[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford loses power when pto engaged

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnafarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford loses power when pto engaged
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:05pm
A friend has a ford 8n with a finish mower on it. He bought the tractor last year and this is first time he's trying to use the mower. When he engages the pto however the motor loses all power almost like its going 2 stall. Any suggestions like timing or maybe a tune up. He's used the tractor to grade his driveway and stuff like that and it's never acted like this. Just when he engages the pto and releases the clutch.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:30pm
 If choking it helps some, I would take a look at how free the fuel flow is to the drain plug in the bottom of the carburetor. Let it run for a minute or 2 into a small funnel and into a can but make sure the is no restriction between the tank and the carb bowl.
 If you have a restriction, as soon as the governor cracks the throttle open it gets too much air and not enough fuel and dies.

After rereading your post, I would go with Lonnie's suggestion first.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 09 May 2013 at 9:38pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:31pm
I would start by engaging the pto without being hooked to the mower to see if there is any drag on it at that point. If that is good then it must be in the mower, a seized bearing or something maybe?
20-35, Wauk B, 2-B's, IB, 2-TLB's, TLW, TL6, C, CA, 2-G's, RC, UC Cont., 4 WC's, styled WF, WD45w/AARPS, 2-W Patrols, M crawler, D15, D15 forklift, TT-18, B125 PU, Ford 8N
David Gantt N.C. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gantt N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:45pm
I agree it could be the mower
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:45pm
do those tractors have a PTO brake built into them?? if so..check to see if it's binding inside the tractor..(they are easy to see inside under the cover under the seat) or maybe the brake is on inside, but check the easy first as Lonnie said...
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:56pm
If it does it without an attachment, probably the PTO is either bound up in the hydraulic pump or the rear bearing. Those are the only two spots that shaft can bind inside the tractor.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Jim seIl View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim seIl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:33am
If he used a 3 point blade to grade his drive there is nothing wrong with the pto as it will have to run to pickup 3 point look at mower bearings or brake on mower 8ns are 30 years too old for pto brakes
cnafarms View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnafarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:52am
Thanks guys. I will pass this information along. The knowledge here and freely sharing it amazes me. Thanks again
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 11:38am
I'm thinking it's operator error.  I would hope he knows to slowly let out the clutch to slowly get the mower up to speed.  Any tractor will choke if you engage it too quickly.

1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
H Clark View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 12:23pm
Sounds normal for a Ford. Lol
1960 D-12,1948 WC, 1973 160, 1977 175, 1984 6060
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:30pm
that's right Jim...i forgots that the PTO turns on them when using the 3-pt!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic