This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pulling 426 twin turbos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ralph cooley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph cooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pulling 426 twin turbos
    Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 1:59pm
has or does anyone know of the twin turbo option allis offered on 7000 series for tractor pulling
Sponsored Links

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:33pm
Just like BigFoot! It's a myth!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph cooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:35pm
found the post on fullpull.com
richfarmsystem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richfarmsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:46pm
I saw bigfoot in grade school...crushing cars in mendota

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 3:15pm
No its for real, i have a NTPA magizine that has Noble Harrison going to Harvey Engine Works picking up a 426 with twins ,AC engineers actually set it up they put it in a 220 in early 70 ; but i believe AC quit shortly after that , product libility laws etc

Edited by DougG - 12 Nov 2012 at 3:16pm
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 3:33pm
I spoke with a guy once who pulled a D21 back in the 70's and said AC was supplying him with tranny gears, etc.  Sounds like pulling in the 70's was a lot like NASCAR in the 70's.  Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
AaronSEIA
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 4:24pm
AC may have been working with some pullers, but twin/compound turbos weren't considered an "option".
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
allis 7045 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis 7045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 4:28pm
i seen a 200 with twin turbos. im buy a xt190 and setting up there custom with and aftermarket intercooler to provide sufficent needs for the twin turbos
ac 170, 2 ac 6080's, ac 7045,gleaner k, gleaner l2. all going strong
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 4:39pm
Bob Raycrafts D-21, Mama's Throughbred was twin turbo'd, he had many wins withb that puller. He had spent alot of time out in the Allis plant with the appropriate people to get the info he needed to build pullers.
Cal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 4:51pm
Wow Chris Theres a name from the past Bob Raycraft. I went up to his place in NY in the early 80s to pick up a 917 in the crate that we had sold, he was working on the D21 then and stopped to talk to me areal nice guy. He let me look through his AC junkyard outback. As luck would have it I broke the welded up frontend on my  D17 aweek later and he sold me one of a tractor. Thanks Chris. Cal in Ct
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph cooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 5:04pm
he olny lived 20 minutes from me. he was very helpfull with my 220 . but his time cane to a tragic loss . i always think of him when i look out my window and see my pair of 220. i realy would like to get any pictures ect that any one has of the twin turbos .
near the end of bobs pulling he ran tripple toubos and flitred with 4 turbos.
long rest my old friend !!
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:28pm
Ralph, You have corrected me, It was tripple turbo'd. I miss him to, we use to talk in the evening's all the time. I have 1 nice 8.5 X 11 color photo he sent me of him pulling, I have posted it here before. I'm sure he's keepin' eye on us AC guy's. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph cooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:51pm
chris hope you survied sandy . alot of are local fire men are rotating 72 hour shifts to nassau county .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 8:17pm
I know in the early to mid-70's all the A-C Pulling Parts had to be purchased thru (Noble)Harrison Equipment in Pittsfield, Illinois who was an AC dealer at the time. The parts were made by A-C but sold to Noble to be retailed to pullers. They had injector tips with odd part numbers on them and fast 3rd gears for the 180's and 190's, etc. Noble built the cogged belt injection pump drives I believe, to mount the big "P" series Bosch pump on the AC engines. As far as I'm concerned, he is the Father of staged turbochargers on diesel pulling tractors. As far as a Kit for twin-chargers, I'd say they came from Harrison himself as there's quite a bit of plumbing that goes with the turbos to stage them.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:14am
My Dad pulled a Two-Twenty the summer of 1972.  It was from his (and my uncle's) AC dealership.  They were always experimenting with different set-ups.  Towards the end of the summer they were using two turbos.  If my memory serves me correctly, they had an 8" Air Research turbo blowing into a 3" Air Research turbo.  Sounds strange, I know.

I also remember they had a stainless steel box in the air intake system that was filled with dry ice to cool the air prior to going into the intake, etc.  Again, sounds strange, I know.

I'm not aware they got any parts from Noble Harrison in Pittsfield but it's possible.  Many parts came from Harvey, IL.  I also remember them going to the south side of Chicago to get turbos from the Mack truck parts depot.

I've got to find some old pictures...
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 2:30pm
Noble Harrison (H&R) and Ed Elgin a retired AC service rep - (huge hands - anyone who shook hands with him will remember him )  set up a lot of pulling tractors around 1970-72.  AC DID give him some Dyno time and help.  I am sure Terry Wood was there at this time.  AC did not sell kits although they DID dyno many engines with twin turbos as a way of determinine accelerated breakdown testing.  Running the engines at 110%  + load for a  time gave the same results as 80% load for half the dyno time.  I did see a twin turbo engine on the dock at West Allis that was to be installed and headed for the proving grounds. (a lot of test tractors used 555 cummins held over from the 440's for testing as Harvey's engines were charged out to the tractor division  a very high dollars- one down fall of AC - the engine division didn't play well with others in AC)  After a year there was an incompetent puller who could never get his unit to run (harrisons belt drive - he ran 180 out of time )  so therefore he accused AC of giving the winners the best parts and not him.  Word came down - no more corporate pulling help. That was the end.  Interestingly it was smoke reduction efforts on engines in bull dozers used in the military that led to Harrisons "light bulb coming on" when he saw the 2 stage pressure sysytem on a dyno at Harvey while picking up some 'parts'.  Edgar Paschall purchased
a spare 'floating head roosa' , cheater turbo (TO6)  , fuel pump belt drive system, 426 intercooler and adaptor plate for a 301 , dual disc clutch and special tips that came in a AC parts box labeled 'exp' on the box I inherited and passed on to other pullers , so I saw these things first hand.   
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:48pm
I was waiting for you to say something Tim.

Thanks for sharing. Thumbs Up
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph cooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 5:25am
All you guys help has been great would like to see any pictures you have.
thanks ralph
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:18am
We worked only on Rosa Master fuel injection pumps.
Dad never sold twin-stage turbo setups but consulted with and sold to nearly every AC puller in the US and Canada  beginning around 1970. On the twin-stage setup air came through a large Switzer turbo, went through an air-to-air intercooler mounted in front of the radiator and back into an AirResearch turbo and then into the intake manifold.
-Noble D. Harrison II ("N.D.")
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:12am
Actually I mis-spoke in my previous posting. While I worked with Dad, through college, I worked only on Roosa Master fuel injection pumps. Dad and Ed may have set up AC tractors with Bosch pumps after 1972, I'm really not sure. - N.D. Harrison
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:34am
N.D.,
Nice to see that you have joined the AC Forum.  Welcome!

I'll look for some pictures from 1972 but they may be hard to find.
Brian F(IL)
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:12am
N.D.,  
Like Brian said, It's great to have you on the AC forum. 
Stoney (MO.)
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:21am
I really like reading the posts from that era of pulling. Local A-C hot dog was Bob Williams from Groveport who pulled the Double Trouble D-21. We would find out where he was pulling and traveled a bit to watch him win(usually) I am pretty sure that same tractor was later purchased and pulled by Max Simpson?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:45pm
There were in-line Bosch "P" pumps in the 70's. They had a cogged belt drive on them that moved the injection pump out over the right side frame. I was always told it was a Harrison set-up.
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 10:03pm
Yes the belt drives where Noble's settup. Heck there is one still pulling in Minnesota on the NTPA state circuit! The old style 426 blocks didn't have enough room for the P pump without moving it away from the block.
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:33pm
I am Noble Harrison's son and worked in my Dad's AC dealership in Pittsfield, Illinois until I graduated from college in 1973 and set up my CPA practice.
Dad sold his AC dealership in 1974. He and Ed Elgin (an AC service rep who lived in Louisiana, MO (20 miles from Pittsfield)) continued working on AC pulling tractors in a garage behind Dad's house until (I'm guessing) around 1982.
After thinking some more and talking to Benny McKinnon, a long-time puller from Pleasant Hill, Illinois, I can add something to the conversations about AC pulling in that era.
Around 1973 Dad and Ed began switching their focus from Roosa Master pumps to Bosch pumps. They designed and built a box to move Bosch pumps away from the engine block. The pumps were cog belt driven.
They also designed and set up twin turbo systems and they sold these to many AC pullers. They used AirResearch turbos, the small one was an "8" and the large one a "90" (according to McKinnon). They also set up triple turboed systems where there was no "Y" - the air was pressurized 3 times. They also sold this to AC pullers. They did one 4 turbo set up but there was a "Y", so this was also a triple pressurized setup. McKinnon thinks a local machine shop prepared tubing for the multiple staged turbo setups. The shop is out of business, but I know the owner and I'll try to find out in the next few days about the tubing and intercooling.
-N.D. Harrison, Pittsfield, Illinois
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 5:03am
Thanks for the info and stories , ND , who bought your Dads dealership ? Wasn't that one of the biggest in the US ? I bet they had a blast designing / building that stuff for the pulling machines
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 9:58am
I'll do a quick reply to my Dad's dealership and finish tonight on info related to setting up AC pulling tractors.
Noble Harrison was born in 1918 in Bethel, MO. After finishing high school he went to work in his uncle (Walter Harrison's) dealership "Harrison Motor Company" in Hannibal, MO (35 miles from Pittsfield, IL). I believe they sold Hudson autos at the time.
Walter Harrison financed Dad to set up a dealership. He sold Hudson auto (and I believe Indian motorcycles) for a time. (It was hard to get product to sell right after WWII.)
Walter Harrison switched to Minneapolis Moline farm equipment for a few years. Around 1950 Walter switched to Allis-Chalmers and Dad switched about the same time. In the mid-1950's Dad was one of the largest AC dealers in the US and AC funded a large extravaganza with well-known country singers, dinner, dance, AC corporate executives, etc.
Dad got interested in tractor pulling around 1966. We went to a tractor pull in (I believe) Keokuk IA with Gus Long, his chief mechanic. We played around with souping up a tractor or two and Dad decided to try to get help from AC's engine works in Harvey, IL.
Dad got to know the engineers there and they provided 3 pulling "kits" for D-21s. I drove a tractor with 1 kit, Herb McKinnon got 1 kit and Doug Cox (AC dealer in Pleasant Hill) got 1 kit. That was around 1968.
Then AC decided to build a super engine, the one I described in this forum earlier, with 2 turbos (Switzer and AirResearch),  an air-to-air intercooler and a limited production fuel injecton pump.
I'll finish later, possible tonight.
worldchamp19 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worldchamp19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:54pm
Very interesting story and I want to hear more. I want to say that I remember Benny McKinnon and I his brother pulling D-21's and the famous Old Faithful, when Old Faithful came to a pull everyone else was pulling for second place.
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:03pm
I'll tell a little more about Noble Harrison's (my Dad) involvement with tractor pulling.
The AC 220 with twin turbos was the first pulling tractor anywhere with twin turbos where the air was pressurized twice.
After pulling the 220 for a couple of years, Dad talked AC into setting up a torque converter for the tractor. AC was very experienced with torque converters as they had a lot of experience manufacturing bulldozers.
AC shipped a torque converter to us in 1971(?). The torque converter was delivered to us in a housing that replaced the housing around the clutch area. There was no clutch. To put the tractor into gear I would step on the clutch pedal. But instead of going to a clutch, the clutch pedal was connected to a brake on the rear of the torque converter. The brake stopped the rear of the torque converter and allowed the gears to be shifted.
The first torque converter they shipped us was a 16". We tried it out around the shop and learned it was a poor match for the engine. No matter how gradually we moved the throttle, the engine wouldn't gain many RPMs before it would choke out with fuel. That torque converter was just too big for the engine. So AC replaced the 16" torque converter with a 14". That was small enough to allow us to get RPMs.
The torque converter housing was 6"' or 8" longer than the standard clutch housing. After the sanctioning bodies realized that we had lengthened the wheelbase, they made us pull in the hot rod class. But the hot rods were too strong for us to compete against.
I remember well the 1st time I pulled the tractor with the torque converter. It was at a pull at Bowling Green Missouri. I got to the line to pull, tightened the chain and waited for the flagman to wave me down the track. When I got the green flag I began giving the engine more and more throttle - very gradually to keep the engine from bogging down with fuel. It took probably 20 or 30 seconds before I started to move the sled. As the engine was gaining RPMs the people nearby who knew anything about mechanics thought I was slipping the clutch. After about 10 seconds of gradually increasing the RPMs people began moving back and they were desperately scrambling away by the time the sled actually moved. I'm sure they thought the clutch was going to explode the way they thought I was abusing it. I did a full pull and the operator on the mechanical sled said that was the smoothest pull he had ever experienced.
I'll post more about the more traditional things we did in a few days.
-N.D. Harrison
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic