This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Dealers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:15am
Does anyone know the name of the AC dealer in Medina county Ohio.  I was there when I was a little kid but don't remember where or the name.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 1:20pm
Grandpa was the dealer in the late 50's early 60's
A.C. Mayer  Miamisburg, Oh   I will have to ask dad for more details about before and after grandpa.  Dad and uncles Signed up for AC/DA in November of 85 In Wilmington OH, Then DA later in Jeffersonville, OH where we are still and AGCO dealer today.

Before us in Jeffersonville was
Krieger Farm Implement
Jeffersonville Farm Serivce
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 1:36pm

Steinke Tractor Sales Eaton, OH Still in business as Agco dealer. Grandpa bought 3 tractors from them new, 7000, 6265DA, and an LT70 There was also Suder Engine Service in Cincinnati, OH still in business as an engine shop.

Brad(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 8:40pm
Wade Implement, Endeavor WI, closed
Pruess Impl, Portage WI, open
Raemisch Imp, Dane WI, open
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 9:11pm
Ness Bros. Implement in Maxwell, IA
Mitchell Equipment in Bondurant, IA
Cross and Sons in Kilduff, IA
Central Iowa Farm Store at Marshalltown, IA
Garber Birkey Implement at Pomeroy, IA- in 1980s had stores at Lytton and Newell , also.
Anderson Implement  at Pocahontas, IA

I will keep thinking on this. I am not a "kid" but my history doesn't go back much beyond the late 60s.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Larry in OK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 9:43pm
Another for Oklahoma,

There is a stencil still partly legible on the toolbox of my '52 CA

The top of it is
 ALLIS-CHALMERS
STANISLAUS COMPANY

Under the name looks like
Farm Equipment, Feed, Hay (parts of it are illegible)
VINITA OKLA

They are long gone, but I'll ask some of my older relatives if they know anything about them.
Malcolm/NC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 10:01pm

Been lurking around since late 2001, so maybe time to post something.  I would like to add to Charlie's list for North Carolina.

Boyette Tractor in Wilson.  There was an Allis Chalmers dealer in Smithfield but cant not remember the name of it. That is where the original onwer of my  B said he purchsed it.  from.

Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:18pm
Joines Motor Company: Red Boiling Springs, TN: 1939-1962:  The building is still there in decent shape.

They sold Chrysler cars, Dodge trucks, and Allis Chalmers.  2 tractors bought new there are still in the family, a WD and D-14.

Other towns in my area of TN having dealers, but I can't remember the names:  Cookeville, Hartsville, Smithville, and Gallatin. 

Somebody already mentioned Eskew Equip in Lebanon and Goad Imp. in Barren Plains/Springfield.

Southern KY
Monroe Tractor: Tompkinsville Ky: closed - building still there in fair shape
J&J Sales: Glasgow KY: open
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Todd AL View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd AL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 10:19pm
Dr. C. Huff Co., Caneyville/Roundhill, KY closed
E.J. Kehrer Albers, IL, open. (or was the last time I was by there)
There is another in Carlyle IL that I can't remember roght now, but he just sold Simplicity and did repairs lately. i think it may be closed now.

Edited by Todd AL - 25 Apr 2010 at 11:02pm
bigallis1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigallis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 6:21am
Back in 2004 when we had the GOTO in Canandaigua New York, I posted an un-official listing of Allis dealers in New York state.
I started with 85 dealers listed before the show.
When the show ended we had a total of 105 dealers that were listed.
We asked people to list a dealer if they did not see it on our listing.
I'm sure there were more but we thought that was pretty good for New York state.
A retired Allis dealer by the name of Robert C. Raycraft from Capake Falls NY contributed most of the names.
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 6:49am
MI800...You missed....Allis Chalmers Sales in Flushing, Michigan. (West of Flint). Until 1960's. 
Life is short...Make haste to be kind
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 7:34am
Will there ever be an organization as large as AC in the U.S. again, with the exception of the Government?
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 8:00am
Keller Implement in Nokomis, IL went out of business in the 70's I think. They turned the buildiing into a drive thru liquor store.

I was down at Dad's saturday and he told me that the first WD45 that Keller sold was in the back of the shed, serial number 148xxx. He also has one that is one of the last that Keller sold in 1957 I don't remember the serial number, but dad told me they had a choice between a D14 or this WD45 for the same price. I remember when I was very young going with dad to the dealership on buying trips for tractors, implements and parts.
Karl in MD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl in MD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 9:31am
I can add three from the Eastern Shore of Maryland (all long gone):  Gibson Equipment in Ingleside (Caroline County), Shaffer Equipment in Denton (Caroline County), and Pilchard Bros.--later Peninsula Tractor, in Pocomoke City (Worcester Co.) and Salisbury (Wicomico Co.).
A man's got to know his limitations.

'51 WD, Roto-Baler,, A-C rake, '44 C, '42 B
Jim Blue View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 11:50am
My Dad and Uncle were an Allis dealership in Mount Vernon, Ohio in the fourties and fifties called Mount Vernon Implement.  Their phone number was 946.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:37pm
For the Michigan list, add Johnson and Sons, Ithaca, MI, still in business, but now as a NAPA parts store. Plummer Implement was the dealer in Lansing, and they also had a location in Mason.
D17JIM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:56pm
I can add Fairground Implement in Frankfort, Indiana and I think the Name was Keller Implement in Worthington, Ind.  Both are gone I beleive.  Jim 
D17JIM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:58pm
Sorry I repeated the Kellers in Worthington,Ind
daryl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 12:58pm
Farmers Implement Co.  Candor, N.C.
Randolph Farm Equipment Co. Asheboro, N.C.
Both are now closed
John(IN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 4:10pm
Hoosier Garage, Ferdinand, IN and there was a dealer for a short time in Bakers Corner, IN but I can't think of what the name of that one was.
Learn something every day!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 5:22pm
My Dad bought a brand new 185 which I still own from Dean's Farm Supply in Hillsdale Mi.Hudson Mi. had Bishop's Equipment my Granddad bought a 58 D17 there .Coldwater had an Allis dealer but I cannot recall his name,Johnsons were an Allis dealer in Wayland Mi.so was Roundtree in Hanover Mi.Spratt's took over from Deans in 1980 but did not make it through after 1985.
jbrekken1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrekken1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 5:48am
Found this thread as I was looking for info on Grandpa's dealership:
Brekken Impl. Co., Tracy, MN

I'd love to hear from someone with connections, pics, artifacts, stories.  We are still a die hard AC family.  A tractor isn't quite as pretty as when it's painted orange.  -John
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:12am
While getting ready to load on Sunday at Albert City, a guy walked up and was telling me how his dad sold 2 A's at his dealership.  Thought of this thread so I got out a pen and paper to add to the list.  It would sure be nice to get it compiled somehow.

Richard Peterson  Pomeroy, IA
Originated in 1933 sold to Garber Burke in 195?
Jeff(WC)(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:21am
Originally posted by MI8050 MI8050 wrote:

Leach farm equipment  Evart MI.

Card Bros.  Merril and Chesaning MI  (Chesaning still open)

Fremont Farm eq.  Fremont MI

Modern Power Equipment  Zeeland MI.

Dick Coulter Inc.  North Branch MI  (still open)

Lloyd Coulter Lapeer Mi.

North Center Farm supply  Armada MI.

Bauer and sons. Reese MI.

Diuble Ann Arbor MI  (still open)

Dans Farm Supply  Adrian MI  (still open)

Dull's Clare MI  (now Kubota different name)

Sumerix Imp.  (still open as AC!!!!!)

Williams in Charlotte MI   (still open)

Patterson & sons  St. Johns MI  (still open as of a couple eyars ago as AC!!!!)

Davarn Pewamo MI.  (sold my K2 new)
There was also Bud and Dons in Ida, MI  and a small one here in Blissfield, can;t remember the name but the building is still there, it's housing a couple classic cars now
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 10:03am

In the late 70s   Iowa had roughly 100 dealers, and was the only state at that time to have its own branch wharehouse that serviced just the state of Iowa.   the dealer numbers alway fluctuated  one or two every year, by 1985 the numbers were in sharp decline, I dont remember when they closed the Iowa branch at Bondurant, all history now.  I closed out in Jan of 1985, was a very painfull time, my life savings were gone and a lot of self respect too.

Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:09pm
haha i posted on this way back in january! lol   skipwelte i knew iowa had to have a great deal of dealerships it just seems like everywhere you go there is still an agco dealer.  i'll name the 3 that are all within 25 miles of my farm 
Dumont Implement Co.     Dumont IA         open
Dieke Implement Co.         Waverly IA          open
Swartzrock Implement Co.  Charles City IA    open

seems weird when people say that they have to drive so far to get to a dealership, there are also 2 john deere dealerships and 2 international dealerships within 25 min of my farm! lol  
1955 WD-45 with factory PS
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:00pm
There was a dealership in Franklin, IN that closed sometime in the 70's. 

Our neighbor worked for Allis Chalmers.

The building is actually still there, but has been remodeled and added onto so many times that no one in the world would recognize it. It became Davidson Lumber, and was bought by stock lumber, and then the city bought the place, and it now houses the police department.

Edited by clovis - 17 Aug 2010 at 1:03pm
John(IN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:34pm
Yes there was an industrial equipment and lawn and garden dealer in Franklin.  It was owned by Bill Paris and I think the name was Paris Eq.  I also worked at the Allis-Chalmers branch in Franklin from 1964 until 1970 when I transferred to Milwaukee and I now own the HD-4 that Bill Paris used in his land development business back then.
Learn something every day!
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:35pm
John-

That is interesting. I was just a kid when they were open here in Franklin, and I had no idea that Bill owned it. I didn't know that they only sold industrial and L/G. 

I reckon that is one reason you don't see so much orange around here, but there are still lots of L/G tractors. 

I worked at Arvin years ago in the press room, for a short while while I was in college, and they had a monster sized Allis fork lift. That is what we used to move those massive, huge dies from press to press. I wonder if it was purchased because Allis had a dealer here?

I've often wondered what ever became of that "mule".   

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:45pm
Let's try some Central Maryland dealerships.
Wertz Garage, Lineboro, MD  -  Still in existance - sells MF products
Tyler Fulton, Churchville, MD   -  Not in existance today
O. E. Long, Stevenson, MD     -  Not in existance today
O'farrell Bros Westminter, MD     Not in existance today
AA County Supply Glen Burnie, MD  Not in existance today
AC Young Upper Marbarlo, MD      Not in existance today
Bowling & Mudd  Nr La Plata, MD   Not in existance today
Coppage Equipment, Great Mills, MD  Not in existance today
Daisy Garage  Nr. Mt. Airy, MD      Not in existance today
John Fogle, New Windsor, MD       Not in existance today
Richline Bros Westminster, MD      Not in existance today
Thats about all I can remember.  Yes there were a bunch on the Eastern Shore and a lot in Western MD but they were not in our block
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic