This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Brackets on a WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Brackets on a WD
    Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 2:16pm
  I want to change my weight bracket set up on my tractor before the season begins. I want to mount the weight "side ways", instead of foreward and I plan on moving to battery up there also. I think I overkilled the one that is on it now. What do you guys use for material? I have eas some that looked weak that seemed to work.. Pics will help.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Sponsored Links

Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 5:33pm
A couple of years ago I had Phil Brown  aka d17brown on here build me a wd45 pulling tractor.  He did excellent work. the weights are sideways and 11 feet out from the center of the rear wheels.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 6:41pm
That is exactly what I am looking for! What thickness is the metal?
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 6:43pm
Whats on the back?
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 8:40pm
rear view the final drives are  taped for corn picker mounts so use them holes. the center is bolted to the  factory holes and the draw bar is a non snap coupler front half .
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:36am
What thickness of material is the front bracket made of?
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 3:38pm
I'll try to measure it tonight. Last I know Phile had a steel one Just like this for sale. He made a Aluminum one fro himself.
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:21am
The main beam is 1/2 "  you could build it lighter. mine is 150 to 200 pounds I'd have to weight it.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 8:11am
Thanks for the help on the weight bracket! I posted pics on the facebook page. I added several pounds to the tractor. The bracket was made from 3/8 instead of 1/2. I probably over killed the bracing, I always do. total weight is 125#. The origional that was 16" shorter weighed 65#. Trying to figure out how much I could loose going to 4x15 aluminum wheels instead of the 4x16 steel, with 5.50x16 tires.
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 8:14pm
I think I saw that picture on facebook.

WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:41pm
Fields ?   What did that tractor weight ? Cotn? What's ur tractor weight ? I'm trying to decide if an aluminum front end will benefit me or not ? I'm hunting down a feller up here with an (h) and with him sitting on it he's at 3400 lbs. have a pull coming up and looking to take him on in 3700 lb class . In percentage pull I can beat him . But this will be a distance pull this time .
WILDBILL
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:23pm
Well it was 3800 with me on it when I first built it. The front end was the heavy wd45 one. I changed it to a early wc one. From what I have learned there are 3 differnt weight narrows. The early wc are 120# the mid to wd  ones are 180# and the wd45 ones are 320# a wide front is 350# . Phile built a Aluminum one like the one he build for me. I think he said it was like 100# lighter than the steel one. I think with the 13.6-38 wheels on back and no front weight braket  it would be 3200# bare.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:37pm
Thanks Fields. I'm gonna be close. I did buy a flaming river rack and pinion. . Think I will just use light weight steel and fab the wide front end with rack and pinion. Odds of me finding the 120# front end are slim. I will make a few calls tomorrow . Wonder where cotn is at for weight . I dropped about everything possible except the hand clutch stuff. I gotta keep the blasted thing cause of girlfriend and my son like to pull it. I have an extra wc chassis suppose I could steel the bolster. Lol. Ok se ya Fields
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:40am
My tractor weighed 3300 pounds before the new weight bracket. Now we looking at 3365. I still have the hand clutch, my eight year old uses it. My oldest son pulls it in the 3500# class, now with him on it we will weigh in at 3545. I may have to go to aluminum front wheels to keep him in the 3500.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 9:18am
Thanks Cotn for the info. same as well from Fields. i dropped the wide front yesterday and noticed grandpa must have put a wd front end on it. wish i could ask him what happened but i think no cell phones in coffins allowed. Anyways I left the gear box in the frame and noticed the tie rod arm was bolted on.  so i unbolted it and cleaned off the oil and noticed the spindle or hub has 5 bolt pattern ?  here's my thought . Make a narrow front out of schedule 40 tube and bolting it to the hub under the gear box. would be at best 24 inches of 4inch or 4.5 inch tube.  Then i could pick the spindles and hubs for the aluminum wheels i have from my buddys rail drag car. he gave me weld lite drag rims which are 23# each. This will also allow a person to set the rake at desired height.
Question?  Has anyone ever seen this ? I noticed in HOOK Magazine a feller was selling light weight bolsters for IH crap. obviolusly He cut he cast out and welded in a new tube. I also noticed towards the back of the Magazine there was a guy  with a Wc in the 3000# class ? Aluminum frame rails would be easy to make also. My theory is to load the rear wheels better and front weight bracket.  I have race car Scales to equal the offset better on right side and left side. I learned in aviation school about (cgw) center of gravity weight theory and was trying to adapt this into my pulling career.  Maybe a new thread I should have started but I will see if there is any feed back. 
firephight View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:21pm
Good idea of the aluminum frame rails.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:34pm
Thanks . I know a guy could shave some weight . Then just paint them to match .
EricSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:42pm
My WC made 3000 lb when I weighed 200lbs with 13.6 38 tires on the back but it was close lol my buddy that does a lot of my welding suggested aluminum frame rail. But it made it might be a idea for a WD though]
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 9:19am
i priced the 6" channel and about fell over .lol  . I have a d19 that would be cool to have on a diet and see how light it could be. i'm 225 lbs and dont think i will ever make the 3,000 mark on my Wc with me on it and a little front end weight. oh well life goes on.
bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 1:08pm
I know this was posted a while back, but does anyone know the exact dimensions of the weight rack in that picture? Thanks!
1950 B, 1952 pulling wd, and 1954 wd45
Brians1946 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brians1946 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:05pm
I must've just hit the lottery with my WC. i stripped of the PTO and clutch pulley, built a home-made adjustable hitch, and with me on it, i can put on 80 lbs, and still in 3000lb class. (i'm 205 so thats not a factor). Running 13.9x28 rears with the cast centers. no major modifications done
pohlman249 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pohlman249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:02am
I do have a cast chronicler front end that I got from Steve that bolts on like the one you are thinking of fabing up there Wild Bill
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:20pm
What is holding that weight in front of that tractor? Is it flying?
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:23pm
Now I see the bracket. I guess im a little more color blind than I thought lol
Dirty Harry View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:48pm
Thats a nice hood you got there.
Brians1946 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brians1946 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 10:19pm
That bracket did the job, until in the next class i piled on more than i usually do, then bounced the front end and lost some, DQ'ing a full pull, DOH! so this year i'm going to borrow some from this idea
And as far as the hood, Its almost time to start teardown for paint

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic