This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriGlide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H6
    Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:47pm
I have a 1940 something AC 6 
Has a 371 Detroit Engine that the governor is no working all rusted up
Has a stuck injector and got it freed up, can run manually working fuel rail
the Transmission is stuck in gear
Steering clutches may need adjusted
Non adjustable blade

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1971 6 for 1800.00
It has a broken sprocket axle on the right rear (looking from the back forward)
It doesn't have a Detroit Engine, the oil pressure was about 30 psi
Is the oil pressure too low 
Engine does not have a turbo
Has a manual tilt blade

Will parts interchange between these to machines mainly sprocket axels

Should I go ahead and buy the 71 model and replace the axle
About how much does an axle cost

I have about 10 acres of bottom with 4-6" trees i want to clear, will a 6 be big enough

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 4:23am
uploads/5937/FA_10_Treepusher.JPG

One iof these helps.

Just in case should have a photo of the tree pusher on our FA 10
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:34am
Post pictures to better identify the machines you are talking about. The HD7 had a 3-71 Detroit. The HD6 has the HD344 or 6000 series 4 cylinder motor. Parts are not interchangeable between the HD7 and HD6.
TriGlide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriGlide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:51am
Dozer,

I went out and checked Model number on Detroit powered dozer earlier this morning.
You are correct it is a HD7. So no interchangeability of parts.
The Serial number is 13524 which I believe makes it a 1947 model

Not sure where to start trying to get the governor to work correctly so it will idle and throttle correctly. I guess I could start taking it apart working my way back to the Blower and down the linkage on the side of the block.
 I have another 371 Engine not sure if the bolt patterns are the same as it is a new motor that was used in the oilfield.

I like the idea of the 6 being a 1971 model just not sure of sprocket shaft being available as well as bearings and seals and how hard it is to replace.

Thanks for the info.

TriGlide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriGlide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:54am
Ian,

Thanks for the picture of the push bar.
The 6 is supposed to have one with it, just wasn't there with the dozer at the time.

I can make one as well if the one with it is too light. That picture gives me a lot of detail to pattern one.

Thanks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 1:14pm
Detroit Diesels are what are considered as universal blocks, can be L or R rotation, blower on L or R, just have to assemble as needed with correct parts.  Stationary engines did not use same style governor internals as I remember a they sat at one speed generally all day.  The old governor is rebuildable, simple task with the correct manuals and access to worn/damaged pieces.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:01am
You didn't say too much about the HD6. If you are still considering it the axle and sprockets come with 6 spline and 20 spline types. If it is a 1971 it has the 20 spline sprocket, metallic steering clutch, oil master clutch and the 2nd generation motor. You said the HD6 has 30psi oil pressure so it runs. $1800 is a low price for a running HD6. If the steering clutches, track adjusters or the under carriage are bad then it is not such a good deal. I had an HD7 that I liked. Now I have (2) HD6G's that I like more. Post pictures.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
Big spline axle I have - for HD 6 / HD5 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 18 Oct 2016 at 3:43pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
TriGlide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriGlide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:38pm
Dozer,

not sure if I will buy the 6 or not.
The guy won't answer or return calls or text

I tried to locate a shaft here locally to no avail, seller said they had two on the shelf.
Oh well. I will try again tomorrow
I was thinking it was a 6 spline form what I could see that was something that i was going to check on. That and the serial # for sure

That will tell the real story

There were some other concerns I had with the dozer as well, no air filter, not enough fluid to properly operate bald, fresh coat of paint (yellow and BlackAngry
I am still interested in the dozer if I can just get a hold of the seller.

Thanks for the info. Will post more as I find out.

TriGlide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriGlide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:42pm
Coke,

I have not bought the 6 yet.

I think it is a 6 spline

air these shafts something that breaks on a regular basis or is it from abuse / neglect

If I get the 6 I will check with you on pricing

Thanks
donoman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:58am
They break because the spline design had sharp radius's but they still did a long turn of service the later fine spline was a development like truck axles the fine splines did not shear, my first HD6e (Buda) broke both axles and were replaced with fine spline axles and sprockets in 1974 when parts were off the shelf, the bigger dozers had fine splines but still had issues until bigger out board bearings were fitted
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:51am
The 6 spline axle was replaced by the 20 spline in 1959. The 20 spline was offered as service replacement at that time. The sprocket and axles are interchangeable so you could have either. The sprocket retaining nut on the 20 spline is larger than the 6 spline.

Would someone post the dimensions of the (2) different sprocket retaining hex nuts

TriGlide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriGlide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:20pm
I talked with seller today.
he is supposed to send me serial number and spline configuration as well as contact info for parts on shelf

I will look at dozer when I get back in two weeks form now

Thanks for all the info
raptuous View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptuous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:02pm
Thought this might be a good post to inquire on rather than start a new thread.

I've got a HD 6G with the 20 spline rear sprockets but they're pretty worn out.  I found a set of New Old Stock 6 spline sprockets for pretty much scrap price.  Anyone know if the shaft diameter was the same or if it's viable to have the 6 spline machined out to fit my 20 spline axle?  Any advice appreciated.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 5:56am
Probably not cost effective to have resplined but could have a weld shop remove the sprocket ring with a plasma cutter on both machines and use them for replacements. Seals are now non existent, bearings are still available.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
Henderson Manufacturing Pittsburg, Texas (903) 856 3658
www.hendersonmfgco.com has AC sprocket rings and track adjusters.
I would purchase the used sprockets to have because they are difficult to find.
I would consider rebuilding the existing sprockets on the machine
Inserts can be purchased or made and welded on your sprocket.
raptuous View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptuous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:34am
Thanks for the responses guys.

I checked with my friend who is doing the work, he can get pretty much unlimited machining work for free so that's not a problem, same with welding or fabrication.  The sprockets I'm looking at one is brand new never been installed.  

Next question he threw at me is if I have any idea for finding a track chain?  It's worn down to the center pin on more than a few links.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:56am
Welding on sprocket rings is a normal part of repair - the rings can be installed without removing the sprocket by cutting a section out of ring - then rewelding it once slipped over old spokes . 
 It's not worth trying to machine sprocket center or other such modification or changing axles to match sprockets . 
 As far as track - it's getting hard to find good track or parts to rebuild track if your link height is within specifications . 
 These old machines are getting closer to the time when no parts will be there to fix them and will soon be display items and not working machines .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 10:50am
Some 20 splennes sproket shaft should't fitt on the machine and do you have the part number on the 20 spleene shaft I could check
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:27am
Sorry to say rails no longer exist in new stock, may get lucky and find less than worn slick used in places.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 6:30am
I have (4) chains I'm not using.
raptuous View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptuous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:59am
I've got to take off pretty soon for a few months work in the oil refineries but I will follow up on those chains when I'm back this summer.  They're in really good condition?  Mine have several links that are worn through to the center pin.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:45pm
I'm wondering what the pins and bushings look like. Could you get a picture of them too? How about your rollers and front idlers? I assume you can still get grouser bar           Would it be possibly to weld bar stock, and it would be hardened enough to weld in on the rollers and rails. But I don't know. It would be one heck of a job. I welded a full set onto a set of street pads and they went into the woods to skid logs and not a one of them broke. So obviously they're hard enough. While you're out and about on your job there are probably junk yards out on the back 40 that could be scouted for what you need. And from what I hear Darrel ND might have a set buried somewhere in his shop. LOL

that 
Jeepguru04 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepguru04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:43pm
Do you happen to have 6 spline axle
Shaft for an hd6?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:42am
I am still have a sprocket shaft 6 spleene for HD6
Jeepguru04 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepguru04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:56am
How much would you want for it I’m
In need of one
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:27pm
As far as your dozer being big enough to push a few trees, anything is possible. I once took out a stump that was about three feet across with my HD 5. Admittedly it was too small for the job but it gotter done. The next problem was loading the enormous root ball. Got that done too. So if you just have a few trees to remove you can get it done. Just take your time and be careful.   Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic