[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade hot water pressure washer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade hot water pressure washer
    Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 8:53am
Has anyone ever made a hot water pressure washer ? ive got the outside wood furnace to heat the water to 180, couldnt one be made up ?
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 9:43am
Seems to me a pressure washer is a pump, and a wand (a valve). Depending on the pump you might want a regulator of some sort. You need a way to get the water from the furnace to the pump and from the pump to the valve. Should be fairly easy. I've never made one I'm just spit balling here. I would think you would need a large heated water source to be able to maintain your temprature. I don't know how fast you can heat the water but it seems there would have to be a large source or some high heat
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 9:54am
Im thinking you need a copper/other metal worm coiled around the fire/heat. The longer the worm, the hotter the water or more hot water available. One of them instant hot water heaters could get expensive, could just use regular water heater before the pump. Might be cheaper to just buy a steam jenny.  Not sure if standard pressure washer pump could stand the hot water either.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 9:59am
If you had some copper tubing and could make 10-20 loops with it then all you need is to connect it to a garden hose on one end and the pressure washer on the other.  Then build a fire under the coil.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 11:13am
The wood furnace is 135 gallon and has 2 pumps on it , and can get the water temp to 180 degrees- one could be used to supply the water to it, hhhhmmm would hot water be as good as steam? Wanting to clean up greasy AC, s i get in

Edited by DougG - 31 Mar 2013 at 11:15am
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 11:20am
I have used hot water from my tankless hot water heater set at its highest setting, I think it is 180 degrees, and it works ok.  Just the problem is the seals in the pump will not tolerate hot water and wear out in no time flat.  I bought a hot water washer from Ritchie's auction for less than half new price and it was a new unit.  Way better than the hot water heater thing for washing.  In fact most of my neighbors are wondering what I am up to as the last two years I have clean trucks all winter and summer, used to be they never got washed and it was a big joke about it when it rained...
The hot water washer is the way to go but is not cheap, sure works good on greasy equipment.
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 10:09pm
Hello Doug      I would think a common pressure washer. check max imput temp on washer pump, would be important and your ability to furnish the gallons per min.   I think that would be slick.  I have a hot water pressure washer that I don't use soap and am happy with results
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:43am
Double problem , hot water will kill the pump as the hot water high pressure units use ambient temp water then send it to the heating coil. 
 Heating coil has to be of material to take the high pressure from pump. So if your going over 200 PSI or so you need a strong material.
 Figuring your flow rate from pump to heat transfer from coil - then a bypass so when no flow from unit does not cause over pressure or a overheating ?  
 Now i have a older steam cleaner that is propane fired - that the supply pump is bad on that could be converted into a hot water boiler IF someone needs a experiment with home built units . Would part with it cheap. 
YOU DON'T THINK YOUR WAY TO A NEW WAY OF LIVING --
YOU LIVE YOUR WAY TO A NEW WAY OF THINKING ..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic