[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7040 3 point problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7040 3 point problem
    Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 11:01am
The 8030 3 point problem post made me think to ask you guys this. My neighbor has a 7040 and he doesn't use much and a while ago the 3 point stopped working totally and he had his mechanics work on slow days "this is the trucking company so slow means no trucks in shop" so they went thru all kinds of stuff and ended up the lift arm shafts were seized where they went thru housing. They freed that up and putt back together and now when you raise them it won't stop when it gets to top or move lever just goes to top and continues to try going up and have to shut tractor off or push that plunger thingy in under that cover in back of tractor. I said they prolly have an adjustment messed up from the begging before they realized the arms were seized. Or maybe traction booster linkage is messed up. Figured it ask you guys and get an idea for him. Thanks
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 11:22am
That thing must never get used!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 11:36am
Ha he got it from a guy that owed him money. That guy had it never used it for farming but to go to the bar at night due to lost license from dwi lol
T.J. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:21pm
If they sit outside and don't get the three point used much, the traction booster linkage tends to freeze up. The first time I saw all that linkage and had to make one work, I thought I may have a heart attack. As far as I'm concerned anymore, I'd rather see one of those instead of most anything else of that vintage because it's out where you can work on it. The one simple fact about the problem you are talking about is that when the arm cylinder gets to the top of the stroke, the linkage has to quit pressing the button on the valve. If the linkage is canceling out off the button but the button is not returning to neutral, spray plunger with PB blaster and work it till its free. Check the spring on the plunger and the other springs in the linkage. All the pivot points in the control linkage must move freely. Some of the pivots may need dissasembled and coated in anti seize. First think though is to put the linkage back to where it was before they started any adjustments. usually you can run it back to the old paint and/or rust marks. Otherwise they better get ahold of the factory service manual. BTW, if aanyone is ever desperate enough to make the arms just go up and down till you can work on it, you can always take the line off the valve, cap valve, and adapt house over to one of the remote valve. No draft control but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures but a good soaking of the draft control linkage in PB blaster is useful.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:48pm
If the control valve was taken apart, the plastic shims were not put back on each of the four bolts causing worpage of valve bodies or over tightened.  MACK
jrf View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:49pm
Mile, thats funny you say that,we had a neighbor that had a 7080 that was his bar car. He got arrested in a bar fight one night so our cop friend called my dad to drive it home, because none of the cops could figure out the twist handle shifter.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 6:05pm
Ok thanks. I don't be leave they messed with the adjustments on traction booster. Ill have to ask though. Mack do you have a picture of what your saying so I know what I'm talkin about when I tell them lol. Want to sound good haha
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:43am
Don't have a picture, but there is four bolts that holds the valve stack togather. There should be a plastic shim on all four bolts between every section including the end cap.
   MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic