This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD hydraulic fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD hydraulic fluid
    Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:26pm
I was told that my WD requires a special hydraulic fluid due to the pump type. I was wondering if this was the case and what type of fluid I need. If it is an unusual type, where might I find it? I checked my level today and I am way to low.
Thanks in advance.

Brian
Sponsored Links

orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:36pm
Brian....Non Detergent straight weight.  I generally have used 20 year around.  If I need to add in the winter, I add #10 and #30 in the summer.  # 20 seems to be harder to get in some areas.  I think some are even using universal hyd....Dale
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:42pm
If its way low  and you don't know whats in it now, don't add to it , drain and refill . The  operators manuall calls for SAE20 above 45  or SAE 10 below 45 degrees.  Capacity is checked with the rams extended. I would use a good quality Hy-Tran fluid  .You do have an operators manual?, don't you?
I started out years ago with nothing.... after this divorce , I'll be getting most of it back.........
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:52pm
No I don't have an operators manual. I was given a service manual but I was unable to find the fluid type. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:56pm
I would agree with Gary, drain it and fill with hytran fluid. It is much more available and much better oil than the straight weight oil recommended 50 years ago. Any Farm store should have it and I think Walmart even has it.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:01pm
ooopps

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 09 Feb 2010 at 2:02pm
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 6:38pm
Thanks for the info. I'll get draining tomorrow.
RickUP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:19pm
There should be a 1/8" pipe plug on the bottom of the pump. Drain that too just to insure any water or condesation gets out of there.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:27pm
  Good point , Rick, I forgot that.  Roughstock, if you go to the top of the main page and click on Allis store , the dude that owns this site will sell you all the manuals  you need for a small fee, it helps him keep the site going.   Gary
I started out years ago with nothing.... after this divorce , I'll be getting most of it back.........
KC/WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 7:46pm
I use a universal hydraulic fluid from Wal-Mart in my WD. Works well, inexpensive and convenient. Been using it now for 3yrs, and this year was my first year to use the WD for pushing snow, we're talking about single digit temps and no problems with my hydraulics at all. I was so impressed and proud!! Good luck Roughstock, and I also purchase a manual from this forum that is very helpful along with all these wonderful people providing advicel.
dpage02 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpage02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:55am
Now I'm confused. The last post said hytran in the rearend. I have drain plug under the gear shift (with a fill plug on the side). I put gear lube there. there is another plug under the rear axle (but no apparent fill point). Is that all gear lube?
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:11pm
The trans and the hand clutch/hydraulics are separate. The trans takes 80-90W. The hydraulics gets the hy-tran.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
dpage02 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpage02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:30pm
What is the purpose of the 2 drain plugs--one in the axle and one for the tranmission, but only one fill point ( below the gearshift). Do they have the same reservoir but separate drains?
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:51pm
Here looking in from the rear with rear end out, you can see the reason for needing two drain plugs but only one fill hole.  The full level is well above the pass through holes, but to fully drain there needs to be a drain on either side of the wall.  Tom

Edited by TomMN - 09 Feb 2010 at 1:53pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:57pm
The differential and the transmission are 2 different castings. If you only drain the differential you will have old junk still in the transmission that will be mixed up with your new fluids. You don't need 2 fill holes cause the fluid will run to the differential. That is part of the reason I drained everything and fill everything with hytran fluid. Hytran has worked well in my diff. since 1983 with no problems. 
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 4:16pm
Roughstock, When we sold them we used SAE 20 non-detergent oil.  Worked fine.  That said I have heard good reports of the "state of the art" hytran fluid.  I did see some 20W at Tractor Supply Company.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic