This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compression ratio vs engine speed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 7:44pm
Just stop feeding the troll wi50. Maybe he will go away....
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

Oh so its a problem that occurs in.long rod engines that have increased dwell at tdc . I see never had that problem with the big inch engines rods are short. The high rving engine finished better in the 15 mile an hour classes . The big 420 inch won the class. No aluminumed up d17 in those classes but I see why the guy needs help timing it now

I know ac farmer. But don't you want to see what he will make up next? Now it's "aluminumed up" d17 and the guy needs help timing it...... well I said before there was only 1 d17 at the pull....and it certainly wasn't "alumed up". It did however beat on pankeys boys pretty bad, and it's got a bunch of bone stock parts....our troll never even went to the pull, he's just lying. Good for Sunday entertainment, but not much use for any technical help.

I
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:41am
 For those with curiosity a link to the results. As usual the facts came pretty straight from Marty and Pank is FOS for the most part. 

Pank's super world beater puller from bragging post  last fall is  100' out of first place in one class and 5th out of 6 in the other. 

This is not the performance levels we read about in your posts  Pank??? Whats happening here?

Edited by Butch(OH) - 30 Mar 2015 at 8:56am
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:50am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

I'll give up 10% on engine size for the ability to run better rod to stroke ratio and fill the cylinders to a higher %.

Rod ratio is the most abused, overlooked, yet critical elements to effectively using the rest of one's numbers in the CID equation.

I also default to lower cubes when either livability or effectiveness start to go away. Big numbers are one thing, making them work effectively is another.

Interesting stuff.

Spent a long evening at cotncrazy's yesterday picking up parts for the working fleet. Talking to him and his Dad made me remember how much I enjoyed pulling, and why.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:11pm
Compression makes power up to 17.1 as general motors engineering studies show . makes peak torque at lower rpm and hp across entire curve . Taylor and Taylor says in their book that flame propagation and rpm are proportional . Timing one by ear and looking at ignition timing with light to see where it is gets this topic squashed nothing really to it that correct ignition timing doesn't cure . This is also as Taylor wrote why ignition timing can be all in and even locked at a low rpm and still be correct for higher rpm . Hudsonater was the one if WiFi goes back to his post and reads that said piston could out run flame propogation which is not right with correct ignition timing . Taylor also said in his book that to low a compression at a high rpm imparts severe inertia and kinetic energy on the rod as it is going from btdc to tdc resulting in lower half rod bearing damage from the lack of compression canceling out the inertia and allowing top halve of rod to move away from crank journal the amount of clearance it was originally built with and increasing clearance with each stroke as rod bolts stretch or rod halve eggs . In Taylors book there is a formula to figure the connecting rods inertia and correct this issue by knowing you have enough compression to cancel out the rods inertia . Great book but does shed light on who's fos as butch says .

Edited by mgburchard - 30 Mar 2015 at 12:22pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:25pm
Butch watch the YouTube videos blowing the tires off is not a sign of lack of HP or poorly tuned engine.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

. Hudsonater was the one if WiFi goes back to his post and reads that said piston could out run flame propogation which is not right with correct ignition timing .

I could swear you have less than a basic 5th grade education. Now go show us where I said that......you are making things up again. However, I did make the statement that you don't want the "bomb to outrun the piston" which if I dumb it down for you would mean.....well I can't dumb it down enough, you'll only get it backwards.

It's nice to know though that we can now build all engines at 17 to 1 and don't need any ignition advance or retard. Do it to prove us wrong and let us know how well it works for you.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

I've just been to busy to spend much time on here, but Hudsonator is exactly right.  It's easy to get the pressure wave from combustion to outrun the piston.  Or in a sense set off a bomb in the cylinder compared to a push. 

I'll make it easy for ya pank. This is what you're hung up on, and you have it backwards when you say that I say the piston can outrun the flame.....which doesn't happen.

What I'm explaining here is on the order of detonation.... you know that phenomenon that destroyed your engine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:34am
Pankey 2010 engine shown no signs of detonation something I guess you've had problems with and are hung up on and why your guys can't seam to get a handle on ignition timing .

Edited by mgburchard - 31 Mar 2015 at 7:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic