[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

terra tiger, what would you do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: terra tiger, what would you do?
    Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:50pm
Hey all, just askin for a little help.

I have checked out route6x6 and 6x6world, and will ask the same questions there, but figured I would ask here too. There are many knowledgable people on here, and sometimes folks have another angle or way to look at things!

We got our terra tiger running, and seems to run great.

However, when I pick up speed, anything over about 5 MPH the whole thing hops up and down. We discovered that both front axles are bent.

Now, being that said, I have never attempted this, but here is what we are thinking about doing to fix the axles....Because the front axle is split, and it would be a pain to disconnect all the springs/clutches mounted on the shaft....We were thinking about just putting a pipe on the end of the axle shaft, and lightly bending it in whatever direction it needed to go. Then, using a straight edge, measuring what is in balance or out, by rotating the axle.

See the link, for an exploded view on what I am talking about.

The whole manual...

What do ya guys think? We want to try this, unless someone has a better idea? I don't really want to mess this up, but don't think we can by doing that.

Also, I am finding out that replacement floatation tires, the correct size in a one piece wheel/tire, is near IMPOSSIBLE to find new!

I seen the other thread about filling with foam, but I don't think that would work like others said. We need about 2-3 good tires, we did put the green slime in all of them, 2 won't hold air and the other tire is questionable. Any leads on this would be appreciated too!

Thanks! Don
1 John 2:15 - Read it

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

Gary IN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 9:14pm
Have two decent tires have plug in each, but have had air for two weeks. bought a new set for mine. Need a gas tank. Have had a good time. Was going to put tires on e-bay. If interested make offer. Or have any parts to trade. Need key and regulator cover. Route 66 is where I got my parts. Gary IN
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 10:29pm
The only way your going to get the axles acceptable straight is to remove them and straighten on a press. while you have it apart you can thoughly inspet the rest of the front axle. you may find the bearings or center support are wallowed out. I've never had a terra tiger apart, but have had a max 6x6 apart. it looked simlar to your  manual drawing.  very little wobble at the center translated to alot at the wheel.
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 10:08am
You should remove axle to straighten! You don't have to undo the clutch shaft! If you have TT18 above 5000 serial no.  you can remove snap ring  and loosen chains and pull out. If you have a tt10 with pinned sprocket then it's best to remove front jackshaft! You can put slide hammer on end axle to pull it out. As for tires you'll have to go with  set adapters and installl steel rims and tires. We have parts and such for them and have service, parts and operators manuals on CD's or can make paper copies. Call us at 740-754-6248 or email us at farmtoys@sbcglobal.net if you need anything or have questions on it.

This tire is what should be used on them and as tim said, you Don't want knobby or an aggressive tire on it. 20 or 22 X 11 X 8  we have 22's on ones we play with.

Edited by farmtoybuilder - 13 Sep 2012 at 10:20am

5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 10:12am
Whatever you do, DO NOT put regular knobby ATV tires back on it as they tend to break the light weld on the back side of the hub on hard dry ground use. Just too much traction and I have mine pumped up hard so she can slide easier while turning until I locate the "paddle" type tires used for racing four wheelers, or sand tires that I can cut the paddles down on.
I am in North TX and our ground is like concrete.
Never posted pics on here but you can PM me and I can send you some pics via e-mail.
I had one good original tire when I found my TT10 and it sold fast at 75.00.
They are not easy to find for sure.
I would def. consider tearing it apart for proper axle repair as it will wear other parts out as stated above.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 11:03am
Thanks Jeff and all!!

A very kind forum member contacted me with tires, and hopefully they will work out, as originals. I sure do appreciate that.

And our tiger is a TT-18 serial 5549 I think, glad to hear I don't have to remove alot for the front axle! Looking down into the tub, it looks like a nightmare to remove everything!

Edited by Don(MI) - 13 Sep 2012 at 6:01pm

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 1:59pm
Don,
That sounds like an awful lot of hard work to do on something that old.  It's probably not worth the effort.  Why don't you just let me take it off your hands for you now and save you a bunch of aggravation.Thumbs Up

I know, I know...
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 2:21pm
Brian, it took us about 6 years to finally find a good one!! I think she ain't leavin for awhile now! LOL

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 8:10pm
Just a quick update on this project. It is in the shop now and one of the winter projects, mostly on weekends.

Slowly but surely, we are getting everything put back together. Thanks to gary, we put 2 tires on her in the fall. All the original tires seem to be holding air well, one still has a slow leak, but more green slime would probably fix that.

Dad and I added some "Custom" aluminum diamond plate. Ya, its not original, but we had some problems to overcome on the fiberglass body. Someone before us, ripped the passenger grab bar out, and left some nice big holes in the dash. Also, they smacked something hard on the drivers side, so we repaired it mechanically and put dia. plate over that too, and another on the passenger side to match. Looks good to us.

Getting the electrical hooked back up was a challenge, The hood scoop is a big hole to access the motor and electrics, but still small enough to make ya stand on yer head while working on it! I replaced the solenoid. We put new fuses in the fuse box. It uses those older 'torpedo' style fuses, never seen anything like them before!

Got down to the starter, and went and had that rebuilt. It had an internal short in it. Also replace the front headlight.

This all got put back together, and we decided to paint the interior. It is very close to the original paint that was left.

We have the seat out being remade, completely new. will have to post pictures when its back on. We will make another grab bar, and touch up in a few other areas but are happy so far with it.

Kelly (KS) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly (KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 9:30pm
Starting to look pretty sharp!!  Even though the tread plate is not original, it's nicely done! I still have the original designed tires on mine, hoping they hold out for the same reasons you state, I need to try the slime to see if it can get me by......be sure to post follow up pics.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 6:24am
Not a fan of the green Slime as the original stuff is known for ritting rims. Newer formula is supposed to be better but I will use nothing but Berrymans. Milky white stuff that is far superior and I have pulled 2" long mesquite thorns from my tractor tires and watched it bubble a minute before it sealed off.
For TT tires (you will need the adaptor plates as mentioned), check out MOTOSPORT; admin is in OR and warehouse in MS 866-667-6288. They ship free and you can get Sand Gecko's or other type soft with paddles that can be trimmed off with a nibbler. They are 80.00 each and I will switch to them when I get around to it. I have the ATV type still on mine and not keen on using it until I swap them out. You must have a tire that is soft, but will slide when you hit the tiller or you will tear up the small weld on the back side of the original hub that is welded on. I picked up a heated nibbler on e-pay for 35.00 and will be cutting down new tires eventually.
PM me if interested . . . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic