This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with 'B' Carburetor settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with 'B' Carburetor settings
    Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 2:18pm
I just brought home a '39 'B' that was restored in 2010. It runs, but doesn't always want to idle low. There are also times when it sputters while driving. I know some of the likely issues-

it has only been started 4 times in the last 7 years (all within the last two weeks),
there is likely some condensation and rust in the fuel tank, as well as the old fuel that was in the tank...

I'd like to pull the carb apart, and I'm wondering if anybody has a good baseline for adjustments I need to make for an approximate elevation of 5,200'. I'm not even sure how adjustable the carbs are...

This is my first tractor, and I'm very blessed to own it, and I'm very thankful to the family who sold it to me!  

1939 Allis-Chalmers "B" restored in 2010- very good condition.
Sponsored Links

drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 2:54pm
before you do all that I would definitely drain the gas tank and re fill it with newer than 7 yr old gas.
I'm also recommending a shop manual @ ~$20 as a great investment.
I bet you're gonna love that B!

I don't have my manual right here, but will check back later to see if you still need some adjustment numbers.
The Consultator View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 3:13pm
Thanks for the fast reply! I have a shop manual on the way, and there wasn't much gas in the tank at the time of purchase. I topped it off and added fuel system/carb treatment to it. In hindsight I probably should have drained the tank completely as you suggested, but I was excited to ride it around the neighborhood as soon as I got home. The fuel bowl has some debris at the bottom that resembles small particles of charcoal. There is no filter in the bowl, and I'm not sure if that was the OEM way. I know I need to bury my head in the TM's when I get them... Thank you for checking on the adjustment deal.
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 4:14pm
oh, there should definitely be a screen in the sediment bowl.
and no chunks at the bottom.

and I definitely do get it about the "need to ride" your first tractor.
my first - a '52 CA - got a good runaround for several days before I started addressing its issues.
and btw I have a 1941 "birthday B" in the final stages of refurb.

there are lots more with considerably more expertise and experience than me on here...
let's see what they have to say.

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 4:30pm
Gentlemen,  Let me thank you both for taking such good care of my favorite.  You will find the B to be a very dependable and a very basic tractor.  Especially a 1939.  
Pay close attention to cleaning the Gas Tank and line to the carburetor first.  Hard to believe how much junk can accumulate there.  You may want to get a filter for the settlement bowl cause it does help  
If you go as far as to disassemble the carb be certain to do it on a newspaper so you can see any small parts that may fall.  Also get a very fine wire.  At the base of the carb there are two very fine jets that seem to accumulate gunk.  I remember Pop cleaning them on a newspapered table.  Using good carb cleaner may be sufficient.  That has come a long way since the 40's.
Please continue to take good care of my favorite gentlemen.
DrobCA would love to see pictures when available.
Good Luck!
Bill Long  

Edited by Bill Long - 19 Sep 2017 at 4:33pm
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:56pm
I also have a '39 B, plenty of help available on this forum. Recommend that you buy parts from the sponsors.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:59pm
If it has a screen you will only be able to see it when you remove the bowl and look up. You can still get rust fines in the bottom of the bowl with a good screen. That type of rust normally stays in the bottom in a thick paste that needs dug out if it has been there long. After removing the bowl you will most likely need a new bowl gasket after setting and drying out. You may not need to adjust the carburetor after getting clean new gas since it runs now. If it has the original carburetor it only has an adjustment for idle air fuel mixture. It does not adjust idle speed. Idle speed is adjusted with a stop screw on the back of the carburetor the determines how far open the throttle plate is in the carburetor neck when the throttle lever is pushed all the way back.

Edited by Dick L - 19 Sep 2017 at 7:01pm
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:54pm
My 49 B cut off on me and I took the sediment bowl off and had a good stream of fuel .Took it off again and relized   I had not took screen out first time . It was sealed off from ethoel gas . Cranked good then .Fuel comes from tank into bowl and up through screen  catching junk in bottom of bowl .Gas goes through screen but water will not.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 7:55am
Thank you all for the help so far. I won't be able to get to anything until Sunday, which will probably be the day I begin to take photos and annotating issues. I'll order a new bowl gasket and screen today.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 12:16pm
the fine "crap" gets in the carb bowl and makes a deposit and sticks inside the main jet.... take the carb apart , clean the bowl, poke a fine wire thru the jets ( remove them if they will come out), then blow out with compressed air and reassemble.

Screen in the sediment bowl is OK, but really don't do much good. Put an inline auto filter on the tractor for at least the first few months of use to help clean what comes out of the tank.... that's a real benefit and help keep carb clean next time.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 2:08pm
Will do Gentlemen, thank you.

I plan on keeping this tractor in the family and passing it down as long as we can. My 2 1/2 year-old son already calls it his. It pretty much is...

Honestly, last month was the first time I've seen a significant number of AC's. It was at the 42nd Annual Pioneer Power "The Good Old Days & Threshing Show," in Hanely Falls, MN. I had never seen a 'B' before, and I immediately fell in love with them. The moment I saw them, I knew I had to own one. Fortunately, my wife is very supportive and understanding. I live in the city, and I have a standard two-car garage- The 'B' fits nicely! 

I'd like to hear some feedback on Fuel Tank Liner kits. Has anyone used them with positive results? Is it worth the cost and effort?

Edited by The Consultator - 20 Sep 2017 at 2:24pm
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:21pm
I recommend using a torch tip cleaning tool to get into the passages. I have used Red-Kote tank liner several times with no problems. Be sure to follow instructions. Clean, clean, and clean again.
WD45 Diesel, RC,CA,IB, B, G, 616, Early B-10, D-10, Terra Tiger, 95G spreader, SC blade
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:57am
I would start at the fuel tank. Take the take to the local Radiator shop and see if they tank and seal fuel tanks. Best way to fly. While the tank is out getting done, throughly clean the fuel delivery system. We offer Carburetor rebuilding/restoring if interested. Once everything is clean and back together, it should run like a champ! (unless it has an ignition issue to) Oh, did I mention we do Magneto repair & rebulding also?
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:29am
and like others on here I recommend Steve@B&B for anything.
(except maybe a basketball team...)
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by drobCA drobCA wrote:

and like others on here I recommend Steve@B&B for anything.
(except maybe a basketball team...)

I won't be asking anyone to play basketball with me anytime soon... I'm terrible at it. Not only am I too white to ball, I'm fairly certain that I'm too white to fish because I'm terrible at that as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic