[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

changing brakes on WD or WD45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bspa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: changing brakes on WD or WD45
    Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 8:34pm
I am posting for a neighbor who has a sweetly running 1948 WD45 he said (but in looking online for him, maybe WD). He has the manuals, but says they don't tell how to change the brake pads.  Said he had talked to other locals with similar tractors and they have brake pads but don't know how to change the brakes.  So,  I said there were folks online who would know and I would ask for him (he doesn't do computers).  PLease and thank you.  If you can guide me in asking a more specific question, that would be welcome.  Thank you.
Sponsored Links

KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 10:14am
You remove the top covers and loosen the adjuster screws. Then remove the 3/4" rods on the bottom that hold the two lower ends of eaah shoe together. This is no simple task unless they've been well soaked for a long time by hydraulic fluid. They must be driven, pulled or drilled out.Unhook the upper part of the shoes from the brake activators and pull each one out the top.
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 10:15am
And one more thing! Unhook the brake acuator rods from each peddle and unscrew from the inner activators or you can't get the shoes out.. 
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:06am
The hard part will be getting those pins out.  The pin is inserted from the outside bottom of the brake compartment.  There is a small bolt and flat plate keeper that prevents the pin from falling out.  The pin anchors the two halves of the brake shoes together in the bottom of the brake compartment.  With this pin out the shoes will come up out the top access hole.  Again the pin may be frozen in place from rust and dirt and may require much heat and penitrating fluid along with using a big pair of vice grips or even a pipe wrench to try to wiggle the pin.  In extreme conditions some have resorted to cutting that pin from the bottom into pieces and then driving them into the brake compartment and letting it fall out through the hole.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 6:03pm
Torch is your friend on this job
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes

1968 D15D,1958 D17D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 4:42am
These are the pins that Stan talked about,some days it takes a torch, Proceed with caution on this pin removal. If you need advise PM me. 

This link with take you to a post on this subject. 

Edited by dannyraddatz - 15 Jun 2013 at 4:45am
Danny Raddatz

1954 WD45, AC 5 ton running gear
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:19am
danny r has a very good post on this job, if you end up needing to cut the pins out do it outside as there will be lots of smoke from the burning mouse nests.  Also wear a good set of welding leathers so you don't get burned as you cut the pins.  I do want to encourage you to fix the brakes as they are a BIG safty issue several of us on here have done it so if you have further questions ask.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:26am
I just did a set on a friends tractor and I welded a 3/4 in. nut to the ends of the pins then soaked them with PB blaster. You can then put a wrench on them and eventually get them to turn. After loosening them up this way, they just pulled out.  Left the nuts on when we re-assembled them to make it easier next time!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic