[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revitalizing Small Towns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revitalizing Small Towns
    Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 10:42am
Not sure if any of you follow my blog, but recently I have been trying to spearhead a campaign to revitalize our small town. It used to be a bustling little community, but times have changed and we never really changed with it. We really have nothing to offer for shopping, industry or for people to visit us. We need to get tourism. I think we have a lot of potential, but we just don't have the right people doing running things. Our mayor is a few quarts short of full. He has been mayor for 11 years and has nothing to show for it. He seems to think that building a new funeral home and a chain store in town will bring people in. If there is no one coming in to our town to begin with, how can a chainstore make it? I am just wondering if any of you have any experience or ideas to help breathe new life into a small farming community.

Edited by Austin(WI) - 08 Oct 2012 at 10:48am
"Better By Design"
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 10:57am
Austin, I agree a chain store, especially something like WallMart wouldn't be a postive influence for a small town.  Maybe a Dollar Store ore something like that.  It kind of depends on how far away other bigger shopping opportunities are.  As for a funeral home, I hear people are dieing to get into them! lol  Don't know how much one would add to the economy tho. 
There is a small town in southern Colorado, Fowler, (fowlercolorado.com) that has been very progressive and seems to be coming back because of good leadership and forward thinking.  It's easier for you to just go to the website then for me to try to describe it.  It seems like the towns that make it are the ones with positive leadership and a population willing to work to make it a better place. 
I wish you luck, "Mr. Mayor" to be!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 11:01am
Well, funny you say a dollar store, because that is one thing that could be possibly coming in. I don't think it is a bad idea for it, but to think that will fix our problems is ludicrous. I am trying all that I can, but meeting some resistence. Some of the older members of our town just hate the idea of change, eventhough this would be for the better.
"Better By Design"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 11:29am
My wife and I try to run the backroads for vacations, just not much to see on the interstate highways and so many sights I remember from times passed that still hold in those small towns of the US highways.  So sorry to see the closed up store fronts in so many of them.

Without some sort of fast mover items store, most stores can't make it.  Our old place farm in S Central MO had a car dealer they had a grocer and a MFA but for the most part farms, logging and the stave mill were all that supported the town for major taxes, cash flow was slow so too the rehabilitation of town.  In the 60's/70's and 80's the influx of canoe trippers made a good summer inflow of cash but winter would shut most everything down.  Clothing stores, camp gear and specialty shops would spring up every year but dry up the next winter and not reopen or be sold to the next purveyor that wanted a try.

Gotta be careful and in these tight dollar days extremely cautious as to how much one drops down that well that may take years to recover.  It is that thought that holds back many a small town.
Lars(wisc) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wisc) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 11:53am
Austin, I hear ya. I live about 2 miles outside of a town that 15-20yrs ago had a Dorsey Trailer mfg. plant, DANA Mfg., A local Shoe mfg., 3 car dealerships etc. Now all are gone. Only one 'local bank', all the others are 'big banks'.
The city council damn near craps a brick whenever any party inquires about using any of the now empty mfg. facilites, every excuse is given; the roads won't hold up to truck traffic, too much noise, wrong type of business,  must pay 'living wage', on and on.
Wal-Mart is not alway's a 'death nail' to a small town, I lived in one, since Wally World moved in, the town has done good, both existing hardware stores have expanded and do a robust business. A Wal-Mart will do one thing for sure and that is draw people into the town to shop.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:15pm
You might want to run down and chat with the folks in Shullsburg, WI.  They have really turned that little town around. 
2 D14's, WD45, 5020, Big 10, 612H.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:40pm
Well, the thing is we are off the beaten path, which means we need to do something to bring people our way. There is a HUGE amish community West of our town. Lots of people go their to check it out, but when someone tries to incorporate that in with the city, people get mad because they hate the amish community. 
"Better By Design"
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:45pm
Austin, where abouts is this town you live in?

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:56pm
Same for our town (1800 ppl.). Been trying for 12 years now to help turn things around. We were once a strong railroad hub years back and have been in decline since then.
Almost all industry has gone South, but we do every thing we can to keep what we have.

Establishing a HUBzone or Enterprise Zone helps, but you need progressive local officials to make it all work. Also High Speed Internet is a must!

Know this, you are in competition with every other small town around for the same dollars. Small town USA is going by the wayside...
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 2:18pm
your mayor....must be friends with the mayor i keep *issing off! they both can ruin a town in no time!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 3:27pm
Biggest plus for any small town USA that is not wihin a short(<50) mile drive to a major metro is conveniences, gas stop, small store that rotates stock often, small local bars/specialty restaurants that do take in the local flavors to draw the local crowd.  Business to employ at least 1/4 of the population beyond the service sector such as agro products, health care supplies, car or mechanics shop/parts.  Beyond that if you do not have a antiques draw for the area or as in central MO: wine country, then you need some sort of manufacturer or a distribution center, something to spur tax base to help provide daily services as water and trash, roads repairs, etc.

I have a lot of friends that look for increased interest in their communities, ask them how much they use or used the local shops and many said was cheaper to go to big town or off the 'net', they do not see the big picture of killing their own community by buying away, just cheaper. 

I use a small local produce shop in our little community, have had so many ask why I would buy that "stuff", it's dirty, came from a small garden and smells/looks funny, I just clam up and walk by, they have no clue.  I use the local hardware, screw Lowes, I can spend $30 more for a load of decent project lumber or pay a few dollars more for keeping my neighbors working.
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 6:27pm
After you win the election for Mayor. You need to launch an aggressive promotion and marketing program for your town. Everybody in the world needs to know why your town is the place see, visit, have dinner, shop and just how much fun it is to live there.
And sonner or later they will believe you. 
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:12pm
Austin a "chain store" is not a bad idea at all, if chain store is a dollar store.  Sure made a big difference in our little town. Instead of local country folks driving to walmart in vidalia, many of them and others "just passing thru"  now keep the dollar store busy as well as quickie mart gas and little cafe too.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 8:22pm
Austin on another thread I was telling JimD in Oklahoma about the Amish at Shishewana, Indiana, which is a huge settlement. It is very active, and a tourist area year around! There is Amish stores that cater to the local trade plus stores that sell all kinds of Amish made crafts from furniture to quilts to foods to who knows what all! It would be worth a trip for you and maybe a small group to visit and get ideas, plus you would definitely get to eat darned good Amiish cooking! There are motels and plenty of restaraunts there. I think spring and fall they have a huge horse auction with horses coming from Ohio, Pa, In. and at least Michigan. They do have a town webpage the I forgot to tell Jim about, but I don't know what it is. Do a search, and I'm sure you guys can learn more!  Good Luck !!!!!
p.s. It's hard to see it all in a day!!!!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
geezer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 4:29am
Shipshewanna In. is about 30 miles west of me, on tues and weds of any given week you cant hadly get around due to traffiic and people, in the summer they bus people in from Chicago and big cities, they have a web site, also check out New Berlin Ohio, another Amish Community, also Kidoring Ohio, these communities are small but sure bring in huge amounts of people and trade. Ive not seen a Walmart or Sams club, or any big box stores in these towns just huge numbers of people and commerce. If you want good food try the BlueGate Resturant in downtown Shipshe, try it family style  you wont forget it, also Das Esanance House in neigboring Middlebury.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 11:23am
Well, all I know is that sitting back doing nothing for town is the wrong thing. Our mayor has been in for 11 years and really has nothing to show for it.
"Better By Design"
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 11:31am
Geezer, it's Kidron in Ohio, in Wayne Country along with Mt Hope and a few other towns in Homes county.  Kidron has a livestock auction each week, along with a great hardware store, Lehmans, which has anything you need and lots of stuff you didn't know you needed.  Don't ask why I know that!
Austin, interesting post, I hope more people have comments and ideas.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 11:41am

I hope so too. I am trying my hardest to get the community involved, but it will be a tough challenge.

"Better By Design"
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 12:36pm
Austin, as Geezer and I said yesterday, it would be worth the trip for you and a small discovery group to explore Shipshewana! They have so much to offer a small community that has a nearby Amish settlement. There is a steady stream of the Amish clippy-clopping their buggies all day and waaaay into the night in and out of the town. I have heard them from our motel from morning till at least midnight. I expect the early risers are folks coming in for trade after morning chores are done, and the late-nighters are the youth sowing their oats!
You would have to see, and experience the community to understand what the both of us have mentioned. It is a vibrant, alive community, and as Geezer stated, tour groups come from 1-200 miles away for a day of shopping, dining, and experiencing the seasonal events. There are lots and lots of ideas that could be capsuled and exported to your community to help both your community and the Amish. They may feel a need to expand their trade nad services every bit as much as you want your community to revitalize. An effort could and maybe should be made to talk to their leaders to feel out their ideas. Often, individual groups have a hesitancy to co-mingle from past bad experiences. But when you go into the surrounding area and talk to the different trade and craft groups(like the buggy builders, wheelwrights and barrel stave makers, and blacksmiths, etc.) you find that they will open up to persons with a genuine interest. They can also sort out the "phonies"very, very quickly!
I understand exactly where you are coming from, because in 1971 I got my franchise as a Shell Oil Dealer. Another friend had a Sunoco station and we both wanted to see our town grow. We formed a Lions Club of younger guys, to organize and work towards that goal. There was at that time a "Service Club" of the older established businesmen and the so-called leaders of the town. They had the power, and the capitol resources to make or break. Long story-short, the community today has gone from a thriving town with 2 doctors, a dentist, 3 banks, 4-5 restaraunts, a hardware/sporting goods store, 2 groceries, along with 2 small convenience stores, 5 gas stations, to 2 banks(both owned by large city banks) 2 gas/convenience store(chain operated),1 restaraunt, 2 bars, and a lot of empty lots.
The "old guys" got their wish, the town remained small and friendly, with low crime, and light traffic.
Of course, along with that came the decay that all small towns must face today, and the need to drive 30-40 miles to go shopping!
But, it's a good place to raise kids til they grow up, go to school, and don't come back home!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 3:16pm

What you just described at the end sounds like our town. Whats sad is people a few weeks ago said their was BIG news in town. When I came home and found out what it was about I just couldn't believe they made a fuss over it. The BP gas station that had been there for 6 years was turning into a Shell station. That was the big hype. I am for sure going to form a committee or group who have the same interests as I do and look into talking to the Amish community. I think it would be beneficial for both parties.

Edited by Austin(WI) - 09 Oct 2012 at 3:17pm
"Better By Design"
geezer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 2:15am
Austin, just as a point of intrest, all the given towns are based around livestock auctions, Shipsi also has a huge antique auction along with just as big flea market all summer long, a town just south of Shipsi , Topeka also has a large livestock auction on Tuesday of every week, I can remember 60 some years ago going with my grandfather to these auctions, the stands would be full of people buying and selling, both auction houses had restarants attached and the food was great, both of these livestock auctions are right in the towns as is Kidrons. Good Luck
MilesGray (CO/KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 9:39am
Austin, I live in between two very small towns in Kansas. Caldwell, Population approximately 1050 and South Haven, Population approximately 350. The Rural Telephone service (KanOkla) has been very responsible with the money we all pay into the Universal Service Fund and I have fiber optic internet and phone service to my door in Sumner County. (This is better than I have in Denver). Caldwell has several banks, restaurants, a Napa store, 2 gas stations and host the Sumner County fair. There is also a grocery store. The nearest Wally World is in Wellington, which is about 30 miles away. (I think I read it is the busiest one in Kansas). The Grocery advertizes that it is cheaper to shop there rather than driving 60+ miles round trip to go to Wellington. I buy all the parts I need at the Napa store in town, even calling Chris from Denver for parts. He asks why I don't just buy the parts in Denver, and I tell him that I enjoy helping the community survive. He also doesn't blink when I say I need a part for a 1938 Allis Chalmers B! The only thing I haven't been able to get from him is actual engine parts.
Caldwell also is on the Chisolm Trail and was a true Wild West town in it's day and there are signs that have been erected in town to commemorate the early history of the town.
If someone were to open a small grocery store, even at slightly higher prices in some cases, it actually saves the community money in the long run. I have actually found that the meat is cheaper, and fresher than it is in Denver for most items. I also have found that I slip into the small town mentality of not wanting to go to town, even 8 miles, when I'm there. South Haven has a "New" Bakery Shop that has spread by word of mouth. Lots of people come in for coffee and Debbie's uhhh... Muffins. And they come from all over the county. There is a Car repair shop and an LP Gas dealer in South Haven as well. South Haven even has a one man Police Department!
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 11:51am
Miles post reminded me of an article I read somewhere about a small town where some of the better off residents got together and started a small grocery store as the closest was 20 or more miles away.  It was successful although it has a limited selection of goods.  I also remember reading about some farmers who started an equipment business, or bought one that was going to close.  Don't remember the brand, probably JD or IH.  That is harder to do as other dealers are pretty touchy about more competition. 
Tourism is probably the best way to bring in more dollars but you have to have something the tourists want to see and spend money on.  One reason agrientertainment is getting so popular is that most folks are so far removed from agriculture.  Something that lasts all summer and fall is a lot better then just a pumpkin farm.  Lots of good ideas out there.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 4:04pm
That is something we have going for us, agriculture. We always have. I am from Markesan, Wisconsin. We have some of the most fertile soil in the state in our area. There used to be a big granite quarry east of town, but that went out in the 1920s. We were, as claimed, the third richest community in the United States at one time. I have already contacted our city leaders about the dire need for change.

Edited by Austin(WI) - 11 Oct 2012 at 5:25pm
"Better By Design"
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 5:46pm
Austin ...interesting topic .. here in Lafayette County we started , many years ago a campaign to fix State hwy 78 .. off 151 four  lane..the DOT .. did due some upgrading , but much to my surprise  several local (elders ).. said you know if we fix things up too much ..people will come ....cause mmmmm..we like it quiet ...
Can you believe it ? 
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 10:59am
Well, I am gaining some ground! Sent a friendly email to our civic leaders asking for a meeting to be called to address the problems ans solutions. They are organizing a meeting in November. Moving forward!
"Better By Design"
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:04pm
Awesome ...
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:41pm
good luck to ya... a community that wants quiet...will get it, along with no stores or eventually people... keep uup the good work
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:42am
I haven't seen this in highlighted any other post but you need jobs to keep people around. The jobs don't have to be in your town but they gotta be in the vicinity. Most small towns thrived on farmers. Their numbers keep getting smaller. Some sort of employment needs to be going on to keep people around. Quite frankly with energy costs as high as they are, I think small towns are in for another round of damage.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 11:27am
As with most of Missouri's older small farming communities, if they don't become bedroom suburbs they soon die back to a minimal few people with no services.  Saw this in KS big time with the old grain towns, not many of the old big elevators do much rail or truck traffic so do not need as many hands and so few jobs.  Much of everything can be consolidated to one or two elevators instead of twenty as they ship out so quick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic