This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD9 PICTURES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD9 PICTURES
    Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:30am
Ok, so I got a scanner to convert slides,negatives and photos to digital. My archives go back to the 1930s it looks like. So naturally my first thought is what's in here for ACs. I scanned,cropped and tweaked these to see if it works. This is our father (the big dude in the operators seat) and yours truly standing on the blade arm. This would be an HD9 we acquired from someone who had abused it and had to leave town photo ACtractors029-Copy_zps21f15e60.jpg
I think this should have been 1973. It was very worn out and the undercarriage was pretty much gone.
 photo ACtractors028-Copy_zps6ef21b3c.jpg
We found some used undercarriage and some orange paint and moved it to a logging job. photo ACtractors003_zpscab79548.jpg
So, if I'm right about the dates I would have been 20 years old at that time. If any body is looking they'll see that there were black and white dogs then also (never know when there might be a cow around that needs to be regulated). This is my first attempt and these old photos and slides if it works we might have lots of looks to share. photo ACtractors004_zps27b56d0b.jpg
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:54am
Thanks Mel,
 When you said going back to the thirties, Ithought you were going to start posting pics of Monarchs and old Holts and Bests and Yubas and the likes. LOL 
  Good to see you have pics of your machines... something that didn't get taken around here cuz the camera was used for family pics mostly...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 1:34am
Excellent pics Mel. The `white knuckle` saw on the hood in the third one is fitting for the time
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:14pm
JC , Yes you're right about the people pictures. Most of the archives are people pictures. What I'm hoping to find are logging pictures that started in the late 1940s thru 1950s. These would be HD10s / HD14s and newer. There's a learning curve with this scanner thing rotate , crop,(start over),save. Looks like slides will need some recalibration.

Mac, The white knuckle saw being a Homelite XL, SUPER XL, or whatever, Everyone had a pickup load of those to make sure you could keep one running.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 12:50pm
"There's a learning curve with this scanner thing rotate , crop,(start over),save. " LOL
We will be watching for those pics... LOL
That a homie or rem? looked like a muck~cluck up on the hood there... but can't really tell from here. at least it wasn't on of them twist the bars to get the right angle... LOL
  According to what yur sayn, your only couple years older than me!...  And I feel like a very old dog... LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 2:11pm
Thanks Mel, I always liked the HD-9, well the truth is, I liked anything with "tracks" growing up, and the AC's were my favorites!
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 9:17pm
that old saw looks like a homelite super xl or xl-12 i have worked on many of those they were made from the mid 60s til the 90s even allis chalmers had the name on some of those
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:22am
ACMel - AWESOME Pictures of the Great Allis Dozers!!!

Thank you for posting them - made my day!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 10:47pm
We started with a Homelite 925 and some smaller ones then saw the light and got Stihls, a great improvement.

Edited by JohnCO - 18 Jan 2015 at 10:49pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 4:30am
More, more, more!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 7:03pm
i got a xl925 sittin on the workbench right now we started with mccullochs and then went to homelites and pioneer and then to husky and stihl and we had a few sachs dolmars
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:32pm
Michale, humping a 925 up the hills we have here at about 7,000' altitude made a man out of me, I was about 28 or 29 at the time.  Was a pretty tough saw though, ran over it once with a Franklin log skidder, took a couple new parts to fix it and it still cut well.  Gave it to an old girlfriend for her wedding gift.  Her husband thought it was a nice gift, but he never had to run it all day!  BTW, he is no longer in the picture but she is still a good friend, especially since we aren't married to each other.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:20am
john we had a mcculloch pm81 one time it stayed in the shop more than it ran finaly I picked it up from the shop one morning went to the job and pulled and pulled and it wouldn't start we had a treefarmer skidder with a Detroit the boss took the bar and chain off and had the skidder operator run over it picked up what was left and chunked it in the brush headed to town and came back with a p61 pioneer and a stihl 056
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:10pm
Ok guys, so I didn't see the chainsaw side bar discussion coming. But we can ad to it. Yes I agree with some of the past discussions. We grew up with Homelites and McCoulghs  and by the early 1980s we bought are first stihl,it was probably an 044. We had several of those and migrated up to the 056s for timber falling. We "stihl" by and use there products today. Very dependable stuff. Husquavarna (Husky) was the other good choice. Many of the timber fallers that worked for us used Huskys. So these pictures are probably 1985-86 vintage of this Stihl saw in the landing pickup. photo Stihlchainsaws002_zps0a1a0c86.jpg
So as usual there's a black and white dog nearby. He's kind of a trick dog, he got wrapped up in this 3/4'' choker. Collins was kind of the landing dog in charge of loading operations photo Stihlchainsaws001_zps7d31d4c6.jpg

michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:30pm
thats a 038 with the big bar the best saw stihl ever built the other looks like a 045 or 056 yea mel seems old dozers and chainsaws just go together and old dogs that were more dependable than the help we hired lol
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:37pm
the 038 was sold in the usa from 1978 till 1997 and are still being made as a 380 for other countrys today the 044 was the replacement for it in 1993 i bought the last new 038 in 1997 i laid 7 100 dollars bills on the counter and the dealer handed me a 5 back and said take this and get you a hamburger
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:51pm
thsts how i learned how to work on chainsaws when i was 14 i went to school and when i got home the guys were comming home from the job and i had to service and get them ready for the next morning and im still working on them till this day the stihl dealer has a couple of young guys doing there service so everytime they get a old saw they call me i had to work on a oiler for them yesterday on a 028 these little poulan junk now days i just tell people if it doesent run just take the bar and chain off and toss the rest in the dumpster lol
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:05pm
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:22pm
Ok, Can't find any more chainsaw pictures that I know we have, but I did find some more HD9 / HD5 pictures photo ranch logging 002_zpsbf6ihnbp.jpg
We had lots of room in this landing. We loaded with an HD5G that are father had bought almost new in 1956. photo ranch logging 001_zpsvazz2tcb.jpg
It had flat forks, no top clamps, but if you didn't know what you were missing it didn't matter anyway. It was all about getting the logs to the mill. photo ranch logging 004_zpsb0qc9xsj.jpg
We loaded these log on a 1960 peterbilt truck. We didn't use a trailer on this job because the road was so bad and we weren't that far from the mill.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 1:27pm
good pics. back in the 70s and 80s we sold our saw logs 16 foot and sold the short wood 5-5 for pulp on pine wasent much that went to waste we skidded the saw logs to the landing first with a hd6 and after they were hauled to the mill we cut the tops and the shorts and loaded with a homemade winch made out of a car rear end
chumduffy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chumduffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Michale, humping a 925 up the hills we have here at about 7,000' altitude made a man out of me, I was about 28 or 29 at the time.  Was a pretty tough saw though, ran over it once with a Franklin log skidder, took a couple new parts to fix it and it still cut well.  Gave it to an old girlfriend for her wedding gift.  Her husband thought it was a nice gift, but he never had to run it all day!  BTW, he is no longer in the picture but she is still a good friend, especially since we aren't married to each other.

John, I think the 925 was the last of the good old Homelite loggers chainsaw ever made. We also went to Pioneer P-62's when we no longer could find good Homelites! I still have sitting on the back shelf of the shed a C-7, C-8,? (Both Blue) XL-925,X-1020,XL-1050,XL-2000. All running! All work ready!!...plus a few of the later model smaller XL Homelites under the bench. I also concur, they were a very durable saw!!!...     
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 2:52pm
Ok, I know we got side tracked on chainsaws here. I pulled up this old link to forward to a gentleman in Vallejo, Ca. that we visited yesterday. cause we declared a rain day at the yard. We had described to him earlier that we had a HD9 dozer many years ago and we would like to find one like it to restore for the collection. So now it looks like I should just add it to the post and continue. photo P4060080_zpsykigjyji.jpg
So almost an hour into are tour we ran across this. It's pretty rough, no transmission, engine is really not there (even though it appears in there) photo P4060086_zpsxgvbjvyf.jpg
The important components being the CARCO blade,front cable control unit, cable A frame and canopy are there. photo P4060095_zpsgt50vt2u.jpg
This tractor is the model between the HD5 and HD15 which we don't have with logging equipment. We do have the biggest model at the time being the HD20.  So this would finish out the entire dozer lineup at that time photo P4060096_zpsr38nryat.jpg
He's pretty much agreed that we should have it. He also has some other complete HD9s that we're hoping to acquire that would help us finish the process.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 12:37am
I still think you need to get that HD41 you mentioned.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:41am
John, Thought I should give you an update on the HD41. We kinda thought that do to the massive size and hauling constraints we would pass. However at a grandsons baseball game the other day I ran into a friend who used to be an owner operator with his own Cozad trailer that we had used to help us retrieve and haul our HD20s. He has since sold his truck and trailer and went back to driving truck for a major logging company in the area. He had learned of the HD41 discussion while moving equipment from the logging show display where we had been. He now runs the transports for the logging company mostly and other trucks when needed. He reminded me that they did have a 9 axle and could easily handle the 41. He also feels that the rates the company charges are extremely reasonable and should be more. They have the transport to move there logging yarders up and down the coast for different jobs. The weights for those are 135,000 to 160,000 lbs. So that's what we know about that now. (FYI) And have noooo idea where it's going.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 12:48am
I'm thinking a 41 is about 100,000 lb, perhaps minus the ripper and maybe even the blade, which might be too wide to haul anyway.  Got to save that Big Allis Iron!
 As I said before, Sure would look impressive in your yard!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 10:41pm
John, without the blade it's less than 14 foot wide and with the rippers still on it's less than the 150,000lbs (we think).
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 11:17pm
from a spec sheet for a Fiat Allis 41B
Bare weight is 107000lb
HSU blade and drawbar is 128000lb
HSU blade and 41R ripper is 149000lb
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:20pm
that's ALOT of iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic