This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil pan leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podunkpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pan leaking
    Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:39pm
the oil pan on the WC, WD and WD-45 all leak at the front where the cork gasket goes over the main. I've tried cutting the gasket exact length, 1/16th and 1/8th short and a tad longer than needed. I've heard of layering silicon instead of using the cork, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a different type of gasket or any type of tricks to get them to seal and not leak.

310, 2 B's, C, 2 WC's, 2 WD's, WD-45,D-14, D-17 gas, D-17 d IV, 190
Sponsored Links

LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:52pm
I'm no expert but I thought I read somewhere that you are not supposed to cut this gasket at all but install as is out of the kit.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
podunkpuller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podunkpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:02pm
Tried that the first time ( about ten years ago ) it was about 1/2 inch to long, messed with it for about two hours and it would pop out with just enough presure on it to catch a bolt let alone tieghten her down. My great uncle came down and told me they always cut them to fit. He bought a WD new in 51 and a WD-45 a few years after the D-17s came out.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:12pm
Step #1. Curl up both new end gaskets inside a soup can and leave them for a day or two to make them take the correct shape AND DO NOT CUT THEM OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Step #2. Clean off the block and timing cover good and use brake kleen to remove all oil residue. Step #3. Glue the pan side gaskets with 3M8001 yellow weatherstrip adhesive and let dry. You may want to install a few pan bolts by hand to keep the gaskets in place. Step #4. Install the pan arch gaskets (using the 6 metal clips provided) to the pan ends after rubbing a thin layer of RTV silicone (clear, black, orange, red or gold...not blue) on both sides first. Also rub a thin layer of RTV on the sides of the pan rails.  Step #5. Put a small blob of RTV at each corner on the pan side gaskets where the arch gaskets will meet it. Step #6. Carefully install the pan while slowly and gently and carefully drawing the pan up against the block...Stop when you see RTV being squeezed out all over and wait 15 minutes or so, then come nack and finish snugging up all the pan bolts. It isn't a cylinder head and if you tighten the bolts too much all you do is bend the pan rails and smash the gaskets.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:59pm
Step #3......Glue the pan side gaskets with 3M8001 weatherstrip adhesive TO THE BLOCK and let dry. You may want to install a few pan boltss by hand to keep the gaskets in place.
podunkpuller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podunkpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:09pm
The DR has spoken! I'll try that methed it sounds like that would stop the problem of gasket slideing around. thanks
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:10pm
Try Dr. Allis' procedure cause if you cut a 1/2 inch off the proper gasket it will shrink and leak. They are cut to the length need for a proper seal.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 5:17am
My kit from AC came with clips to hold that gasket in the front and rear in place where it attached to the oil pan. The gasket clip is part number 70229177. You have some great advise on how to install your gasket too! Here is another post on the subject. http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24253&title=wd-oil-pan-gasket-installation
Danny Raddatz
hamman01 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:11am
YUP! Did the same thing. Had to do it all over again. Listen to the Dr.. WIsh I had.!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic