[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silage Cutters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shattercane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silage Cutters
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:09pm
 I have the opportunity to purchase three complete AC (single row) Silage Cutters. Does anyone know their value or reliability? I was thinking I could buy three and pick one and sell two, but the wife has put the foot down on the "junk" purchasing so I am finding myself in quite the quandary; however, if I can prove it to be a profitable venture I think she will buy in. Does anyone know if there is a market for the silage cutters/choppers? Also, would the WD-45 be sufficient for pulling one or would I need to buy another tractor too?
Thanks in advance!
29 L Case, 37 CC Case,40 A-C allcrop 40, 43 B Allis Chalmers, 50 DC Case, 54 WD-45 WF
Sponsored Links

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:33pm
Do they look like this one?
I drug one like this around with a WD45D  as a kid in SD. We had 3 of them at one time, they were a pita...sickle drive problems, plugging problems.....don't even try to chop when it is windy as most of it will blow away.  AC offered a retro-fit kit for an extra roller to help with the plugging problems...we had one that had the extra roller. Still remember "walking the plank" waaay too much....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year: 185D, last one made in 1973, 1954 WD45
shattercane View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shattercane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:48pm
With all three complete and the total price at 500.00 do you think it would be a decent purchase? Keep in mind these have probably been outside for 30ish years
29 L Case, 37 CC Case,40 A-C allcrop 40, 43 B Allis Chalmers, 50 DC Case, 54 WD-45 WF
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:53pm
If they are all complete, you can probably get your money back out of the deal selling the other two, but keep in mind, it's only us collectors, that are really buying them any more.  Don't expect to make any additional money.
Still on the farm:
720, WC, WD, WD45, WD45D, D14, 3-D17, D17LP, D19D, D19LP, 190XT, D21, 220, 7020, 7030, 7045, 3-7060, N7
Working on, or waiting to be: U, UC, G, B, C, WC, WD-LP, WF, D-17D, D21, 210
shattercane View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shattercane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:03pm
Forgot to mention that all three look very similar to the one in the Craigslist ad....that one is in a little bit better shape than the ones I have the option to buy, but I have a lot more additions from Pack-Rats to offer. :)
EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:13am
I never was around these at all. What runs off the the sprocket on the right wheel? Seems to me ground speed on a forage harvester would be way to slow for anything
You can drink an ugly woman pretty, but you can't drink a fat one skinny
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by EricPA EricPA wrote:

I never was around these at all. What runs off the the sprocket on the right wheel? Seems to me ground speed on a forage harvester would be way to slow for anything
There is a direct-cut grass head with a reel that is driven off of the wheel.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
D-allis Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-allis Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:49am
This chopper was for sale by my neighbor on Craigs List and this site both last winter and all spring. There was no interest what so ever in the chopper. He finally gave it to me, as he knows my orange will never go to China as long as I am alive. The chopper is in good condition. I wish I had a closer pic of it. He had 2 silage blowers with no interest, that he also gave to me. I am not sure if this is the case in other parts of the country, or not.

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:03am
Videos

Allis Forage Harvester with Corn Head attachment:

and with Grass Cutting attachment:

There are actually sicle / mower knives on this head so it cuts standing hay etc.

Gary
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:17am
I have a gearbox and power unit engine mounts if anyone would like to convert one to self-powered.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 6:11pm
Well it is a honor to have some of my videos used as examples.  The first video is my WD45 but a friend's chopper.  The second is our machine with the windrow pickup on it.  We used that machine for 35 years before we replaced it with a 770 New Holland.  We used to dry chop all of our hay and blow it up in the barn.  These choppers had an amazing capacity and did a decent job.  They were touchy with feeding on the corn heads, there were some adjustments on the wheels that could change the height of the machine so it would sit at different angle, this can help the feeding.  I know some people have complaints but take my word we used a 707 New Holland for corn for a few years, the A-C was a dream compared to that plugging POS.  Ive seen them sell for $200-$1000.

Eldon, that engine drive is a rare attachment, you dont see too many of them at all.

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic