[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power steering
    Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 7:13am
Im interested in putting power steering on my ca, with a hydraulic ram on the steering arm, and getting a rotatary valve out of something and fitting it on the tractor. Has anyone has experience doing this? Or does someone have a better idea? Ill attach a hydro pump on the hand crank, or run a belt of the pto shaft and put it on that, and make some remote hydro valves while im at it.
Sponsored Links

Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 7:18am
I've never done it, but look at the one hundred series tractors for parts that's what they use.  If you get luck in a junk yard you would probably find everything you need, make some custom hoses, come up with a pump that will work for your application, and you are golden.  The only thing that may be an issue, is the really long stroke of the steering arm on the front bolster, but if you are modifying the whole thing anyway, get a second arm and shorten it as needed to match the stroke of the cylinder.
Still on the farm:
WC C WD WD45 WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP D19D D19LP 190XT-D 190XT-LP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060 N7
In the weeds: 3-U UC 2-G B C 7-WC RC WD-LP WF D-17D D21 210
orange-guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 8:27am
Getting junkyard parts isnt an option for me... i live in tasmania Australia and theirs about 20 allis tractors in the state, ill have to use parts from something else. Can rotary valves regulate the flow of oil so that the speed im spining the steering wheel is the same speed the ram is turning the wheels??? I understand most hydraulic principle, but i havnt looked into rotary valves before. 
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 8:56am
Well, depending on how fast you are looking to do something, and what the cost might be, maybe someone on this site, would be willing to go get you a couple off of a hundred series tractor, and then you will know for sure it will work.
Still on the farm:
WC C WD WD45 WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP D19D D19LP 190XT-D 190XT-LP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060 N7
In the weeds: 3-U UC 2-G B C 7-WC RC WD-LP WF D-17D D21 210
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 9:24am
Use the hydraulic steering assist from a Gleaner combine. It goes in place of the long tie rod and won't change your steering response.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 9:43am
I went through the steering on my CA cleaning, re-sealing, greasing and replacing bearings. I can steer with 1 finger on had ground and use 1 hand in plowed ground. I never had a loader on a CA but can't imagine needing PS for any other reason.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
orange-guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 2:52am
Yes my problem is my steering is very stiff, im jumping ahead to power steering. ill pull the whole steering system out of it and give it a good clean and grease first. Im half doing it just as a project, and also to get some remotes on my tractor.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:00pm
I adapted the power assist from a Cockshut/White sp combine to my D grader. It uses a control valve on the drag link to operate a cylinder between the axle and the tie rod. I mounted a separate belt driven ps pump from an old car or pickup truck. I can steer it with one finger now. You should be able to find a variety of systems at a farm equipment salvage yard.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
The hydraulic principles you need to know for hydraulic steering:

1)  Hydraulic steering valves are fixed-displacement devices... that means, when you turn the steering wheel one turn, the valve sends out a certain volume of fluid.  Let's say that for a given brand and model of valve, each turn of the wheel generates 3 cubic inches of displacement.

2) Hydraulic rams come in three varieties:
 a) single acting... hydraulic fluid pushes on one side of the ram piston, it in one direction.  Some other force must push it back.  The amount of fluid required to extend the cylinder, is a function of the area of the piston, and the stroke that it extends.
 b) double-acting... hydraulic fluid pushes on both the front AND back side of the ram piston.  With this type, because of the presence of the ROD on the 'back' side, the amount of fluid required to RETRACT the cylinder, is less than required to EXTEND the cylinder.
 c) Double-acting BALANCED cylinder.  This type of cylinder has a rod that passes ALL the way through... with rod ends on both sides of the cylinder.  By doing this, the rod exists on BOTH sides of the piston, so extension and retraction volume are the same amount.

When developing a hydraulic steering system, you must either use a double-acting BALANCED cylinder, or a PAIR of single or double acting cylinders, so that your number of turns required to go from full left to full right, is the same as going from full right, to full left.

If you're planning on doing hydraulic steering, I advise that you affix one end of the hydraulic ram(s) to the front axle, and the other end to the steering linkage between the wheels.  Installing the ram to push and pull between the drag link and tractor chassis causes the front axle to bang back-and-forth against the axle's pivot pin, causing lots of needless steering slop, and breaking/wearing components that really don't need to be abused.

SteveC(NS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveC(NS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 6:20am
orange-guy, I don't recommend powering your pump from the PTO unless you plan to use the hand clutch a lot. Often you need the PS when the tractor isn't moving ie. when your foot is on the clutch. Live PS hydraulics are the way to go.
Another pooint is the possiblity of using a PS rack unit from an automobile, as I believe yardy Michael may have been aluding to. Provided your CA is a wide front.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic