This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

motor rotation ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: motor rotation ?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 5:37pm
Ok new to all this . Bought a ( T811 )  with a blown motor not even sure what it had in it . But bought a 16.5 hp briggs with CW rotation . But I'm thinking this mower came with a CCW rotation motor ?  And the ID tag is so wore I can barley make out any numbers on it . Any help at all is great ! I just tried to upload pictures but it tells me they are to large ? What's up with that ?

Edited by Buckster - 04 Oct 2016 at 3:52pm
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:27pm
OK, I'm thinking the original engine is a B&S 11HP, so maybe a 252707 which IS CCW..
B&S tags are model....type....code
model (252707) describe what block/bearings/bore...
type tells you what 'options', customer specific
code is the yrmtdy..... information

Now I've never seens  CW B&S engine,so I have to ask, please post the model/type/code numbers.

Also,I assume it has an electric starter so easy to confirm CCW or CW GUT... be SURE +12 goes to starter and negative goes to case !! I had one where the guy reversed the power leads! Starter spun but would not engage !!

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:49pm
which end are you looking at ?  If the motor is vertical shaft and you are looking at the fan / starter end , I think they turn clockwise...... if you have a horizontal shaft motor, you normally look from the back ( drive end) and it would be counterclockwise  ( but clockwise looking at the fan)
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 7:10pm
Do they even make CW and CCW engines?  Gotta be careful there Steve.  Allis put the fan to the rear on the older mowers, so from the seat my B110 engine does spin CW when in the seat (looking at the fan).
AaronSEIA
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 9:11pm
yes, I would believe that Aaron. Turn the motor around so the front is in the back and your still looking at the FAN end ( even tho its in the back) so I would ASSUME it is driving  clockwise looking at the FAN end, even tho its not the front of the tractor.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:42am
Yup, thats what it does.  Fan end clockwise.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:51am
shaft rotation is always stated when viewed from the 'PTO' end. That's the 'bottom' of vertical engines,always opposite end from flywheel.
Even engines that have two output shafts, like the Kohler on an LGT125 or the B-112, it's the shaft on the end opposite of the flywheel that determines rotation and every 4 stroke i've ever worked on was CCW.
Now 2 strokes are 'fun' They WILL run either CW or CCW ! How they run depends on which way YOU spin them to start.

Jay

wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 1:40pm
On automotive engines the diection of rotation is determined from front of engine and all else from driver seat .Lawn tractors front would be fan end . AC used BS engines and turned them around and pulled from fan end .Still c w .Main shaft is in front of tractor.Very few ccw engines.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:39pm
YEP... that's what I said... depends on which end your looking at .... Jay-- YOUR RIGHT.... murry--YOUR RIGHT TOO !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 6:38pm
neat, we're all right !!
one of them 'glass is 1/2 empty, or glas is 1/2 full' , depends on your reference...

I think 'small engine' mfrs think the reference should be the end where the power comes out...though the B-112 I have has TWO shafts...so I can be right and wrong at the same time ??

Jay

Buckster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:07am
The starter that came off the working motor that went bad was a CCW
Buckster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:15am
And the motor that went bad turned CCW so the shaft had to turn that way correct ? So the belts or pulley will turn that way also ?  I think I wasted money on a motor that just won't do the job unless fabrication is involved such as adding pulleys and longer belts . I don't have that kind of time , money,. All I really need to know is my guess that the starter that turned the blown motor is in fact the correct .. At this point I'm so corn fuzed I don't have a clue as to what I need or want to do with this A.C.  UGH..   
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:15am
All geared starter motors for small B&S engines spin opposite to engine direction,at least when they are properly wired. Since they have permanent magnets in them IF you put +12 to case and -ve to lstud they WILL spin the 'wrong way'. neighbour found that out when 'helpful kid' put the battery in her rider !
Belt driven starters,like on a B-112, spin the SAME way as the 'blower' end of the motor, clockwise for a B-112.The 'starter-generator' on mine has a nice BIG sticker on it saying 'clockwise'.

Jay

Buckster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:19am
If the motor starter turns CCW then the shaft would turn the same correct ? Shocked
Buckster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:20am
I think I would love to sell this if any takers out there ? Ouch
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 12:30pm
If you have two gears , one driving the other, then ONE turns CCW and the other turn CW...... If the starter is gear driving the motor, they turn OPPOSITE directions.
---unless the starter drives on the INSIDE teeth of the flywheel, instead of the OUTSIDE.

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 Oct 2016 at 12:31pm
Buckster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:56pm
the flywheel turns CCW.
But after all the talks on here I'm gonna have to dig this turd out and see..lol But I relly do like it and really want to get it fixed without have to take it to only be ripped off by a shop.

Edited by Buckster - 04 Oct 2016 at 4:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic