This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What am I missing? '40 B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What am I missing? '40 B
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:50am
I have a 1940 "B" that was operating well until we had 40" of snow this weekend. I got it stuck and all the sudden the wheels quit turning. The PTO still works fine for running the hydraulic. pump for loader. Yesterday I removed the wheels, hydraulic. pump, PTO housing, trans. cover, final drive pans, and inspected clutch disk and throw out bearing. Clutch seems to work fine. I didn't see any metal or discoloration in the fluids. Nothing seems to be overly loose and all the gears look intact. I put all back together and replaced the fluids. Still not moving. What should I look at next? I can pull everything apart again and provide photos if that would help. Any advice is appreciated. Good thing this is Colorado and the snow is melting on it's own. Believe it or not 42" on the ground Saturday and this morning maybe 6". Thanks again for any ideas

Edited by ihscout - 22 May 2017 at 10:15pm
'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
Sponsored Links

Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:55am
did you check the ring and pinion gears?
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:51am
As far as? Everything looked intact and spun when rotated. 

'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:01pm
I would bet sheared the rivets on ring gear . I had it happen to a G tractor. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:03pm
Are there rivits that hold the gear to the ring?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:09pm
If the pto is turning, then the clutch and driveshaft to the transmission are working.  You can put in gear and let out the clutch and look into the two brake cavities and see if there is input from the bevel gear into the final drive cases. You can also take off the pto cover and start the tractor ( for a minute) and see if the bevel gear is being driven.  Either the transmission is not driving the bevel gear, or one of the final drives is broken inside. Like being stuck in the mud.. all the drive goes to one wheel and the other just sets there.. One final broken will take all the drive and the good wheel gets nothing.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:15pm
Thanks. I'll recheck the final drives.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:29pm
One hand check of the final drives is to jack the back end off the ground. With the engine stopped and the transmission in gear, turning one rear wheel forward should turn the other backwards if the final drives and the differential are working. If they  turn the same direction the transmission to differential connection is broken.

Gerald J.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:31pm
Thanks all
 I had run the tractor briefly on Sunday when the wheels, hydra. pump, pto case , trans. cover and final drive pans were off. The hand brake mechs were also off.
 Putting it in every gear at idle the wheels turned in opposite directions.
 While it was turning, I stopped one side by hand (dangerous or not?), the opposing side kept spinning.
 Gerald J. ? If I can stop one side pretty much effortlessly, could that put the problem at the Trans. / diff. connection? And, if so, what should my next diagnostic step be?    

Edited by ihscout - 22 May 2017 at 7:32pm
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:21pm
It shouldn't be very hard to stop one side if the differential is lubricated normally.

Turning in opposite directions when in gear with the engine idling hints to me at a dragging brake or bearing on the side running in the driven direction causing that shaft to run slower than the differential gears and so causing the opposite side to spin in the opposite direction.

Gerald J.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:00pm
The brake shoes were off and nothing seems to be worn or binding. It seems as though something is completely unhooked if that makes sense. The pinion shaft seems to be operating the ring gear okay
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:38pm
Before you tore it down, you should have simply jacked it up and applied both brakes while in gear and see if it would pull the engine down, and watched the PTO shaft to see ifit stopped turning.
  I would have thought both wheels would have turned in the same direction until you grab one wheel and the other wheel will spin twice as fast...
 But when you have it in gear with the engine off, and turn the one wheel forward, the other will turn backwards.

Gerald, what you are saying does not make sense to me , I would expect the brake / bearing dragging side would simply stop and the free wheel to turn faster and no wheel turning backwards.

IHScout, bolt that PTO case back on with a couple bolts, engage the PTO and see if you can turn the engine by the pto shaft. That should tell you if you stripped the clutch disk/drive shaft hub's rivets. if pto turns and drags a little and does not turn engine, that probably is your problem. if it turns the engine without slipping, then you got tranny and back problems.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
pumpkinman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkinman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:56pm
CHECK  REAR WHEEL HUBS ONE MAY BE STRIPED  
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:58am
Thanks
I'll check the hubs next. 
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:30pm
Yes, the hub would be my guess
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:17pm
IHScout,  You have received some excellent information from some outstanding mechanics. I just want to see you get that B running.  Can't have my favorite now working right.
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  I would vote for one of the hub centers to be stripped.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:50pm
Me too. Happened to a friend of mine. But almost eighty years old. Why not?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:53pm
If you strip the hub splines on one rear wheel, it should have quite a bit of SLOP and WOBBLE and be obvious...... but its worth looking at.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:00pm
one good test is with the motor running and in gear.  apply the left brake and see if the right wheel starts to drive... then apply the right brake and see if the left wheel starts to drive... If one side works, then you have found a final drive problem ( hub / shaft) ..... if neither side will drive, then you have no output from the bevel gear..

with the PTO housing off, put tractor in gear ... use a prybar to pry the bevel gear in a rotary direction.. should  TRY to turn the pinion and rotate the transmission and motor.. If you can move the bevel gear, is the pinion rotation ??  If YES, then problem is in the trans or main clutch.

Dick L had a problem last month with a stripped drive shaft from the clutch to the transmission.. that might drag enough to drive the PTO, but not enough to move the tractor.......
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

If you strip the hub splines on one rear wheel, it should have quite a bit of SLOP and WOBBLE and be obvious...... but its worth looking at.

Also if the hub is stripped the nut would be turning even though the wheel didn't turn. this you could see by looking at the outside of the wheels. Seems you would have some kind of noise where it is slipping in the hub.
I think after reading all that has been checked I would check the pinion shafts by removing the caps to see if the gears are moving when the tractor is not. If they are turning I would then check the bull gears under the axle. The axle could have twisted off.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:22am
Would the wheel wobble if the hub was broken or damaged somehow? Because when in gear and clutch out the right side wheel has a wobble to it.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by ihscout ihscout wrote:

Would the wheel wobble if the hub was broken or damaged somehow? Because when in gear and clutch out the right side wheel has a wobble to it.

If it is wobbling without moving forward or backwards you have found a stripped hub or axle and most likely both.(Would the wheel wobble if the hub was broken or damaged)

Edited by Dick L - 26 May 2017 at 11:54am
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:03pm
If its one of the hubs when you hit the brake on that side the tractor should move if the brake holds
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

If its one of the hubs when you hit the brake on that side the tractor should move if the brake holds

Maybe both sides are stripped.
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:03pm
So,,,. It was the hub. The axle splines look fine.
Where can a guy get one of those hubs?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Maybe both sides are stripped.

I've heard of a lot of things happening to a B but not both hubs stripping at once because as soon as 1 strips the tractor quits pulling.What could happen in theory
and practice are two different things.And that's about as a long shot as me running on foot and winning the KY Derby(LOL)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:54pm
I had a B tractor with stripped out hub. I bought a good spare on e-bay for about $75.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:57pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:08pm
It'd be a long drive but I have about 10 B parts tractors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic