This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

two row corn planter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: two row corn planter
    Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:30pm
i just bought a two row corn planter , i think it originally had a snap coupler hitch this one has 3 pt hitch does anyone know what model it is ,where i can get a manual, and parts i paid $40 but its missing parts
found a picture of one like it at chatstractors.com http://www.chatstractors.com/1448-Allis-Chalmers-planter.htm
Sponsored Links

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 5:14pm
Dan,  This is the basic Allis Chalmers corn planter that was also used on the G.  You could get them with runner openers or double disc openers.  Made in LaCross model LX-4962.  Manuals - check this site and check e-bay - they are available from time to time.
Got this information from Pop's 1960 price book.  At that time all we had was snap coupler or pin hitch.  Three point hitch came later.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Dale H. ECIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H. ECIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:46am
I have a two row snap coupler planter like this one, also I have one with factory 3 point hitch, nether one is for sale. 
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428
Wil M (NEIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil M (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:51am

It would be an Allis Chalmers Drill Planter or have I seen it called a WD Drill Planter.  Best place for parts is probably by posting what you need here on the forum or by finding a parts machine someplace.  There was a manual listed on ebay not that long ago. 

Here is my planter mounted on my CA:

"Yet there are soulless men whose hand and brain tear down what time will never give again." Anderson M Scruggs
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:12am
Danny...I have some parts planters.   Let me know what you need when you tackle it...Thanks...Dale
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 12:51pm
I'd like to have a planter like that. Can they be used to plant beans too?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:06pm
Brian,

With the right plates, they can plant dang near anything. When they are wore out, they won't plant dang near anything.

There were a passle of them at the Muncy, PA sale in December, if I had take a torch, I would have bought a couple and stripped them. Didn't want to leave anything there though, glad I didn't.....
KY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:05pm
I have a four row AC drill , its two two rows just like the ones pictured mounted on a  single tool bar. Are they very common?
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:20pm
KY - I have one as well.  They are not rare but I agree they are not common like the two row planters.  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 5:56pm
I have one also. Mine had a pin hitch converted to snap coupler. Mine still has the markers as well.
Wil M (NEIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil M (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

I'd like to have a planter like that. Can they be used to plant beans too?
Yes they can.  That is what we are doing here, planting beans:

There are several different crops listed in the manual that can be planted with them. Like Glenn says, it just takes the right combination of seed plates. 

Edited by Wil M (NEIA) - 19 Feb 2010 at 7:52pm
"Yet there are soulless men whose hand and brain tear down what time will never give again." Anderson M Scruggs
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:34am
Here's one in action. That's my father driving.  He bought that planter about 20 years ago for $40 at an auction only because the only other guy bidding on it was the scrap man and he didn't want to see it go to scrap!  We have planted 50+bushel/acre beans and 200+ corn with that planter.  I have always said that the seed doesn't care if it's put in the ground with a $40 planter or a $40,000 planter![TUBE]43c1aQGaC5w[/TUBE]
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:59pm
Here's mine...I plant corn and green beans using the same plate, set as thick as it will go.  I'd like to get some plates set up for pumpkins. Mine has the disc openers on it so it makes a pretty good furrow.  I unhook the drive chain and use it to lay out the rows for all the other vegetables. I am looking for another disc opener for mine since one has a tear and the rocks are making it worse.

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:25pm
Hey Eldon, I have some disc openers if you need one I can help you out.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:32pm
Dan that is a beauty!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 3:12pm
I am trying to figure out what they wont plant. I have plates that I plant radish seed with. mine also has the hill drop attachment for planting pumpkins, squash, Etc.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:12pm
Ok, so does anybody have one they would part with? I'm looking to take over my 10 acres.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Darrell Roberts View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:16pm
Have one I took completly apart and restored a couple years ago. Was a fun project, wouldn't part with it.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:52pm
Darrell, That is one sweet lookin rig. Wanna come down and plant some corn for me this spring? LOL You would have to run your wheels out a bit.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Darrell Roberts View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:09pm
I actually planted sweet corn with it last year and I did move the wheels out a bit. Just hooked up there right after it was done for pictures.
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:28pm
I have a two row planter that looks much like the one above that has not been painted for sale. I am near the quad cities in IL. Asking $400 Can send pictures if interested. Has a home made 3 pt hitch on it but I have the SC parts. Thanks, Larry Miller
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
PennsylvaniaNewt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:40pm
Would this planter plant watermellons or cantelopes?

mnoonan-NEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnoonan-NEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:12am
This is my 2 row planter. I hope to to get it restored this summer.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:42am
What are the two arms that have discs on them used for?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:50am
PennsylvaniaNewt, those are markers that you drop to leave a line in the dirt to follow with the center of the tractor to maintain row spacing.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:11am
O ok!  I used to help my grandfather on his farm during the summer growing up but never got to get educated on planting etc.

DSG View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:00pm
My 83 year old grandfather who still actively farms told me that his planter needs a few parts.  He needs the fertilizer shoes (i guess that's what they are called) and I think the plates.  I have searched the net like crazy and haven't been able to find anything.  He is the Williamsport, PA area.  I have pics if that would help identify the parts.  Used to be a place between Danville and Muncy that had alot of this stuff but I don't think they are in business anymore.   Any help would be appreciated.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by DSG DSG wrote:

My 83 year old grandfather who still actively farms told me that his planter needs a few parts.  He needs the fertilizer shoes (i guess that's what they are called) and I think the plates.  I have searched the net like crazy and haven't been able to find anything.  He is the Williamsport, PA area.  I have pics if that would help identify the parts.  Used to be a place between Danville and Muncy that had alot of this stuff but I don't think they are in business anymore.   Any help would be appreciated.

I have a set of the fertilizer shoes. I am in the great state of Mo. let me know if you think he might need them. Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:37am
Don, would those disc openers be the same as the coulters on the G plow? I could use a couple.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Mark in Iowa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark in Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:41am

I have a '39 B. Can the same planter be used behind it? It would just need a different hitch?  Thanks for the help, Mark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic