[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help, Waukesha 283

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help, Waukesha 283
    Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 10:07pm
Hey guys, looking for a little insight.  I have been working on my bosses Oliver super 88 diesel that has a Waukesha 283 diesel out of a 1650 implanted into it.  Was sucking oil past the head gasket and blowing out the exaust.  Put new bearings, rings and head was planed and valves ground.  First head gasket did not seal and was sucking oil and antifreeze past fire rings.  Got it apart and found that the head bottomed out on the dowel pins.  Got that fixed and tapped threads in block.  Put new gasket in again and thought it pulled down tight.  Got it running again yesterday still wasn't right but better.  Got new head bolts today and it seems that the fire rings are now sealed as it runs good with no smoke.  However the gasket is seeping oil and antifreeze out the side and running down the block.  Wondering if anybody knows about putting a copper head gasket in these?  The gasket I have just doesn't seem like its thick enough.  Also read online that it may be better to use a 310 gasket.  The gasket I have is the scalloped type, and was thinking a straight cut one may be better.  Sorry for the long post.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks guys
21 A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1969 180D.
Sponsored Links

HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:32pm
bump
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
Have you retightened the head after it's been ran awhile. Might do it twice. The only totally copper head gasket with fire rings we have ever put on was for pulling on a D17G. The copper was a little to thick and it wouldn't even smash it to take the ripples out from the stamping proccess. We used gasket sealer around the oil and water holes but I don't know about doing that on a work tractor. Copper coat is another thing we have used on head gaskets just around the pasages and haven't had problems on any.
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:32pm
I would pull the head again and use a spray can of copper coat on it and then run it and re-torque it per specs.  If that doesn't work, there's a place in Washington that makes a large amount of aftermarket head gaskets that are not available and they will make you a crushable gasket with fire rings and copper rings around all the ports if that's what you need.
1930 U
1938 A
1941 WF
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:52pm
Yes I have retorqued them a few times, still leaking.  I ordered a victor gasket today which has the straight cut edge and will hopefully be better.  I plan on spraying some copper coat on it this time and putting a little silicone around the water ports and hopefully get it sealed up this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic