This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 point conversion for CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Comfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 point conversion for CA
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 9:04pm
So I just got a 3 point conversion from Tony's Tractors for my 1953 CA, and I think the snap coupler drawbar clevis is too big for the bell housing or the housing is bent out of shape.  Is this an easy fix?  Also, I found out the hard way that the height adjustment screw for the lift hydraulics was rusted through, but not before I tore the piece the screw threads into off the pump housing.  Is this an easy fix?

Jim

Edited by Jim Comfort - 31 Jul 2012 at 9:05pm
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:23pm
Mine is the same way. I bought one with the tube welded on for the pin hitch. when I went to put the snap coupler on the 3pt adapter won't fit in the bell. so I welded the tube back on and just use the pin to install. What screw are you talking about there is no hieght adjustment on a CA.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 31 Jul 2012 at 10:26pm
Jim Comfort View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Comfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:33pm
That would be screw "B" on the hydraulic pump.  It was so rusted, I had to use two pairs of vice grips to get it out of the piece that tore off the housing.  If I can jerry-rig something temporary to get it to hold position, that would be ok for my needs.  I'm not plowing, just mowing, running a rock rake and a blade.

I can't get my drawbar in far enough to snap closed, and it looks like the drawbar clevis is as far in as the bell housing will allow.  The old wishbone crawbar I had has rounded edges on the clevis, and the new one isn't rounded.  Could that be the issue, or can I modify the bell housing without disassembling too much?
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:39pm
How about taking an angle grinder and rounding off the edges a little? I know the drawbar I got for my D17 was the same way and it fit tight.  Your bell might be dinged up a little too, which won't help.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:53pm
Jim I also have plenty of pump parts down here.....just gotta find them.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
1953CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 1:00am
Jim - I could help you out with the pump too if Eldon doesnt have it.  Used a 3pt conversion on a 53 CA with no issues.  Maybe the bell is out of shape, or check the spring/latch?

Andrew
1945 AllisCletrac / 1948 "B" / 1953 "CA" / 1955 "WD-45" / 1963 "D-15 Series II"           

"No Air Support without Ground Support"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Comfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 3:28am
Cool, thanks Eldon, I'll try to get over there Wednesday if that's good with you.  I don't have an angle grinder though.  Do you happen to have one?  What would you charge to round it off for me?  I'll bring the piece that broke off and take a pic of the pump where it broke off to give you an idea of what I've got.

Thanks for joining in, Andrew.  You're right, I think the bell is tweaked.  Whether on purpose by the previous owner to make sure it stayed on with the last drawbar, (a wishbone smi-permanent with rounded clevis), or not, I don't know.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:51am
Jim I should be around after 2. I have a 7" grinder that should make short work of it.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Comfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 12:47am
Thanks, Eldon, it popped right in.  Now for the sway block, as the inner "ears" are too far off to slide in on the bracket.  Getting closer, though.  And I fired it up and found that the pump is basically stuck "up", although I can push the handle down and the implement will drop, as soon as I release the handle it goes all the way up again.  I'll play with it, and maybe get some pics up here.  It looks like the original handle broke and it was modified by the original owner.
So Andrew, hope this isn't too personal a question, but do you employ the services of All West/Select Sires over there?  If so, Gary is my cousin.  Tell him "hi" if you do know him.  I'll be over to that side of the mountains at the end of the month, if I can't get the pump workable by then, I'll make a trip up that way.

Edited by Jim Comfort - 02 Aug 2012 at 12:54am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Comfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:33pm
Hey, guys,

I got the screw on the hydraulic lift control handle back in, sans the screw jacket that sheared off.  There was enough thread where the jacket had sheared that I managed to get it in.  That's best shown in this pic...

Is there something missing that I need for hold position?  I still get the handle floating up from the vibration of the tractor, vibration of the implement, and bumps I hit.  Here are a few more pics to give you an idea of what I've got...

and one from the top...

and...

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 7:33am
Jim, I found this picture of the quadrant and lever for the CA.
http://images.craigslist.org/5N85E75H93G23La3H4c6jc8ba1d8878df1eed.jpg

Just above the lever in this picture is a cross bolt in the quadrant. There should be a small brakepad like disc clamped with that bolt that holds the lever in position.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 10:52am
I see evidence of a wreck in those pics. One or both of the quadrant ears are bent and probably thats why the lever bracket is broke off. Next question is why are so many CA floor pans cut? Somebody should make new ones because a nice one with no issues is all but impossible. I have one in brand new condition.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 11:37am
You are missing the quadrant and friction lock. My platform is not cut but when I took my Hydraulic pump and control vale apart 5 times before I got it working correctly I was wishing it had some hole cut in it. I wound up pullling the pan twice and fighting with the control valve three times working blind before I finished it up.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 12:17pm
The pump is fairly easily removed with floor pan installed with access ported provided. The trick is to removed control valve off the top off the pump first leaving the R/H cylinder hoses on. L/H tube has to come off. Then there is plenty of room to remove the pump.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic