[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plow shears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudley wallace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plow shears
    Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:42am
i need to find a mfg that still has the throw away shears for a 14 inch 60 series plow or what will work even if i need to drill or cut to fit need your guys help theres got to one that will work out there i just havent found it yet with all the little plow days out there i hate that we cant represent allischalmers for what they were intended for in the day they were built lets keep our history alive dudley
a member of hendricks county antique tractor and machinery association club.
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:46am
Maybe you need a good blacksmith. Back in Dad's time, you didn't throw anything away if it could be welded up and ground to work.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:12am
What's the part number. Might have some
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 10:00am
Allis didn't use a specific bottom for a specific plow frame. There were dozens of plow bottoms used over the entire plow frame families. The plow bottoms all used the same two 9/16" bolts to mount the frog to the shank so the bottoms interchanged. As far as i can tell from the parts books bottoms and frames were always specified and purchased separately, assembled at the dealer or on the farm.

Identifying plow bottoms works best if you can find a part number on frog, share (blade or shear, alternative names for the cutting edge), moldboard, or shin. Some shares were shared between different plow bottoms, but not many while landsides were widely shared so finding landside ID doesn't help identify the bottom. For most bottoms Allis offered 6 to a dozen different shares with different shapes and different materials for different soil conditions. They offered wide for cutting sod with lots of roots and narrow to pull easier. They offered deep suck (point turned down) for hard soils where the plow didn't want to penetrate. They offered ordinary suck for nicer soils. They offered chilled iron, soft centered steel, and hardened steel where the chilled iron wore the best but shattered when it hit a rock, hardened steel for moderate rocks but faster wear and soft centered steel for rocky ground with the poorest longevity from abrasive soils. They generally offered plow bottoms in multiple widths though 14 and 16 were most common with a different set of shares for each width and left or right hand bottoms.

You can download plow bottom and plow frame manuals from http://www.grandpastractor.com/pjpBB3/index.php.

Sometimes the plow bottoms had unique braces and attachments under the frog which can help identify a bottom without numbers. The plow bottoms book shows views from that position and never really shows a moldboard shape where some families are grouped together where only the moldboards are different.

Few 60 vintage plow bottom parts are made aftermarket to day. Primarily the 387 bottom. There are possibilities of some shares being around. It may come to picking a universal modern share with the same tip angle and drilling new holes in the frog to mount it. Its sure you aren't going to drill plow bolt holes in the hardened steel with their odd shapes.

Gerald J.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 12:08pm
As Gerald said you wont drill the shares unless you have equipment beyond most farm shops. I have converted all of our plows by drilling the frogs. Which share works best depends on which bottoms you have. Last one I did was on my 9000 with #375 bottoms and I used shares for #387 bottoms which is the only AC share commonly available. I also converted it over to the two piece 387 landside with wear plates.

I quit screwing with the local horse and yuppie farmer store (TSC)  and order such things from Shoup in Illinois. 

Edited by Butch(OH) - 28 Aug 2013 at 12:10pm
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 6:54am
I did the same thing with my plow with 371 bottoms. I redrilled the frog and used Allis 387 shares. I found one new set of 371 shares and used them to figure out where the new share needed to be placed for the point to be in the same position as the original.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic