Unofficial Allis Homepage
[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bush Hog vs King Cutter Mower - Worth the Price?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisUpstate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bush Hog vs King Cutter Mower - Worth the Price?
    Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 3:21pm
I have had great luck over the years with my older 5ft Bush Hog, but am looking for a 6 footer to replace it for the D17.  It will be doing basic field mowing - no small trees or anything!  Anyway the Bush Hog SQ172 6 footer is $2,200 at the local dealer, while a King Cutter 6 footer with a 40 hp gearbox at TSC is $1,100.   Are the new Bush Hogs really worth 2X as much as the other machines of similar capacity? 
Sponsored Links

ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 4:55pm
well the BUSH-HOG will ware out 3 of the cheeper ones so in the long run i think the BUSH-HOG would be cheeper ,if you are going to use it on a D17 i would get a 7ft that is what we pulled with ours and it worked great.----- i have a KK finish mower it is my 2nd one i got 10yrs out of the 1st one i like them but i am mowing a 4ac yard with it, on the other hand when i do need parts most of the time i have to order them from the factory.

Edited by ctbowles58 - 10 Nov 2012 at 8:58am
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 5:29pm
With a 40 hp gear box your 17 could tear up the cheap one.
D17 Series III,HD16,917H,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 6:18pm
I ran a LandPride 6 footer with a 40hp gearbox for commercial cutting behind my 175D and never had any problems. The LandPride always served me well for a light duty mower....still have one in Kubota Orange  sitting here with about 6 hours on it.  I got an 8' shortly after I bought it new and now I can't stand to mow with a 6 foot LOL!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year: 185D, last one made in 1973, 1954 WD45, 1963 MM M5 #4963 of 5157
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 6:23pm
Try to find an authorized KK dealer, they do exist. TSC sells the cheapest version of KK's to maximize profits.
A 6 ft KK is available with a 60hp gear box. Depending on your location(because of shipping) it will run you $1300 +/-. The authorized dealer is important for warrenty claims, genuine parts, and overall friendly service. TSC will just tell you "good luck" regarding the above mentioned. The KK"s are built in Alabama, with structural steel decks, but i will concede the gearbox and driveshafts are imported, but do carry a warrenty.
A Bush Hog is the Cadilac (in my opinion) of mowers. They are only available at authorized dealers. Built in Alabama also, the SQ-172 has a stamped deck, and also has imported gearbox and driveline, with about the same warrenty.
With proper care, either one will give you good service. Don't let the fact that  the KK is cheaper, make you feel the entire mower is built the same way. Both are built like brick outhouses, and can take quite a beating, but that doesn't mean becoming irresponsible.
My family was an authorized Bush Hog dealer for more than 50 years, and an authorized KK dealer for more than 30 years. We sold both at the same time. I have meet many people with your same questions. I will stand behind either one.

Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 6:50pm
  CHECK THE WEIGHT  DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO  WILL TELL YOU SOMETHING
  COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 6:58am
Bushhog also makes cheap hogs. I have a bushhog  squealer 5' that's not any better than a tsc special. This post made me wonder if SQ was the same as a squealer.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 7:17am
I have a Bush Hog 11ft finishing mower that came off a golf course and has many hrs. on it. I know you are talking rough cut but as for the brand they are well made and parts are always available in a day or two. mine has three decks and folds up -- 9 blades grease fittings on everything that moves or pivits. I am very satisfyed with it!!
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:02am
I use a 6' KK brush hog behind my D14 for weeds, small brush, and cat tails. No issues with it. Think the previous advice about a 7' one is right on for your D17 as one must wind up the engine to get the PTO speed right for the mower. Would also recommend getting the slip clutch for the mower gear box.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.
Currently have: 2CAs,2D14s,1D15SII,1 C.
With new owners: 2Bs,8CAs,1WD,2 D12s,2D14s,2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:43am
Whatever you run, consider the width of the cutter to cover your tractor tire tread. I have an old A-C 5' that was used behind a D15II to clear pastures initially. Did not care about overlap as simply staggered the tread by reversing the cut path on each pass. Taking down trees up to 2-1/2" was not a problem and admit I did some even bigger as the gear box is pretty big on the A-C and blades are hell for stout. Kept it rapped up on the rpms and got the job done. Found a good deal on a SQ72 and jumped on it for 700.00 after being told the tractor for sale with it (JD) had been bought new as a package and the tractor had 200 hours on it. Beat some hard dimples on the outside of the cutter back in and just figured the fella ran it in rough terrain. After sitting in a barn for what I was told was about 5 years, I bit the bullet on a big socket set as the blades did not swing freely and it sure vibrated my D15II far more than the 5' cutter. Loosened them up and ran them that way while keeping an eye on them and still had the vibration.
Tried a SFW D15I on it that I picked up and thought it would tear the tractor apart due to the vibration. Blocked her up and found someone had welded up the oblong "stump jumper" plate. Cleaned up the welds, sharpened the blades slightly and she acted much better but a new stump jumper and blades are definately in order. As the 6' is just slightly outside my non oem wheels on my cutting D15II, I now do the fence rows to get close and put the A-C 5' back on to finish the pasture cutting. The A-C has the ratcheting slip clutch and comments about running some type of override are very valid.
A-C runs smooth as silk and no issues when you want to stop the forward motion of the tractor quickly. Gets a bit boring staggering the cut with the 5' but you don't want the tractor overworked either. Keep the tip speed up on the cutter and if your tractor can't handle it, you will break something, or get yourself hurt. Also will be putting a heavy duty override on the Bush Hog 6' unit and this requires shortening the pto shaft sufficiantly so as not to bind the cutter when raised during running. Anyone that thinks you are safe to run without an override or slip clutch while using a D-Series, thinking you can stop safely by using the PD is dead wrong and asking for trouble. That 6' footer will push the D15 bad, even if you release the main clutch quickly.
Oh yeah, keep all gaurds in place as they were installed for a reason.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 10:15am
Well I ain't dead and I run about 300 hours a year with with my 175D without an over-running clutch (a slip clutch is not the same, it replaces the shear bolt). The 170/175 is set up the same as the D series as far as how the pto operates.  I alway put the pd in neutral before using the foot clutch....guess it is a habit from running the old WD45 diesels 45 years ago. In fact, my 175 doesn't even have a hole thru the pto shaft to mount an over-running clutch!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year: 185D, last one made in 1973, 1954 WD45, 1963 MM M5 #4963 of 5157
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic