This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 Dozer drivehaft to transmission Came apart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 Dozer drivehaft to transmission Came apart
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 1:25pm
While I was pulling  a tree there was a pop, when I inspected it I found where the drive shaft goes into the transmission wasn't centered or sitting right anymore I removed the drive shaft I don't know what else to do. It still runs and it will roll downhill in neutral. pics WONT UPLOAD TRY AGAIN LATER HELP!
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 3:24pm
The rear drive shaft is bolted to the imput shaft and the input shaft in lock in housing by the bearings  snap rings
Darrell90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:58pm
 so you think the snap ring probly broke,if so I need to remove the front housing that also has the shifter on top and replace snap ring . when taking housing off do you have any advice, Im a little worried how the gear shifter adapts to the main trans.  Thank you tons,This dozer is as old as me.

shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:51pm
they made them things that long ago? (poke,poke)
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 3:11am
Just be thankfull.

I found that I needed (badly) a cross kit for the back U-joint on that shaft for a FA 10.

Supplier's comment was

"Just as well you found that.  If that lets go it usually takes out the front cover of the transmission"
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:47am
Are there generic yokes and cross parts for the drive shaft? The salvage parts I find are usually as beat up as the parts I am trying to replace.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:53am
The input shaft  rear has a bearing  and the end pinion shaft go in the input shaft rear bearing
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:01am
if it is the input bearing you should be able to repair without going into the transmission.   it is located behind the 4 bolt retainer that holds the seal.  the bearing should have a snap ring on it that locates the depth of the bearing into the case.  its possible the snap ring broke and allowed the bearing to move inward into the trans or the bearing is out.  when you remove the input yoke and bearing retainer you will see what is going on.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 3:29pm
I should have these parts ,yoke,input shaft and bearings
Darrell90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:13am
when I take the housing that bolts onto the front of the trans,that housing also has the gear shift on top and the input shaft in front, how will the gear shift attach to the trans. thanks
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 11:15am
ok i looked at the parts book.  its a little different setup from the bigger dozers but still not too problematic.  looks to me like you will need to remove the shifter and then the front housing can be removed.   the input shaft will come out with the housing and is supported on 2 bearings in that housing.  the shift rails should stay in the transmission and not give trouble once the shifter is removed.  the shifter is on a swivel which is bolted from either side at the top of the shift tower.  pg 126 of pdf.

hopefully someone with experience or a service manual can confirm this

you can see the parts breakdown here.  pg 122 of pdf

Edited by CAL(KS) - 02 Dec 2016 at 11:16am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:25pm
You need to removed each side shiffter lever and pull the lever from the notches and you have the boot seal ass and 2 seal rings on input shaft
Darrell90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:30pm
Thank you I really aperacate the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic