[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gleaner a and a2 differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gleaner a and a2 differences
    Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 10:31am
What mechanical and cosmetic differences are there between a gleaner a and an a2
"A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his" Ronald Reagan - 1980 presidential campaign
Sponsored Links

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 12:20pm
I'll jump in here, on A2, factory cab option, different platform/controls, bigger hopper, diesel option, different rear end sheet metal, bigger tires, different fuel tank(oval instead of round) metal batts on reel, hydraulic cyls on reel as option, power steering option, different ladder on back and front, I think it could be optioned with a/c but not 100% sure on that, I'm not sure if the cylinder mounting was the same or not. What I can think of off hand. My Dads A also had no clutch, it had a lever/belt with a great big spring to engage the transmission, and a ford engine, Trev.

Edited by TREVMAN - 07 Jan 2013 at 12:22pm
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 6:41pm
The later serial numbered A combines build after #14053 thru to #3000 had the most of same options that the A-l l 's had except for the bigger grain tank, variable speed drive for the cylinder, the wider rear axle and some little things. My A is serial # 27,XXX has it has most of the same stuff as the A-l l. except for the noted above and the rear axle was farmer widened out years ago on it.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 9:21pm
Trevman, Your dad had a T model. The As all had the foot clutch Buta (Allis) engine.  MACK
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 6:28am
I thought the early A (before Allis bought Gleaner) used a Ford or some other engine rather than the Allis Buda. Sure would like to see a real early one up close. I do have an early sales brochure on them before Allis was involved. I think it's titled 14 Foot Self Propelled Combine Harvester. I'll have to look for it.
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 1 Timothy 2:5
Mark 4:11-12
1 Corinthians 3:10
John 14:6
Romans 8:34
Isaiah 34:5
http://bookofconcord.org/smalcald.php
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 7:25am
Did all of the A2's have the variable speed cylinder?  It seems the one I had was not adjustable if I remember correctly.  It was a 64 model.  I am talking to a fellow that has a late A but it has had the bin replaced with an A2 bin (original got damamged).  Has a 330 corn head and a platform.  Has a cozy cab installed instead of the later Stolpler cab.  Does anybody have a junk A2 with the Stolper cab?
Thanks
Adam
"A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his" Ronald Reagan - 1980 presidential campaign
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:17am
I think I need to back up on  the A engine. The first Balwin Gleaner A had a Herclies engine. And it could have had a V-speed clutch. (Only a fooled never changes his mind)
  The first A2s did not have a V-speed cylinder. Almost same as A with big grain bin and wider shoe.   MACK
Lester View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:41am
I had a 1964 AII and it had no variable on the cylinder but Dads 1966 had a variable cylinder.
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:10am
Hey Mack, glad you changed your mind. It was a 51 A, Ford engine, no clutch system, had a v-belt drive with a big lever/spring on the platform to engage. He installed a hydraulic cylinder and an idler, put a valve on the platform to control it instead of the lever. The neighbor had one with the Hercules, my Dad says they combined together and the Herc would always outcombine him. My Dad recently gave me the original sales brochure. He thinks he knows where the combine is and wants to go looking for it...It didn't have a variable speed cylinder, Trev.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 4:53pm
at the beginning:  "knucklebuster" hand clutch / variable speed. round tank, ford engine.

then later, in late 1953, the hercules came out, the true foot clutch with the modern hydraulically activated variable speed sheave on the mainshaft came out around the same time.

then the buda (allis) came out in mid 57 (at 14,053) . to the best of dad's knowledge, the diesel launched at the same time. he can verify a 1958 A with a factory diesel (traded in at a dealership he worked at). We are looking through a 58 Gleaner operators manual right now and it also lists the 262 diesel. 

towards the end, the smooth (pinched for backside ribs for strength, smooth on front)  metal reel bats came out. corrugated came out on either late A or A2.

dad had 59 A with Power steering and steering brakes, both of which are optional.

late A's went to newer Cessna (we believe) hydraulics, gear pump and spool valves, was a vane pump and poppet valves. vane pump was a vickers if dad remembers right.

we are flipping through a thought to be 1962 Model "C" book, and there is no diesel or cab option, it features the smooth bats, and doesnt even mention a LPG option either.

we just found an october of 62 book that verifys turbo diesel, wheras the previously mentioned operators manual doesnt acknowledge it, so we are 99 percent sure Oct. of 62 is when the C turbo diesel was launched.
(as a comparison, john deere had no turbodiesel combines till 1972 or 73 on the 7700 (we have consecutive I&T red books and jan of 1973 is the earliest we could find mention of turbo charged, but they dont list the Gleaner L as existing yet, so info may be lagging on their part)   in the launch the 7700 was turbo-less, so of course, Deere made a huge deal of it when they finally got it)

controls: major differences from early to late A, controls were very similar from late A to A2

Tire package, always just whatever options you ordered, no noted differences.

fuel tank: late A got oval, but not as wide as A2, so it is it's own deal.

Trevman is right on the ladders, changed from A to A2.

guage panel moved around, was up by steering for a bit, then under armrest.

A2 

reel lift is correct, optional only on A2.

the whole hind end is different on the A2. wider walkers and wider shoe, also, that would in turn give a wider fuel tank.

December of 64 or so was the launch of the variable speed cylinder, so some late late 64 got VS. dad thought 32,001 was the split.

the wider bin came out for A2, but surpisingly capacity only went up 5 bushels to 55, was 50. (If dad remembers right)

Stopler cab was definitely optional on the A2, as we have one. Its a 67 IIRC.

In conclusion, alot of the changes occured on the late A's.

Edited by GM Guy - 10 Jan 2013 at 5:01pm
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 8:23pm
Robert, could your Dad remember if A/C was an option on later A2s, just interested. Neither my Dads C2 or G had heat or A/C, but I believe both of those models could have had it. Cool information, thanks for posting it, Trev.
Horsepower View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 9:35pm
My 1967  C2 with an Excel Industries cab had a swamp cooler.  Don't know if it came that way or if it was an after market upgrade.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:45am
to my knowledge, A/c wasnt a factory option till the F's ang G's. we have a few Gs with it, never saw anything older with a/c. plenty of swamp coolers though, aftermarket installed.

come to think of it, cant say that I have seen any fiberglass cabbed f's with a/c , just a few G's, and it seemed much more common on the all steel cabs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic