This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevy into WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy into WD
    Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 6:24pm
I've been searching this idea for a couple of years, and had only found completed examples in Farm Show, until an hour ago when a Google search turned up "Small Block V8 Conversions" posted in January 2010!

I found a lot of good info on small block V8's and V6 with same bolt patterns.  It even seems that the flywheel will fit inside the WD bell housing.

Can anyone point me to someone willing to talk about how to put a Chevy Small Block V8 / V6 into a WD?

Thanks,
Maurice
Sponsored Links

pineyjd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pineyjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:38am
There was somthing on youtube showing chevy
Mike NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:02pm
give this guy a call he put a v-6 in a 45 to pull and it looks stock. His name is Brian 260) 414-3533.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 2:11pm
A friend of mine has installed 350s in both a B & a WC. The B with out having to deal with the frame rails was actually an easier project. He had the tractor flywheel redrilled to the tractor patern and uses a custom button clutch. The cast tractor flywheel concerns me, so if the chevy flywheel won't fit, I'd suggest a custom steel one. Good Luck! Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
maurice View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:08pm
I saw the Youtube videos, That's a lot of power!  I can admire the Pullers, but I'm just wanting a tame reliable tractor. 

Thanks, I'll try calling Brian!

Good advice on the flwheel.  One of my WD flywheels have radial cracks in the clutch surface. 

What is a "custom button clutch'?
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:39pm
heres a WD-45 with a 327 at Hutch, guy did a good job looked factory
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
maurice View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 9:00pm
Yes, that is a good job!  It does fit mostly between the rails...
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 8:27am
Does anyone know this fellow's name or have a phone # this guy has done really nice job!!
49 WF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49 WF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:56pm
We bought a adapter plate from him, he's a retired machinist, beautiful workmanship. I can't remenber his name but he is in the picture with the black hat. He goes to hutchinson every year, lives around the area if I remember right.
66 190 GAS,49WF,B,C,37WC,48WF,3WD'S, 66ALLCROP,B1,B10,sbchevy WC
maurice View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:36pm
Am I seeing the same pictures?  I don't see a black hat?  Where is Hutchinson?  I don't know the lingo yet...

I't be nice to be able to buy an adapter plate and/or buy plans.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:40pm
Black cap between the stacks.

Hutchinson MN annual AC gathering.

Gerald J.
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:49pm

That is Gerald Norman's tractor and he is from Cambridge, MN.  I don't have a phone number though.  It sounds as nice as it looks too.

maurice View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Black cap between the stacks.

Hutchinson MN annual AC gathering.

Gerald J.

Maybe my 'puter is not showing the whole picture... haha, oh well, it's not like he has a phone number on his hat I could read!

Hutchinson MN annual AC gathering?  When?  (Then I'd have to convince the family to go there for vacation!!!!)

Is Gerald Norman a member here for a message?

Thanks,
Maurice
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 4:10pm
http://www.orangespectacular.com/
Here is a link to the show in Hutchinson.
maurice View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 5:05pm
I called Brian (listed above).  I'm the 2nd guy who has called him today asking about his conversion, he's wondering how these Allis guys found him since he is into Minneapolis Moline!  He does not own a computer so now he's thinking about finding a friend to show him this!

I may get wordy, but I'm willing to describe what he's done:

He is a heavy equipment mechanic, and during the summer works LONG hours.  He did his Allis conversion to compete with the WD pullers.  Built his about a year or more ago, so says he's trying to remember the specifics of how he did it.

He had a machine shop make an adapter out of about 1.5" steel, with holes to bolt this to the Chevy crankshaft.  This bolts on using allen head bolts.  Then this adapter also has been drilled so that the original WD flywheel will bolt to it.

He made an adapter plate to match the Chevy block to the Allis trans bell housing.  Says he thinks is it about 1/2 or 3/8 thick.

He warns that the both frame rails must be removed to be able to fit the Chevy block in there.  He notched the frame rails to fit to the engine.  Says a possible easier way is to grind off the tabs of the engine block. 

After he put the engine in there, he realized that the steering won't fit.  He suggested removing the hydraulic pump and using u-joints.  Says another way is to use u-joints and go outside the frame rails.  (He removed everything not essential to pulling. )  He used Char-Lynn power steering.

He told me some pulling rpm's and weights but maybe I should not write those here?  May be some pulling secrets?  Did say he has great pulling performance.

He suggested that one might spend $200-$400 on a Chevy engine, and about $300-$450 on machine shop work.

Well, lots of words, hope Brian doesn't mind!

I'm guessing there are other ways of doing this too!  Thanks to all, and I'll enjoy hearing more! 

Edited by maurice - 09 Mar 2010 at 5:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic