This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advise and opinion of service manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise and opinion of service manual
    Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:03am
Hello

Going to purchase a service manual for my HD16DC serial number 5272. I have an original parts and operators manual. where is the best source for the right manual for my tractor?
new or used? new or reprint is $121.00. Used 30 to 40 bucks.

Is there a good trusted site to purchase manual from.

Thank you
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
I like the originals if you can find them.  I have an original parts books but my service manual is a copy from Jensales I believe.  Some of the pictures arnt that good but it has the updated service bullitens etc  where an original might not unless you get a later copy.  It is quite thick (2 inches or so) and has had everything ive ever needed to know.  the used ones could be damaged or dirty/unreadable in the common repair areas

Edited by CAL(KS) - 05 Oct 2017 at 12:13pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 12:26pm
Thank you Cal. I would like an original as well. The one online is 450 pages, for my serial number and used. Its about $40.00. this cost concerns me as it is pretty low.

The reprint ones are all over $90.00 and one today was in a binder for 121.00. Almost 600 pages.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:53pm
Jerbob, I have owned several of the reprints and would never recommend 1 to anyone. I have had them for IHC, AC, and Oliver stuff. They all have black pictures, pages out of order or missing entirely. Find an original 1 on EBay or some place like that. You may put an ad on this site and will most likely find 1 that is correctly represented. Good luck Tom
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:27pm
My little experience. 

I got a Jensales one for our AC 45 grader complete with AC part number.  Print quality and illustrations etc are fine BUT for serious work on the engine you need that section of an HD 11 workshop manual.  Which actually covers the somewhat different cam bearings of the grader 516 with blower.  Fortunately a neighbour had one of these manuals.

It would seem that Allis set it up that way, not a Jensales initiative.

So make sure you are getting all that you need.

Edited by Ian Beale - 05 Oct 2017 at 8:30pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
Thank you for the advise HAd6. The cost for a reprint was high but if the quality was there I would do it. My operators and parts manual are original and are a huge source of information.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

My little experience. 

I got a Jensales one for our AC 45 grader complete with AC part number.  Print quality and illustrations etc are fine BUT for serious work on the engine you need that section of an HD 11 workshop manual.  Which actually covers the somewhat different cam bearings of the grader 516 with blower.  Fortunately a neighbour had one of these manuals.

It would seem that Allis set it up that way, not a Jensales initiative.

So make sure you are getting all that you need.

Thank you Ian. I am going to go go for an original manual. They are out there and I want yo be sure yo get a good legible manual.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:06pm
I just received my service manual for my HD16DC. I went with an original used version. Great Decision. Could not be happier. As clear as a new. 450 pages. No torn or dog eared pages, no greasy hand prints or notes on pages. Looked like it has been sitting on someones bookshelf all this time. A couple of pics for you.

Thank you for the good advise boys.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:01pm
Bloke here must have a loose leaf one.  He puts the needed pages in those plastic sheet protectors while he is using them.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:09pm
Better safe than sorry. I am taking my parts manual which is an original and looking pretty tired to a local printing company. They are going to punch holes in it and put it in a good lay flat binder. Will repair the cover page to keep it safe. Also doing it for my original Owners manual and the Shop manual that came with the Blade.

thanks Ian.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:41am
Whenever I need a manual nearby when I am working on something I usually photocopy the page or pages that I need and use that so that the manual stays clean and in good condition.
Jack of all trades, master of none
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by DonBC DonBC wrote:

Whenever I need a manual nearby when I am working on something I usually photocopy the page or pages that I need and use that so that the manual stays clean and in good condition.

Smart Don
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic