that tree.

It didn't move an inch. However, a 3' round limb broke off near the top and came down on the cab. Not only did he have a headache, but the admiration of the entire crew whom stood by and watched our expert at work.

Lesson I have never forgotten as well.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:55pm
My dad was in the operating engineers union from the 40s-63 when the dam at greers ferry was finished and president kennedy came to the dedication . he worked on a big dam project in Kansas and Washington state.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by michale34 michale34 wrote:

My dad was in the operating engineers union from the 40s-63 when the dam at greers ferry was finished and president kennedy came to the dedication . he worked on a big dam project in Kansas and Washington state.

The union was strong in Michigan and I think still is. I was an apprentice. I jumped equipment every chance I got. Most of the time I would back fill our cuts with a JD 350 or JD 450. that was in 1971. They were small enough to get into the cut and compact the backfill. Played with a D7 as well in a field. Ran a backhoe as well, a Case 580B. Had a lot of fun on that but loved to push dirt.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm
I didn't see this, but heard it from one of the machine operators that had worked on I35 in MN.   The road crew had a fair sized rock in their way so they tried moving it and had to dig down around it and finally with two dozers, got it pushed out of the way onto the edge of a farmers field... the next day the rock was in the middle of their roadway and they spent more time pushing it out back into the fellows field again.  Same thing the following day and the foreman said push it down the road and over the bank into the pasture...   Monday morning the rock was once again in the middle of the road... foreman finally told the crew to bury it...  so they buried it deep under the road.   And they never did figure out how the old man had been able to get that big rock out into the middle of the road with his tractor, thats all they saw for tracks. Makes a fellow wonder how he could do it when it took to dozers to move it.  Must have used some brains over sheer brawn... 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:25am
That's a great story. Heck they are still trying to figure out how the pyramids were built.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:47am
This all makes me think of a friend of mine who years ago had a yard foreman ask him if he could handle dynamite to get a huge stump out of the middle of their loading pad. He took a long bar, poked about 8 or 10 holes under the stump and loaded her up. They had to bring in their big dozer to fill her back up. There wasn't a piece left too big to carry in your arms.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:58pm
Got enough dynamite there Butch!!!

Love that line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:07pm
 [TUBE]hHXK2t50S-8[/TUBE]

and 1 more!

[TUBE]zzabmVIU6EQ[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 21 Oct 2017 at 8:21pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:17pm
Thank you. Great stuff
honeycuttcars View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeycuttcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:25pm
Who ever posted the video of Jimmy Farris...Hats off to you. My family and I laughed until I hurt myself. I recommend everyone watch it to the end. I was tempted to turn it off, but it was well worth the laugh...
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by honeycuttcars honeycuttcars wrote:

Who ever posted the video of Jimmy Farris...Hats off to you. My family and I laughed until I hurt myself. I recommend everyone watch it to the end. I was tempted to turn it off, but it was well worth the laugh...

Thanks, glad you enjoyed ole jimmy, he was quite the story teller.  Then there's this guy, Blaster Bates, an English raconteur, There's scads of his stories, on youtube, I highly recommend Geronimo, parts 1 and 2...Wink

Part 1: (note punch line is at the end of part 2, you'll have to go to youtube fer that...)

[TUBE]mKeAlvx1usk[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 05 Nov 2017 at 7:34pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 7:46pm
Haha yea Jimmie ferris that's good one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic