This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Estimating Heavy haul prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estimating Heavy haul prices
    Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:44am
I've been trying to figure out how much it costs to haul these big machines. Last summer I sent a RFQ to a heavy haul company. I think it was heavyhaul.com , not really sure now. The request was to haul a CAT D6 9U, 160 miles. First quote was for $800, second quote was for $600, $400, and then $200. All the quotes were from the same company. I explained in the RFQ that I did not own the machine , I wanted an estimate so I would know what kind of offer I should make to the seller. The CAT sold before I could make a deal. Then I kept getting emails from HeavyHaul, please send us the exact address, our drivers are ready, we need to schedule this .....etc. I would reply that I did not purchase the machine. This happened at least 3 times, each email was from a different person but, from the same company (HH).
So my question is: Is there a way for me to estimate shipping costs? $2.00 per mile? per pound of equipment loaded? I really don't like going through the RFQ process or is what I need to do for each machine I'm interested in.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:26pm
Here in the Midwest hauling is $2.50 a loaded mile.  If is 160 miles away and hauled back $400 here.  They will sometimes add a fuel charge to that or have a dead mile charge with some carriers but never more than  $.50/mile no-load.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:15pm
I retired 10 years ago now but when moving my heaviest piece that weighed 55,000lbs. I would hire local contractor with 3 axle detatchable gooseneck lowboy. It was all short hauls not more than 50 loaded miles so they charged $95 per hr.. That rate was from the time truck left the yard till it was back in their yard. They were however great to work with and would try to do my move when truck was moving some of their stuff near where my machine was to save me money and their time.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the input.  I'll use the $2.50 as a rule of thumb.

$95/hr isn't that bad when the truck is rolling at highways speeds.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 6:33am
re: the 'pestering emails'... simple 'cure' is to give them the address of the local town haul or cop shop ! Say you should be there at 9 AM waiting for them. Of course you never show. They do and get into a whack of traffic and trouble. I have ZERO tolerance for multiple emails, phone calls ,etc. I'm polite the first time, after that it's game on.
I've NOT bought Orange as the shipping costs were greater than the purchase price !...sigh...

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 7:18am
I would be happy to pay $2.50 per load mile. My last experience was 2 years ago when I sold my HD6G. The buyer found an online freight broker to hall the machine 103 miles. He paid $1,200 The driver told me his company got $600 for my pickup and he had another machine on the trailer. A quote last month was $3.80 per load mile.

New York state local haulers have gone out of business because of EPA regulations. Construction businesses have insurance that only cover them for a 50 mile radius.

You have to clean the machine before transport. If you drop any dirt the state police ticket the driver for insecure load.

I wonder why business is not thriving.

Archie Bunker
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:57pm
They also have to wear the correct shoes. How about that? Leon R  Cmo
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:19am
Last machines I had moved - 2 HD5G machines - owner had a container service - trash boxes and roll off boxes - he moved machines 40 miles one way at $60 per machine . 
 2 trips 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:20am
In case anyone is curious, I emailed another heavy haul company to ask whether or not it would be more economical to remove the 10 foot blade for transport or just pay the permit costs and leave the blade on.
I got a one sentence reply:
 "I can have your TD15B picked up and delivered for $1,476.43."

That would be to transport 150 miles, majority of the route is Interstate highway.
Thats just under $10.00 per mile. I assume a portion of that cost is for permits.

Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:44am
When I moved my Gleaner EIII with 10' header attached, my local trucker had blanket overwidth MO permits already so that didn't cost him anything extra.  I had it moved about 140 miles and it was $4 loaded mile back in 2008 when diesel was going thru the roof before the financial markets crash.   Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
chumduffy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chumduffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

I would be happy to pay $2.50 per load mile. My last experience was 2 years ago when I sold my HD6G. The buyer found an online freight broker to hall the machine 103 miles. He paid $1,200 The driver told me his company got $600 for my pickup and he had another machine on the trailer. A quote last month was $3.80 per load mile.

New York state local haulers have gone out of business because of EPA regulations. Construction businesses have insurance that only cover them for a 50 mile radius.

You have to clean the machine before transport. If you drop any dirt the state police ticket the driver for insecure load.

I wonder why business is not thriving.

Archie Bunker

Just call me! I'd of done it about 1/3 of that or less Jim.!!!.....
A nation that forgets its past is doomed to repeat it.
chumduffy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chumduffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Ferdinand Ferdinand wrote:

In case anyone is curious, I emailed another heavy haul company to ask whether or not it would be more economical to remove the 10 foot blade for transport or just pay the permit costs and leave the blade on.
I got a one sentence reply:
 "I can have your TD15B picked up and delivered for $1,476.43."

That would be to transport 150 miles, majority of the route is Interstate highway.
Thats just under $10.00 per mile. I assume a portion of that cost is for permits.

About $350 + permits (PA $30) should have got her moved!!!!......
A nation that forgets its past is doomed to repeat it.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:00pm
Thats what I was guessing, about $400.00.+
Maybe they didn't have a truck in the state and charged a dead-head fee. I don't know.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic