[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plug covered in oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plug covered in oil
    Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 3:11am
..... went to change the plugs on the d14 and one was covered in oil.... reason??
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:41am
Not firing, Bad rings.  Could be a bad plug wire, a bad plug, stuck valve and maybe wrong firing order.  Is the firing order correct?  You should have 2 fouled plugs though if this were the problem.  Get another plug and try that.  Then try a new wire.  Or do both if you want.  How long does it take to foul it out?  When was the last time you changed the plugs?  The wires?  How good is your spark?  Could be weak points and this plug is the first to foul?
TOO MANY unanswered questions to positively help you.
"Allis-Express"
19??-WC / 1941-C / 1956-WD45 / 1957-WD45
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:17am
Bad rings, valve guide gone or a valve not seating good can all do it. My CA sat for 10 years and then another 10 years after only being run a few hours. It fouled a couple plugs in less than 4 hours mowing time. I put  a one set hotter plug in and ran the whole mowing season without cleaning a plug. I believe the rings were stuck and not working and freed up with heavier use and some Sea Foam.
 I wouldn't want to guess what your problem is without knowing some history of the tractor.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:39am
.it Sat for a long time I bought it bought it home ran good... thenthe other day it took forever to start and ran rough and backfiring... plugs look old very rusty pulled them out..3 are real black and one.was wet with black oil

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:55am
Champion plugs? They tend to not clean up when the engine is running right. Only new plugs like AC survive well these days.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:03am
Originally posted by mike 44 mike 44 wrote:

.it Sat for a long time I bought it bought it home ran good... thenthe other day it took forever to start and ran rough and backfiring... plugs look old very rusty pulled them out..3 are real black and one.was wet with black oil

With that info, here is what I would do. Replace the plugs with Autolite 295 or equivalent. Do a complete tune up with wires, points and condenser. Make sure the gas tank is clean and sediment bowl is working with a good screen. Fill it up with good gas and add a can of Sea Foam. No go out and make it work. You don't have to plow with it, just work it somehow. Might take a couple tanks with sea foam to loosen things up. If it keeps fouling plugs check compression and determine if your plug cleaning time and oil consumption warrants a complete OH of the engine. JMO
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:21am
..ok thanks that sounds better than having to do an over haul now
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:22am
Even being that one plug had.oil blowing by it and was.covered in oil?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:06am
I would change one thing at a time.  All of us have seen a NEW set of points, a NEW condenser, New plugs wires, etc. that are BAD RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.  Take your time. Change one thing, make sure it starts and runs and then change the next thing.  You can change ALL of the plug wires in one setting, just make sure you do ONE AT A TIME.  If it misses, you can pull them one at a time to see which one and then replace that one.
When you do them all at once and one of them is bad, you have to do a lot of extra work to see which one is the culprit.  Do em one at a time.
"Allis-Express"
19??-WC / 1941-C / 1956-WD45 / 1957-WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 11:51am
Originally posted by mike 44 mike 44 wrote:

Even being that one plug had.oil blowing by it and was.covered in oil?

A quick cheap check would also be to pull the rocker cover and do a quick check of clearances. If you have no clearance in one valve, you could be sucking oil down thru worn guides. i guess a bore scope might be handy too in case a valve has a lot of carbon build up but, working it with Sea Foam in the gas will help clean this up as long as the valve has enough clearance to close and it seats OK.
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 12:50pm
Thanks for the help I thought motor was shot with oil like that thanks again

Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 1:55pm
Mike, do a compression check.  If one cylinder is much different than the others, you know where to look.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 2:35pm
I picked up a D15 SFW earlier this year as the price was right and I only wanted the SFW assembly. Thought I might have a decent 149 engine to rebuild for my stuck CA. Ran a liitle rough and had some smoke, the oil filter actually was rusted on the outside and the ol' boy I purchased it from had not used it much the last three years. With nothing to lose, dropped the old oil/filter and Seafoam'd her in both the engine and the fresh gas I put in her after servicing the sediment bowl. Put her on a 6' brush hog and worked her hard for a couple hours. Dropped the oil and replaced same with a new filter. No tune up parts as yet and she is running well so maybe I had a ring sticking.
I treat everything I pick up with Seafoam, but do not leave it in more than two hours.
New oil changes all get 1/2 to one cup Marvel Mystery Oil.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 5:00pm
Agree with Tim.  Sea Foam the gas and oil and run her a few hours.  You can also use ATF in the oil with like results if it's a sticking valve or ring. 
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 4:32pm
Sea fomed it today ran better only back fired once.... losing antifreeze though.... lot of white smoke at times... oil seems antifreeze free
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 5:16pm
Well that's not good with it burning oil and antifreeze.  Sounds like a bad head gasket also.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 7:06pm
......yea I know not good
CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 9:01pm
nevetheless as advocated above just running them for a short time with lots of lubricant allows a lot of machines (not just engines) to sort of "self-cure".  at least partially. then it's easier to see what really requires fixing.
good luck & don't be in a hurry.
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic