[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Shift Lever - Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Shift Lever - Problem
    Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm
Hello All,
Been a long while since I have posted on the site. Other life happeings going on and I have not been able to spend much time on the WD45. I know this has been discussed on here many times. However, I need some help with my shifter housing. The shifter is just flopping around, not actually engaging the shifiting forks inside. Now, is this becuase the ball on the end of the lever is worn out? How can I get the end back in alighment with the forks inside? I assume it is best to just remove the shifter tower and get a new shift lever. Mabe rework that portion. Any pointers, lessons learned, or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Sponsored Links

bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 2:15pm
First you have to remove the shifter boot, snap ring, and washer on top of the shifter. After that it should just slide straight up and out. After its out get a long thick screw driver and adjust the prongs you can see until they form a square, after they make a square which puts the tractor in neutral (make sure the brakes are locked down) after they make the square carefully lower the shifter bottom back down into the center of the square, you should be able to tell its in place because it will get harder to move around, replace the snap ring and washer and put the shifter boot back on and you'll be in good shape. If the problem continues you made need an entire new shifter, over time the bottoms where out of those old shifters and they fall out a lot. I hope this is helpful and you get her fixed!
1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1947 2 bottom Oliver Plow, 1965 Allis Chalmers Big Ten, and 80T Sickle Mower
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 2:20pm
I don't think you need to remove the whole tower. Remove the rubber boot & pry out the snap ring. The shifter rod will pull right out. Be careful not to loose the 2 little square alignment pins on the sides of the ball swivel. Those are probably worn out. Steiner & other parts dealers on here sell oversized ones. The end of the shifter is probably worn out also. You can weld it up and re-grind it back into size. I have a copy of the sketch someone else had made of what the dimensions are supposed to be. I'll try to post it.
Ray W.
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:28pm
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:08pm
Hey Bigcountry

I removed the shift lever as everyone has indicated, the side pin was very sloppy. The square makeup you are talking about. Is it made when all three forks are lined up in the correct way? In neutral there should be a left side, middle, and right side, the portions of the forks that make up this square you mentioned.

Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:25pm
Jeff I take brass and weld up the sides of the shifter, and file them down to where a 5/16ths wrench slips on. This has been the fix I use and it works!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 5:26pm
Yes Jeff that is what big country was talking about. That realigns all the shifting forks into neutral.
David G. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 6:12pm
I have a WD45 that would get stuck in gear a lot and wound up and welded the end of the shifter and remachined it down to the above posted print and it would still get stuck in gear. So I did some more welding and machining. Turns out for my tractor it needed to be closer to a 1/2" wide to keep it from getting stuck any longer. I have since found out from reading posts on here that sometimes it does have to be much wider than .315" to fix the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic