This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HARVEY-V12 GENERATOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HARVEY-V12 GENERATOR
    Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:40am
THIS IS A UPDATE FROM THE POST LAST FALL ABOUT THE ALLIS BUILT V8-V12 ENGINES.I HAD A LEAD ABOUT THESE ENGINES FROM A FORMER ALLIS MECHANIC THAT USED TO WORK FOR DD KENNEDY(ALLIS CONST DEALER)THAT THERE WAS ALLIS 65000 GENERATOR(V12) IN THE BASEMENT OF THE HOSPITAL IN HARVEY,IL.I THOUGHT THE THING WOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED A LONG TIME AGO.ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO I GOT CURIOUS AND MADE THE CALL. I FOUND OUT THAT NOT ONLY WAS THE V12 STILL THER AND RUNNING AS A EMERGENCY GENERATOR,BUT IT WAS SCHEDULED TO BE REPLACED ANY WEEK!!!!TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT IT,IT IS SITTING AT MY SHOP IN WESTVILLE,IN.(INFO-ALLIS-CHALMERS 65000 V-12 ENGINE-6X6 B/S,2037CI,TWIN TURBO,900HP,BUILT DEC.1972-)I FILMED THE OLD HARVEY ENGINE PLANT AND GENERATOR REMOVAL AND WILL HAVE A LINK TO UTUBE SHORTLY.
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:52am
That a great peice of good timeing. It's always good to follow your instinks ASAP.
I know where there are two others, one with the A-C 550 KW generator and the other
with another brand generator. I have literature. Very interesting engines. I can't find any information that the V-8 version ever went into production.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:08am
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the youtube vid.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 7:48pm
congratulations, that is quite a score.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 12:33am
And excellent timing!  I'm always a week too late.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 5:12am
Theres another in St Louis that i ran across,, still like brand new!
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:06am
TO ELABERATE ON CALS THREAD,THE V8'S DID NOT GO INTO PRODUCTION-THEY WERE USED FOR TESTING UNITS.ALLIS SAID THER WAS A STRONGER MARKET FOR THE V12.APARENTLY FROM MY SERVICE BULLITAINS THAT WASN'T THE CASE,MY BULLJTAINS ONLY SHOW TO SERIAL #55.THE ENGINE FROM HARVEY IS SERIAL #6.I WOULD GUESS ALLIS MADE THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS?MAYBE SOMEBODY OUT THERE KNOWS MORE OF THE STORY.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:55pm
Video yet?
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 6:06am
DON-TALKED TO MY GUY,WORKING ON THE VIDEO THIS WEEKEND.HOPEFULLY WILL BE DONE IN A DAY OR SO.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by big al big al wrote:

TO ELABERATE ON CALS THREAD,THE V8'S DID NOT GO INTO PRODUCTION-THEY WERE USED FOR TESTING UNITS.ALLIS SAID THER WAS A STRONGER MARKET FOR THE V12.APARENTLY FROM MY SERVICE BULLITAINS THAT WASN'T THE CASE,MY BULLJTAINS ONLY SHOW TO SERIAL #55.THE ENGINE FROM HARVEY IS SERIAL #6.I WOULD GUESS ALLIS MADE THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS?MAYBE SOMEBODY OUT THERE KNOWS MORE OF THE STORY.
EX engine plant employee here; just found this thread and I know it's an old thread but, I believe I can add to the knowledge base for these special engines. I was one of the first builders (not assemblers) of the proto type V12 production engines.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:49pm
Well ACjack, go ahead and spill your guts if u wish. Is there a video of the start/running of these engine?
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:46pm
Not that I'm aware of but, I do know that there was a story on the V 12 in the company news magazine. Big Al said in another thread that he'd gotten a hold of some pictures.
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:14pm
Sooooooo...do we get to see a video of this monster running? I'd love to hear it run.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 5:58am
There is a video on Youtube of them lifting the engine out of the hospital. The engine was at the GOTO in LaPorte this summer and it was running. Very impressive! There must be a video of that some where.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

One of the earlier gen sets was sent out to Tucson, AZ. It was the back up power for Bio-sphere 2.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

There is a video on Youtube of them lifting the engine out of the hospital. The engine was at the GOTO in LaPorte this summer and it was running. Very impressive! There must be a video of that some where.
I've watched that video earlier this year but I want see one of it running. Anyone know how many RPMs it turns? That thing has to bellar.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by ACjack ACjack wrote:

Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

One of the earlier gen sets was sent out to Tucson, AZ. It was the back up power for Bio-sphere 2.
I'd love to get a hold off one of those engines and squeeze it into my 8550.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 4:35pm
I remember reading that before Allis went under in 85' that they where working on designs for a 900 hp tractor, was this the engine they were going to use?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:02pm
Still waiting on the startup/ running video

Edited by DonDittmar - 28 Oct 2014 at 7:02pm

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by grinder220 grinder220 wrote:

I've watched that video earlier this year but I want see one of it running. Anyone know how many RPMs it turns? That thing has to bellar.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:15pm

Being in a 60 hertz gen set the rpm's would have to be 1,800
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm

I remember reading that before Allis went under in 85' that they where working on designs for a 900 hp tractor, was this the engine they were going to use?

Don't know about that but, one of the first 12 engines built was a 61000 (800 hp @ 2100 rpm's) that was sent down to Springfield, IL. We heard it was going into a HD41.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:11pm
This picture was taken a Laporte last summer.
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 8:15am
Cannot remember the model year but it was a Freightliner COE while I worked in Salt Lake City in 1980/81 that a fiend had a Allis inline engine. Could possibly have been a 78 or 79 model year as had a lot of miles and parts were getting hard to come by. We ran for IML Eagle Division(Special Commodities). He traded it that year on a KW K100C with a Cat 3406.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Cannot remember the model year but it was a Freightliner COE while I worked in Salt Lake City in 1980/81 that a fiend had a Allis inline engine. Could possibly have been a 78 or 79 model year as had a lot of miles and parts were getting hard to come by. We ran for IML Eagle Division(Special Commodities). He traded it that year on a KW K100C with a Cat 3406.

A fiend in need is a fiend indeed...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:30am
I got this out of my book The Allis Chalmers Story.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:33am
By my calculations it is 1357 c.i.d.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 8:56pm

The V-12 was 2035 cu.in.   The V-8 was 1357 cu.in.  Serial # 43 is near me.  I have seen 3  V-12's and heard two run. First learned about the V-12 and saw my first one about 7 years ago.

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 10:18pm

Serial # 43 is near me
Was it sold through a dealer by the name of John (G?) Steel? We shipped a lot of gen sets and some V12 sets up there also. 

Brent1999 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
I think I'm taking serial #51 out of a hospital know trying to find a weight for it for crane company
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic