[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 stuck in gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiskeySup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 stuck in gear
    Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:31am
 Git stuck in first gear this morning. Removed all the bolts on the tower to take a look inside(never done this before) and the tower comes up a couple of inches and stops tight-cant get it off completely. Removed the battery box and steering wheel support. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:39am
To get the tower off. you have to roll it left so the reverse fork comes out first. It's been a while, but I believe that's right.
 For the stuck in gear condition, I think you can pull the boot and remove the shifter to get it back in neutral but there might be a couple pins that could drop out of the tower and down into the gears if precautions aren't made???????????
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:51am
If I were you, I wouldn't take the tower off. It can be tricky to get back on.

I'd do like Charlie said. Take off the shifter boot, remove the the snap ring, remove the shifter rod. Then look down in there with a flashlight. You will see the three metal pieces with a center groove where the shifter rod fits. Take a tire iron or something and move them so that they are all centered and line up. Then put the shifter rod back and assemble the rest. Make sure you don't knock the square-headed pins down into the tranny. The pins fit into the ball portion of the shifter rod, where it pivots.

"People are human beings, produced by the society in which they live. You encourage people by seeing the good in them." ~ Nelson Mandela
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:52am
Someone had a similar
problem a few days ago.
One of my wds does this
often. Yes the shifter boot comes
off. Then remove the snap
ring. It will come straight out.
The 2 little square headed pins
are on the right & left side of hole.
After realigning forks I put the
shifter back in & then line up the 2 pins
with the slots in sides of the shifter ball
with a small scew driver. Hope that helps.

WhiskeySup View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiskeySup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 3:26pm
Many thanks to all, I guess I jumped the gun a little too fast. I loosened the tower and tried to remove it before asking for advice. Hopefully I can get the tower back in place then remove the shifter and go from there.. Lesson learned.
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 3:38pm
Whisky, good idea and good luck. Hopefully you didn't pull up on the tower too much and everything will go back the way it was. When you pull up on the tower, you are taking the shift forks with it. The tricky part is getting the shift forks back down into the grooves of the slider gears (technical terms here). It can be kind of difficult to get the forks back down exactly where they should be because you lose sight of everything when the tower goes back down and everything can move.
Let us know if you need more help.
Also, when you get the shifter rod out, take a good look at the end. If it looks well worn, you may want to get it built up with weld and grind it back down square, or else replace the thing. When the end gets worn, it has a better tendency to slip out of the shifter forks, therebye leaving you in the position you now are in.

"People are human beings, produced by the society in which they live. You encourage people by seeing the good in them." ~ Nelson Mandela
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiskeySup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 4:53pm
Goose,
Thanks for the info, is this why it slips out of second gear once in a while?
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 4:59pm
This is a link someone
else posted that had a
picture of the end of the
shifter:
http://home.comcast.net/~old_allis/ac-wd45d-transmission.html
Here is also a picture of
the dimensions.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by WhiskeySup WhiskeySup wrote:

Goose,
Thanks for the info, is this why it slips out of second gear once in a while?
Popping out of gear can be caused by different things. Usually it's from grinding gears when you shift it with the wheels turning.
 It could also not be getting all the way in gear if the shifter ball is worn or if your thrust washers are gone in the tanny.
 If it pops out cause it is not fully engaged, it will soon be wore enough that you will need new gears and shift collar $$$$$$$$$$$ 
 I wouldn't use second gear till I figure out the problem. You might not have to spend big money if you figure it out and fix it now.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiskeySup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 6:06pm
Thanks-it only happens when going down hill. Luckily my place is mostly flat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic