This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Al in Great Lakes Tugboat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Al in Great Lakes Tugboat
    Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:43am
Checkout the Big Al engine in this Great Lakes Tugboat.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/5684421104.html
Sponsored Links

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:43am
Not a "Big Al" but, a 21,000 series engine with a water cooled exhaust manifold.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:24am
Originally posted by ACjack ACjack wrote:

Not a "Big Al" but, a 21,000 series engine with a water cooled exhaust manifold.

Ok. Please share how you can tell the difference.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
Wonder what that would cost to move to Lake Rathbun Iowa? 5' prop would really stir up the fish!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 3:31pm
Someone should buy the tug and have refitted into a yacht. I've seen it done before.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:43pm
Shameless could buy that, and cruise around off the coast of Nebraska
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:53pm
That one's been up, a while, must want too much, fer it...
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:46pm
lmao....good one creston!
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:20am
  Big Al was the truck engine. The vast majority made were the 25000 engine and very few (almost none) were the 21000. They were painted either purple or dove gray. Engines painted purple went to Frieghtliner and the ones painted dove gray were shipped to Kenworth. No engines from the Harvey engine plant were "private" sale. All were sold to Frieghtliner, Kenworth or warranty replacement.
  At the Harvey engine plant there was a department (department 76) called Commercial Products. That department outfitted various engines for commercial use as ordered from AC dealers. Some engines were ordered for use in a marine environment or a closed in space and those got the water cooled exhaust manifold. As I remember the engines for marine use were sent/ sold to Gray Marine.
  In the mid 70's I was the inspector in that department and a unit couldn't be shipped till I inspected it and passed it.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:20am
Still impressive to see one that remains in viable service.  I remember the Big Al series and at the last of the 80's the issues with finding repair parts so a great deal of the Big Al series were transplanted with Cummins or Cats, sorry to say I had done two such conversions in the late 80's with the old engines worn slick placed in trade skids for a core value that I know ended with a scrap pile.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:43am
Originally posted by ACjack ACjack wrote:

Big Al was the truck engine. The vast majority made were the 25000 engine and very few (almost none) were the 21000. They were painted either purple or dove gray. Engines painted purple went to Frieghtliner and the ones painted dove gray were shipped to Kenworth. No engines from the Harvey engine plant were "private" sale. All were sold to Frieghtliner, Kenworth or warranty replacement.
  At the Harvey engine plant there was a department (department 76) called Commercial Products. That department outfitted various engines for commercial use as ordered from AC dealers. Some engines were ordered for use in a marine environment or a closed in space and those got the water cooled exhaust manifold. As I remember the engines for marine use were sent/ sold to Gray Marine.
  In the mid 70's I was the inspector in that department and a unit couldn't be shipped till I inspected it and passed it.

ACJack, I really appreciate your shared knowledge & personal AC employment experience - Thank you. I have only read that AC marketed the 6138I(25,000), 6138t( 21,000H), 6138LT(17,000), 670t(3500), 649t(2900), & 433t(2300) engines for trucks(only a few engines - 6138 & 670?) and commercial (marine, mines, generators, stationary PU, pumps, etc..). I belove the 670 was offered for small delivery truck engines. Was there any other engines offered by AC for truck and/or commercial marketing??
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:46am
belove ?? Spell check got me.
believe.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 8:48pm
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:52am
ACJack, I really appreciate your shared knowledge & personal AC employment experience - Thank you. I have only read that AC marketed the 6138I(25,000), 6138t( 21,000H), 6138LT(17,000), 670t(3500), 649t(2900), & 433t(2300) engines for trucks(only a few engines - 6138 & 670?) and commercial (marine, mines, generators, stationary PU, pumps, etc..). I belove the 670 was offered for small delivery truck engines. Was there any other engines offered by AC for truck and/or commercial marketing?? 

Not sure of what was "marketed" for truck use but, while I was the inspector for commercial products (74-76) the only ones that I OK'd for shipment were the Big Al's (25000 & 21000) and a few 3500 and if I remember correctly those were shipped to Milwaukee to power some garbage trucks for the city.
 Every engine series that was built at the Harvey plant was offered for "commercial" sale to AC dealers. They were configured for just about kind of use. 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:53am
Well the link above says the posting has expired... guess Shameless musta got it...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic