This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

past pull tractors.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: past pull tractors.
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:40pm
anyone have any memories of Wes Sleighbaugs pulling tractor in the late 60s or early 70's?

or a WD that pulled super stock - Lucas & Volland team??
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:23pm
I think I remember a turbocharged WD45 from back in the early 70s. I think I only saw it at Kinzers and then again at the Buck. I don't think it was ever here in the east again. I never remember getting an up close look but I might just have a picture.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dave/cvny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave/cvny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 8:26am
I have a copy of the Pennsylvania PTPA magazine from July '77, on the cover is a picture of a WD 45 being run by Harold and Bernard Baily from Roaring Springs Pa. The tractor is a gas with a turbo. it runs on high test gas with octane booster. water and alcohol are injected for cooling. 35 - 40 lbs of boost. It ran in the 5000 super stock class with 1500 lbs of weight.
Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:54am
My dad has a picture from Bowling Green of a turboed WD45, taken in '73 0r '74. I'm not sure if its the one you're talking about or not. I can scan it and post it if you like.
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:46pm
I have a picture of a turboed WD45 in Tomah Wi. 1974 or 75 Lucas was the name I think also there was a D17.
turbocharged
wildcat2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:11am
Can anyone post some pictures? Would be interesting to see.
Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:09pm
This is the photo my dad took at Bowling Green in 1973 or 1974. I'm not sure if this is the tractor you all are talking about or not. Sorry about the funky picture, I have a new printer and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:02pm
looks like it - think it had a home made intercooler - unique back in the early 70's.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Dave/cvny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave/cvny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:13am
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:16am
How the heck did the axles stay together?
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 9:29am
The trick to higher horsepower is to not weight up. Run light and fast. Back in the days when those pictures were taken we had to run behind a "Pace tractor". The trick was to go a far as you could at nearly and idle and then wind it up. That let the Pace tractor get a long head start on you.  The tractor on the cover of the PTPA is most likely the one I remember
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:31pm
How would that work out for being a pace tractor ? Here they started the same time you did, if it was 5 mph; your tractor run 5 mph, they ran just a shade faster
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:51pm
If I remember right, the Lucas & Volland WD ran the 5000 lb. class back in the early 70's.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:59am
I found the final nationwide NTPA point standings for 1974. The Volland&Lucas team's WD placed 11th in the 5000 Lb SuperStock for the year. Their Oliver 88 placed 4th in the same class.
    Back then the pace tractor was to run at 8MPH. As soon as you started moving, it would take off at 8 MPH, as long as you didn't pass it you were OK. So as I said above, a tractor with good low end torque could go at nearly an idle for awhile then give it the gas. We ran that way for a few years, then the pace tractor idea was abandoned. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 10:28am
I hear ya,,,, it's been a few years and after thinking about it, ours started around the 75ish foot mark,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic