[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtheise4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic ignition
    Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:12pm
I want to convert my '58 D14 to electronic ignition.  Does anyone have experience with this and can recommend a manufacturer?  Thanks.
1958 D14
Sponsored Links

Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:39pm
i've had great luck with pertronics in the forklifts i service at work install in a delco dist. in about 10 minutes only cost around 100. 2 wires and no modifications to dist.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:46pm
Ive converted quite a few.  I have them available.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 6:06am

All 3 of my d-14s are still using points and run fine so why change? 2 alternatored ,1 genny.

I have heard that the electronic ignitions unit will 'die' if tractor is jump started or other 'big sparks' occour. Hopefully others will respond to this.Best to read the install info and warranty before you buy one,just to be sure! I'd really hate to 'blow' $100.

hth
jay

'57 D-14,'59 D-14,'61 Gleaner A,another '57 D-14,'49 B, another '49 B,'51 8N

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 7:06am
i've personall never seen those issues. i.ve only seen 1 fail out of the ten or so i've sold and all the ones the other techs at work have put in. they work great zero maintanence and seem to let them start easier
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 8:43am
I put Pertronix #1142 with Pertronix coil #40511 in my D14, it's so easy.
Reason: you never have to adjust points or timing.
Bill B
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 9:58am
I have the Pertronix ignitors and flamethrower coils on both of my gas tractors. I've never had one little bit of trouble out of either one. I opened the plug gaps to .045 and both tractors start better and run smoother than they ever did with points.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. Frederic Bastiat
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 10:07am
Pertronix is the way to go imho. Ive converted 9 so far,no issues. Start better, run better, more power. I open spark gap to .35, seems to work very good. Trev.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 12:32pm
Well worth the cost. Eliminates points, condenser and ballast resistor which are all components that can cause problems and you get a hotter spark as a bonus. Essentially install it, set the timing and forget it except to lube the distributor shaft now and then. I got a Petronix kit from Tony's Tractors. I did not change the coil at first as it seemed to test within the proper resistance rating but I found that my coil would gradually heat up and the engine would start to misfire. A new coil solved the problem. My engine needs a rebuild and the plugs would occasionally foul on two cylinders. The hotter spark has minimized that problem and I can delay the rebuild for a while.
Jack of all trades, master of none
jtheise4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtheise4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:45am
I finally got around to installing a Pertronix on my D14.  When you installed yours, did the magnet sit proud of the hall effect sensor by about 1/8" to 1/4"?  The magnet is sitting so high, that the dust cap won't sit flush on the distributor.  Did you have to enlarge the hole on the dust cap?  Thanks.
1958 D14
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm
Converted my WD a couple weeks ago, that makes 11 Ive done. Sometimes the magnet ring fits extremely tight on the shaft. Have to take some emery and work the shaft a little and the inside of the magnet ring, a little lube and it will go on and fit down right to the bottom of the shaft. Should not sit up as you described. They are an excellent upgrade to any gas machine in my opinion. You will have to play with timing a little, and set your plugs to 35 gap or a little more, good luck, Trev.
josh in nc View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh in nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 10:24pm
I just fixed my b with pertronix last week and the hall ring did sit high and was hard to press down so i used the rotor to push it then snugged it with my hand the rest of the way. 
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 11:27pm
Another vote for the Pertronix Ignitor here.  I've got one in my '57 D17, and have used them in a myriad of other machines... including a '54 Century Resorter with a Prestolite marine distributor on a '61 Chevy fuel-injected 283...Tongue
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 12:31am
I had a problem with misfiring at higher RPM on an H3 due to a sloppy distributor shaft. I installed the Pertronix kit and there was no more misfiring even though the dist. shaft was still sloppy. Well worth the $100.00
Currently- WD,WC,4WF's,D14,816 LBH. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 6:28am
We sell quite a few Pertronix units. Very seldom folks have problems with them. Usually, the folks that are unsure about purchasing one for their Tractor, and finally do, they're back to purchase a couple more for the their other Tractors as well after they see how well they work. LOL!  One of the things I hear from the customer after the purchase and install is: "that Tractor never started that fast since I owned it!"  They do work quite well. "Alice" my B sat outside all this Winter. Pulled the tarp off of her, stuck her charged up 6V Battery in her and she fired right off and ran like I had it running the day before. She's equipped with an E.I. also. No muss, no fuss...
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 8:01am
I thought the pertronix needed 12 volts? I've been thinking of buying them for my wd and CA. The CA is still six volt.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 8:18am
Maybe then if I put one on my D-10, it would start before I touched the key.  :>)

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:53am
Can be had in 6 or 12, positive or negative ground, phone Steve, Trev.
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 3:59pm
on all my 45,s i had to enlarge the disc on the dist.jim danforth,mounds oklahoma has everything you need and is a great gentleman to deal with....
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm
Thanks for the referral JW. Yes, we have them available. I am not a huge fan of the 6v electronic systems. If the battery is a little weak (and mine seem to always be) the ignition will not fire off. 12V has a wider window of operation and seems a little more reliable. I have seen a couple of the 12V Positive grounds burn out when jump starting too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic