This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd5 dozer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd5 dozer
    Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:55am
anyone know how much fuel pressure I should have on my ac hd5 dozer.i would greatly appreciate this info..also looking for a repair manual.thanks for any help
Sponsored Links

Bata93 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bata93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 2:17pm
on my hd5 allis at a high idle its slightly below 30, running at a good working RPM its right around 60 psi. hope that helps
joseph1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:44am
thanks.would u happen to know how much pressure at crankling speed.
Bata93 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bata93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 8:20am
Not a lot of pressure at cranking speed. Around 10, it wouldn't take much, I take it your trying to get it going again and troubleshooting?
joseph1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 4:21pm
you guessed it..it sat dormat for 1.5 years because I had to get around to removing, rebuilding'and replacing the starter.before that it started like clockwork for the last 20 years I owned it.it will run and continue to run only when I spray fuel into the plug that is in the blower.soon as I quit giving that fuel it stops running.maybe the filters,fuel pump or injectors is the problem.fuel has some pressure up to the restrictor.???any help would be appreciated
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 9:20pm
2-71 Detroit? Better check that the rack isn't stuck in off position.If they turn over they start.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 11:08am
I'm wondering how important fuel pressure is. My HD6G's operate with very low fuel pressure. The pressure tap is on the fuel filter manifold above the secondary filter. I thought it was measuring return line pressure. I reasoned that any fuel pressure means that the injector pump was supplying enough volume to the injectors. I do not know the fuel path thru the filter manifold so (Question) Is the fuel pressure gage measuring pressure to the injectors or return from the injectors. This is on an HD344 not a 2-71 Detroit.
joseph1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 11:11am
don't know whats a rack
joseph1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 1:57pm
what I comprehend from what I read it could be the pressure in the fuel delivery syatem.a restrictor is in place to keep the system under pressure(while cranking,idleing,and running) and what fuel it does not use is returned back to the 36gallon tank.I'm hoping to learn more soon.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by joseph1 joseph1 wrote:

don't know whats a rack

Raquel Welch.  Now that's a RACK
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 4:19am
2/71 Detroits are reasonably simple, pull the valve cover and inspect the linkage that connects the governor to the injector units(centered between the valves) this tube and lever mechanism is the 'Rack', make sure it rotates freely pulling and pushing the full rack pins of the injectors back and forth. If it is stuck at 'No Fuel' look first to the governor head at the end of the blower where the throttle and shut off linkages connect, make certain the rods are actually moving the levers on the cover to shift from shut off to run.

Do not force any of these linkages to try to unbind, any rusted areas will need to be soaked with a decent penetrant for a time to see if can free up gently.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 6:59am
If you haven't replaced the filters - do it now , also be sure there is fuel flow to filters and the lines are not plugged or the catch drain in the lower part of back of tank is not plugged

All the linkage has to move free , as the fuel shut off lever also overrides things so the stop lever and linkage need to be free. 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
joseph1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:21am
thanks for info.i will check this out
joseph1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joseph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:23am
I did that and im going over that again to make shure of what u indicated
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 8:25pm
Back in the old days when half the engines in over the road trucks and construction equipment were Detroits, mechanics would "Run the Rack" every so often.  This consisted in inspecting everything under the valve cover and adjusting the valves and injectors opener gaps.  Usually not a real bad job but depending on what truck or machine it was in, could be a job for a young, thin guy. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic