This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H15 HD5 SHOWTIME

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H15 HD5 SHOWTIME
    Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:42pm
So a couple of days before we went to the"Redwood Region Logging Conference" antique equipment display we got to visit with Loyd Mittelstatd. Lloyd with his father and 2 brothers had a sawmill they started in Cloverdale Ca.(Sonoma County) Known as Barnes Lumber. They acquired the tractor from a private timberland family that had purchased it new. The family was using it to log with when an untimely death in the family (not related to the logging project) prompted them to sell it to Lloyd and his family to continue logging on there property. Lloyd remembers the tractor as being almost new at that time, only a couple of years old.  photo P3130041_zps7jpg2peu.jpg
They continued to log on that property for several years and then went on to log different parcels of property in the Occidental, Forestville areas of Sonoma County. Lloyd tells stories of having to cut into quarters 14' diameter redwood logs to haul to the mill. They had 3 or 4 company trucks including Macks, Pete's and KWs at different times. They cut a lot of fir also, mostly depending on what the mill needed to cut for lumber at the time. He talks about loading logs with an HD5 loader that they had to adjust the hydraulic pressure to be able to load the big wood and getting a hot oil bath when a hydraulic hose would break. That all went on until about 1970 when the sawmill burned down. At that time they elected not to rebuild the mill and the tractor sat. We were able to track Lloyd down with several phone calls knowing that the family still runs a lumber yard in Cloverdale. After emailing some pictures to Mary Jane, Lloyds wife. She called and said "we've gotta come look". It was a very enjoyable visit and I hope I got the story right.
    The tractor sat for several years before John Guilliams of St Helena, Ca. purchased it for developing his vineyard and winery property. John used it for several years and then parked it sometime 15-20 years ago where it sat until he donated it to our collection. We would like to thank John again.

photo P3130046_zpszr1jsufx.jpg
We removed the angle blade and leave the C frame on for hauling so we don't have to use a pilot car for moving up the highway.

photo P3170014_zpsnamatdkl.jpg We carry the blade on the boom truck so we can put it on after we unload photo P3170015_zps4untbz9b.jpg
It's about a 3 and half hour drive photo P3170016_zps6fyomhxw.jpg
 photo P3170017_zpsp3q80y2e.jpg
 photo P3170021_zps8ilglg9t.jpg
 photo P3170022_zpsrx9ezeyq.jpg
 photo P3170023_zpsfdtb1gdj.jpg
 photo P3170028_zps59kktjwz.jpg
 photo P3170029_zpsg5df1az2.jpg
 photo P3170031_zps6cpkk5ap.jpg
 photo P3170033_zps253zsksy.jpg
We were able to use the yard forklift to put the blade on so we didn't have to get are boom out photo P3170038_zpsj73gvrp1.jpg
 photo P3170042_zpszqaitckv.jpg
We've always tried to post all the basic info, which seems to be helpful. photo P3180050_zpsm833qv4e.jpg
 photo P3180051_zpsxcvinjlu.jpg
 photo P3180076_zpsf50u7zt3.jpg
So the first day is Education Day. Over 1800 school students visited the Lumberjack Show,Wild Things, and Historical Displays, (and trust me there favorite thing is blowing the steam whistles) photo P3180079_zpsib6e7tfq.jpg
Footprints all over our $2000.00 paint job was somewhat nerve racking. But they enjoyed it. photo P3180082_zpsascqwhlr.jpg
So one morning we had a tractor pulling competition between a Cat 15A D8 and a International TD24    So I 'm struggling on getting this video on here. I'm going to post the 2 links separately. They link to the photo bucket pictures. If this doesn't work someone that wants to help can jump in.

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/logging%20show%20setup/P3200154_zpskg5afa6h.mp4

And of course there's a payoff video

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/logging%20show%20setup/P3200156_zpsm2kxxuj8.mp4

Hope that works photo P3210160_zpsivangjtz.jpg
One of our visitors that we we're expecting is ACcrazy (Bruce) from the Allis Chalmers Forum lore. Bruce is one of are go to guys for Humboldt County. He's working on some other sightings he's heard about.

When we left we had to get out our boom to load the blade.
 photo P3210171_zps3blfb9mg.jpg
 photo P3210179_zps4shngykm.jpg
 photo P3210184_zpsttd3yuxg.jpg
It was a great time had by all. We met lots of appreciative people for sharing our tractors with them. It's that IRON DISEASE we have.

I'll start a different post for the treasures we made deals on and will be procuring for future collection.

Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 2:35pm
Ok I'm back. It appears the video links work. So the explanation would go like this. Ernie Burton of Willits Redwood Products recently started his own Caterpillar collection for displays like this also. This would be a Caterpillar 15A D8 (very nice specimen) The blade of both these tractors were left of for transportation purposes. Troy James (curator) for" Roots of Motive Power" is at the controls of the Roots  International TD24. My take on it was that the 24 could out pull for a few seconds but the engine would lug down to where Troy would have to throw the clutch.  GREAT ENTERTAINMENT!! for visitors. We're all Roots members and Ernie is also one of the directors for the Redwood Region Logging Conference  (I kinda see more of this happening in the future, cause I know where there's a HD20 waiting for restoration)
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:36pm
IRON DISEASE!!!!! That is an understatement, maybe? Great stuff you've posted here. Thnx, and keep it coming! Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:40pm
Got to add something else.....I know you are probably pretty used to loading and unloading these crawler tractors, but do you still get a little bit of a shock to your system (maybe a poor choice of words) when them crawlers hit the point of over centering? Darrel
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 7:45pm
It was good seeing you and David again Mel!
Your machines look fantastic as usual. I was very impressed how quiet the HD15 is. I thought it would be a real screaming me me with that Jimmy powering it. It sounds like a new machine. Smile

I think that TD24 would have won if it was geared a little lower. Every time he clutched it and got the RPM back up he'd yank that 8 backwards. Tongue
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 7:46pm
Darrel,
 I was thinking the same thing! Might make some items, in lower regions, tighten up at that moment too:)
Mel,
 Great shots of your crawlers at the show! I think the kids loved it!
Thanks for sharing this with us!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 12:22am
Mel, as usual, you have given us much pleasures in reading your posts along with all the pictures... Very interesting in the history too
  Should have given the kids a towel to polish up the paint and see them scatter. LOL
 So, are you saying that next year you will be doing an HD20 for show, if all goes well? LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 12:32am
Great pictures and story.  You need to get an HD31 to really put those other crawlers in their place.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:59am
Hey John, I beleive you would mean an "HD41". I think a "31" is non-existent. LOL! darrel
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 12:30pm
I thought about a 41 but considering what a job it is to move one... I was thinking there was an HD31, guess it's a 21.
It looks like the weather was beautiful for the show although I'm sure you wouldn't have minded too much if it had rained cats and dogs the whole time.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 2:55pm
I could be wrong...maybe there was a 31. Now ya got me thinking. Maybe they should have made one. Darrel
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 6:17pm
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:38am
They sure did make an HD-31 which became the FA-31 after the Fiat-Allis Merger.   I pulled 2 HD-41B's off the mountainside above Palm Springs about 10 years ago that had been sitting for some time. we used a D9D with my 15 year old Son operating it and a Case 1150 Track loader to maneuver it around the corners on the mountain dirt road. I'll post pictures later.
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by ac_sd ac_sd wrote:

They sure did make an HD-31 which became the FA-31 after the Fiat-Allis Merger.   I pulled 2 HD-41B's off the mountainside above Palm Springs about 10 years ago that had been sitting for some time. we used a D9D with my 15 year old Son operating it and a Case 1150 Track loader to maneuver it around the corners on the mountain dirt road. I'll post pictures later.

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics! Big smile
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 9:26pm
[TUBE]http://youtu.be/q06sKAFbdjo[/TUBE]
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 9:29pm
Mel: Thank you for sharing this experience and the history of the tractor. 
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 9:59pm
Sorry John; I stand corrected. Darrel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 11:40pm
Ok, couple of things I can answer (got busy with our day job to pay bills)
  Darrell

Years ago we would use a couple of old aluminum truck wheels to jump up on a trailer that didn't even have a beavertail on it. With the ramps we've added in the last 20 years it's not a problem. Actually I worry more about what I'm going to break ,like something on the trailer or something on the tractor. Believe it or not some of these ACs are so well balanced that if you are real careful it will tip back just like a feather and rest easy. (but nooo I don't do that ,just go)

JC, yes you read between the lines we have an HD20 that could deal those other 2 a quick dispatch. Don't know if it will be done in time. (heaven forbid if they offered a challenge) I'll try to post a picture soon.

HD41 and HD31s were real tractors. I shouldn't say this out loud but we did visit with a gentleman at the logging show that has a HD41 in the Bay area that does not need it any more and thought maybe we should have it instead of the Chinese. We mostly discussed the moving costs that we could expect to incur. (probably the closest discussion we will have to owning one)
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:49am
An HD41 would sure look good sitting in your yard, just saying........
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:25am
I am sure that a 41 would feel right at home in your yard! Darrel
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:43am
Always amazed to see the effort that Mel and his crew put into these Old Allis Dozers.  

Keep up the good work Mel, kids looked like they had lots of fun!  Weather looked nice too, still snow here. 
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:47pm
Mel,I fount a carco model j winch for my 16b. Are they manual shift or power shift?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
Doug, yes you need a powershift winch. Might be  G80 let me do some checkin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic