This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forklift had little or no spark, found problem!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forklift had little or no spark, found problem!
    Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:08pm
Last fall, I acquired a problem with my ACC 30 forklift LP gas Waukesha engine. The engine would run good to fair until it warmed up It would spit and sputter, run strong and then just fade out and die. I would crank and crank on the starter and then the engine would run good....3 minutes to 15 minutes of engine operation. Then all over again....coil issues.....??? 
I meant to fix it before last Thursday afternoon to unload 10 tons of wood pellets. I got two ton off the trailer on Thursday after when the forklift died and would not start. HAS TO BE THE COIL...bought a new coil....no change, would not start.
Friday - Worked now under the distributor cap. Put in a new condensor...vrrrooom...ran great! Removed another ton of wood pellets off the trailer....spit/sputter and died. As the spark would be weak and then I would loose the spark. 6 hours of trying to figure where the problem was and a wife wanting me to "get rid of the darn thing" I quit for the day!

Saturday morning. Went to NAPA several times... and bought a new distributoir cap, new points, another new condensor, a new key switch, new spark plugs, checked for any wires shorting out to ground in the wiring harness, new coil wire, new external resister, replaced the wire from the coil to the points (Eventhough points were getting 9.3 - 10.5 volts), replaced the wire from the coil to the resister....regapped points from .018 - .022 many times, After 10 hours of work...I was still getting some to no spark!!! And a wife telling me to "get rid of the darn thing". I gave up....

Today - I had the area mobile forklift repair man come out to try and figure out the problem. We worked on it for about 5 minutes and showed him the little to no spark. "You have a distributor issue. The bushing on the distributor timing shaft is worn allowing the gap to change. I can get a new distributor but it will cost $600.00". We adjusted the the point gap now to about .032 "because of the slop and see if we could get spark...result - little or no spark again. He heard a "snap" near the distributor...I told him I have heard this before.
He then removed the metal cover which holds the points in the distributor. It was greasy on the outside and dirty on top and bottom. He shined the metal plate up,

WHAT'S WRONG??????
G,D10,D12,D14,D15,D17gas,D17 diesel,D19 Diesel, D21 Series II,160,190, B1,Bumble Bee 10,B1,HB 212,ACC 30 forklift and snap-coupler equipment
Sponsored Links

Randy_Larson View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:15pm
He then removed the metal cover which holds the points in the distributor. It was greasy on the outside and dirty on top and bottom. He shined the metal plate up,

He put the cleaned plate back on the distributor, screwed it back on, put the points back on the plate, re-gapped teh points to .022, put the distributor back together.....turned the key...cranked on strater....pushed down the throttle a little bit and vvvrrrroooommm!

Let it idle for a few minutes, turned it off, pushed on the throttle a bit and hit the key and VVVRRRROOOOOMMMMM!

It has NEVER, for the past 1 1/2 years of owning the forklift, it started again and just purred!!!!!

I hope this will help anyone that would /could encounter this same problem in the future!!!!!

Thanks for taking time to read this long article!
G,D10,D12,D14,D15,D17gas,D17 diesel,D19 Diesel, D21 Series II,160,190, B1,Bumble Bee 10,B1,HB 212,ACC 30 forklift and snap-coupler equipment
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:35pm
Thanks! Good piece of information. I will file it away in my memory bank if I can just find the combination to the door. Confused
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:04pm
if this does this again get a new insulator for where the wire from the coil attaches to the dist/points. we change tons og these at work. they cost like $3 for most dist's
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Randy_Larson View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:55pm
Dang, these were new points, though......

I hear what you are saying!
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 11:22pm
I'll have to try that on an old Lift Master rough terrain forklift that I bought earlier this summer.  It has a small 4cyl Continental motor that I was ready to shoot.  Sure would be nice if I could get that thing to run.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic