This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 Model D motor grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgrag984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1949 Model D motor grader
    Posted: 11 May 2016 at 7:08pm
My father and I purchased a 1949 model D motor grader from the local village 5 or 6 years ago.  After his recent passing, I have been wanting to get it up and running. Its only issue, other than faded paint, is the moldboard lift cylinders leak so badly that running down the road you have to continuously pull back on the lift lever. I'm looking for the packing kit for the lift cylinders.  Anybody point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:06am
I took one from mine to a local hydraulics repair shop. The only problem that I had was they didn't contact me to ask me if I wanted the ram re-chromed and they went ahead and did it which tripled the cost for the repair. Otherwise the cost would not have been bad. There is nothing unique about these cylinders that a good hydraulic shop should have what you need.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 2:49am
Don

Why rechromed?

Here they seem to have no trouble just fitting new rod material.  Our local bloke did get the tilt rod on our FA 10 rechromed due to the ball end.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:45pm
Ian, I guess it is common practice for shops here on the west coast where equipment is exposed to salt in the air from being close to salt water. I guess the ram showed some pitting so they went ahead and re-chromed the ram without calling me first. Since my D Grader is somewhat of a hobby machine I certainly would not have had it re-chromed. They did discount the cost for the re-chroming because they admitted that they should have called me first.
When I first moved here I was surprised that all my tools started to show rust. I keep packets of desiccant in all my tool boxes now to minimize corrosion. Both of my vehicles also showed signs of rusting shortly after I moved here as well. I love living near the ocean but you do have to be aware that it is a corrosive atmosphere. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
jgrag984 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgrag984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 10:23pm
Thanks guys. I had figured that as an option, but my neighbor said he could rebuild them if i bought the packing kits, in exchange for cutting a waterway down his drive.  

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 3:53am
DonBC

Salt effects aren't our problem

But with a rod like that you'll be pointed to a new length of chrome hydraulic rod with some machining on the thread end and the fitting on the other welded on if yours is useable or reman if not.  Our local bloke made up new ball joint ends for the plade cyl rods on the FA 10 - some prior genius had a new thread cut on the end - so too short - and that was where I found the large nut in a prior posting.

The tilt was rechromed because of the ball end - as the tilt doesn't work properly now I'm not sure it didn't get shortened either.  More exploring required.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 4:15am
For the record on D graders and FWIW

Power steering adaptation at

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=1706419

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic