This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydraulic hose fitting question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EDWD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic hose fitting question
    Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 11:05am
I just replaced a hydraulic hose for one of the front bucket rams. I torqued them up good and tight, but still have a small but noticeable leak on one end. Can I use Teflon tape on the threads, or should I put an o-ring on the fitting? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 11:41am
I'd depends it there o-ring fittings or not. If they are they should have an o-ring. If its pipe thread the tape will work.
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 1:05pm
I have used liquid thread sealer used for gas fitting (and any threads for plumbing) to be very successful. It is good up to 6000 PSI. I would smear a bit on the cone of the hose fitting...sparingly because you don't want any excess to travel through the hydraulics.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:49pm
Some hose fittings have threads that fit together but are not meant to connect. Example NPT (taper) and NP (straight) The straight fitting is mated to a swivel fitting that seals on the inside diameter.

Do you have the correct fitting combination?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 6:01pm
What dozer said is right.  Get the right fittings, and you won't have leaks.  be careful, leaking hyd fittings can spray an almost invisible stream of high pressure hyd fluid, that can cut through, and inject itself into skin...
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 6:12pm
Dave is right and nothing sucks worse then a hot oil bath. Been there when a line blew. I got lucky I guess got a cut and burn on one arm when it blew on a skid steer.   Actually the same model Les is working on. You is stuck in them when things go wrong no real jumping off.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 8:39pm
Do not use TEFLON TAPE on hyd fittings - pipe dope , liquid teflon pipe dope, or such - the tape may work but will also migrate into pumps and cylinders and create problems . 
 Most people do not apply the tape correctly as it needs to be spaced back 1 1/2 threads from the end of fitting so as to NOT migrate into flow (be it gas, fluid, or compressed air or gas.) For natural gas and propane a special tape is available also but is easier to use pipe dope.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:30am
Some SAE fittings will start and the nut tighten on JIC fittings which is what my tractor has. They will not seal as SAE is 45degree flare and JIC 37degree. Can realy screw up a fitting.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:39am
flare ends can also crack, very hard to see but still leak

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:50pm
If they are flare fittings, and when tight still leak it may have a nick in one of the seats ! At most hydraulic repair shops they make an insert that is a tiny copper cup. It goes between the two fittings and will usually seal small leaks !
EDWD45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EDWD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:43pm
Thanks to all that replied. The guy that made up the replacement hose said I had JIC fittings. The swivel end tightened up just fine with no leak, and the other end is where the leak developed. When I took the old hose off, there was an o-ring on the straight end, and the guy said that's not necessary with JIC fittings. Well, it's a 1982 model, and maybe back in those days an o-ring was appropriate (?).
        Ed
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 2:16pm
"O" rings are not used with JIC fittings. The fact that there was one there says that the hydraulic joint was previously damaged. JIC's are metal to metal seal. Perhaps it was an SAE to JIC improper connection. As previously posted a copper washer can be used to seal a damaged connection. "O" rings are used in ORB and ORFS fittings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic