[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Look at these sweet corn ears!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look at these sweet corn ears!
    Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 7:44pm
I have been experimenting in a few of my sweet corn fields and it is responding. You can see for yourself the length. Keep in mind this is sweet corn now! these ears in the select few experiment fields are truly MASSIVE for sweet corn. Even though you can't tell in the pictures they are also averaging 8 and 9 inches around!

HE WHO KNEELS BEFORE GOD CAN STAND BEFORE ANY MAN
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:49pm
Show off. We didn't get any plant here in NC Iowa. We up here will need a late, late frost.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:51pm
P.S. if you need any help eating them,----- I'm your man. Enjoy, they look great.
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

P.S. if you need any help eating them,----- I'm your man. Enjoy, they look great.
Unit, if you should get out this way (Rantoul show perhaps?????) let me know. I'll load you up with a bunch you can bring back with you. I'm very sincere about that.  I know how it feels, I lost an entire sweet corn crop in 1988 and it stings!.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 9:44pm
Dennis,
Your ears look really nice. I have some NK199 ears that are really big also.
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1942 C, hobby farmer, Pastor in Walford Iowa
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 6:19am
Denny: What variety do you like the most? We have had good results here with Ambrosia. Finished ours up on Monday with minimal animal damage.  Dave.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:06am
Dennis,
Send me a pm with your address and I'll come up and buy some!
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 9:06am
Dennis, them ears are lookin real good from here too.
  Nithing like freash sweetcorn hot out of the kettle or from the grill slathered with butter and salt n pepper...

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 10:33pm
Didn't measure mine like that I just counted grains. My Illini supersweet was 40-46 long and 16-18 round. Mane thing my garden gets is a healthy dose of mule "by product".
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 11:06pm
Fella's I am sorry for the delay in answering. I have been non stop busy over here and have not checked in on the forum in a few days.

Dave,
I have a couple new favorites as of this year. Allure has proven itself to me. What an excellent producer! it showed very good emergence even in this cool wet spring and even had vigor in that lousy spring weather this year. The stalks are beefy and anchored well (which you probably already know is a challenge for sweet corn.) the tip fill was EXCELLENT! and it displayed nice flags and tight husks at the tip. The kernels are a bit on the soft side, but that makes for darn good eating.  Just an Excellent new sweet corn!

Brian, I will do that my friend. Keep an eye out for the PM.

J.C.  this corn is really good. I have been eating it with tomatoes out of the garden almost every night for supper. Butter and a little salt on this corn and you are eating like a king! I wish you were closer buddy we'd both be eating like Kings.  (although I will say no matter how good it is if you eat enough of it you start getting tired of it and I'm getting to that point LOL!)  If I go 3 or 4 days without it I start craving it again though.

Andrew, Illini super sweet is an old standby that has been around for many many years. It was one of the original Super sweets. It's still nothing to thumb your nose at that's for sure. If you do some research (you may already have) you will notice that Illinois is almost synonymous with Sweet corn. There has been some damn good sweet corn developed here in Illinois.

Pastor Mike, I didn't even know Northrup King was still offering sweet corn. I thought they stopped. I may be thinking of Asgrow. Either way I'm glad it's going good for you buddy. Nothing screams summer in the Midwest louder than sweet corn.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 7:21am
Dennis,
NK doesn't sell the NK199...I got it from Jung I believe.
Pastor Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1942 C, hobby farmer, Pastor in Walford Iowa
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 11:08am
Dennis I'm sorry to say but it looks like you burned 2" on that first pic. ROTFLMAO.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL  Now on a more serious note I sure wish we could get some of that shipped to Arkansas. Those ears look awesome. I remember my dad always planting the inner rows of our corn fields(center pivot irrigation) to sweet corn. I miss the good old days of sweetcorn abundance. Our local grocery gets Missouri sweet corn and sells it at a much better price than the road side stands. Last year we went to a sweet corn farm in Anderson Mo and picked our own to put up. A co-workers dad owns the farm and gave us all the corn we could pick right after the fields had been  gone over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic