[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a new trim saw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new trim saw
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
If you were buying the lightest saw available what would it be?

What do they weigh?

I have shoulder issues and can't handle lifting a heavy saw over and over.
Sponsored Links

ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 6:49pm
i bought a small STHIEL may cost a little more but you wont be sorry.i had been buying small saws from discount stores and i got 2 or 3 years out of them then i bought a STHIEL about 7 years ago and still running it like i said a little more cost up front but cheeper in the long run.i dont know what thay weigh but thay are ballanced and feel good in your hands and by being ballanced that takes alot of stress off of your arms and sholders you may want to look at a STHIEL 160 or 170 good luck Tom

Edited by ctbowles58 - 09 Jul 2012 at 6:55pm
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 6:58pm
I have a Stihl 015R that I bought used (very low hours) for a good price. It's over 20 years old now and the only problem I have had with it is a gasket letting go in the crankcase so it wouldn't suck gas right.
 I can hold this saw in one hand and reach up overhead and I have shoulder problems.
 The only gripe I have is I can't buy a replacement gas cap because that part is no longer available.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rich-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm
I have a 028 and 029 Stihl  that have been super runners for the past 15-20 years..A bit on the "heavy" side for your wants, but have seen the smaller/lighter Stihls do their thing for a smaller saw.. Son and son-in-law use my saws rather than the Husky and Johnsrud.( they have those in the shop 3/4 of the time)...
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 8:33pm
I have a Stihl 180 that I really like.  It is a bit heavier than the 170, but it has more horsepower in the same package.  I even use it for cutting smaller trees rather than get my Stihl 310 out and starting it up.  I have other Stihl equipment, and they all start very easy, which is very important for me.  Hope that helps.  Dale
CA Allis & 175 Allis
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:05pm
Gary, are you asking about a chain saw for trimming trees or a miter saw for carpentry trim work? If it is a chain saw go with a Stihl as mentioned above. Their web site should list the weight of the various saws or your dealer will have a booklet with all the specifications. For a miter saw get s small Makita or Dewalt.
I may not know what the future holds but I know Who holds the future.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 11:02pm
Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out a Stihl tomorrow. Think I'll go to their site now.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 6:51am
Yup, I am glad I am not the only one that considers a small chain saw a "trim saw."
My family is the worlds finest chain saw carpenters
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes

1968 D15D,1958 D17D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic