[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foam my mower tires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foam my mower tires?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:23am
Anyone have experience having their mower tires foamed? My zero turn will sometimes lose pressure on a front tire when I am doing alot of turning on rough or sloped ground. Don't know if a tube would hold up? Also if foaming is an option where do you go to get that done?
Thanks
D17
Sponsored Links

scott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 10:13am

Get a tube. My mower has 4 of em.

farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 10:15am
i sure like the foam tire on my wheelborrow.  i have issues with thorns from blackberries in my old lawn mower.  i rented a big squirt boom forklift last year that had foam filled tires
Mike(SEIN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike(SEIN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:23pm
I hearr foam will give a rough ride.
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:06pm
I like the tube 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:13pm
If you foam them you won't be going anywhere on rough and sloped ground. they don't give at all.  they also add quite a bit of wieght and when your tires are weather checked away witch only take a couple years for mower tires you'll be buying new rims. Put tubes in and you should be fine.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:16pm
we poly fill (foam fill) tires for most of the forklifts we sell. it will absolutely give you a rough ride. it will also cost you some traction because the tire will not give. foam is also pretty pricey, some places charge by the pound others by the tire size. on a forklift it generally cost close to the tire price. i'd go with a tube.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:20pm
My Z turn has also had problems with the small tires in front loosing air or getting a puncture . Last time i green slimed them after fixing the leak . 
 Keep thinking of looking for a solid tire about the same size to replace the tubless ones on the front. The dang small size and the type of tire will make it hard to get a tube into them .  
Take Warning on what you hear and who you hear it from - “A lie repeated a hundred times becomes the truth.”
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 6:28pm
I have foamed the tires on the front of my dixie chopper Zero turn.  Unfortunately my local tire dealer only sells one grade of foam, rock hard.  While the manufacturer makes several grades of hardness, the local dealer won't order it.  Also, the local dealer wanted brand new tires to warranty the job.  You might try Looking around amazon and ebay, and comparing  prices, on your size,  softer ride would be worth it!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:51pm
i like foam fill! gots/gits tired of having tires fixed! don't have it on everything, but like the trail wheel on my plow, and wheel barrows, and a few other things. thinkin bouts doing the mower tires to...just to watch the ole lady....oooops....i mean the loving wife....jiggle! lol 
donkey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:00pm
Where do you guys get your tires filled?
D17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 6:07pm
I got mine done at a local industrial tire dealer, did an internet search for foam tire filling, IIRR
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 8:30pm
Slime em.

It does work and dont let someone tell ya it does not.

1 John 2:15 - Read it

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 1:32am
i foam my own!
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:57am
I foam at the mouth sometimes. the ole lady ... I mean the loving wife ... thinks I have rabies.
"People are human beings, produced by the society in which they live. You encourage people by seeing the good in them." ~ Nelson Mandela
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 11:11am
 Dropped my snapper off for some warranty work and due to slack front tire the service tech called and offered to slime them for free while they had it in shop. Been fine since middle of last year.  Comes in a fix a flat type can for less than 12 bucks per can. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic