This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7060 Power Director Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7060 Power Director Problems
    Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:37pm
My late black belly 7060 decided to throw a fit.  When the tractor isnt loaded, I can shift to the high side just fine, but when it is loaded, it is like the high side wont totally engage and almost feels like  it is slipping.  If I shift as I turn the corner while the implement is up, then put the load on, everything holds just fine.  Any ideas what that indicates?  Anything to check for more diagnosis? I know that it act this way in 4th and 5th.  No idiot lights are showing, but I cant guarantee they work.  Fluid and filters were changed last summer (about 50 hours of use ago). Any ideas?  Will I hurt anything running it like it is?  Thanks in advance. 
Sponsored Links

Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 7:48pm
In a nutshell, yes.  Anytime you slip any clutch, it wears prematurely.  As to what is causing this, it could be low oil, low oil pressure, filter restrictions, the list goes on and on......

First check the oil levels, under the seat in the cab.  Second verify the power director valve is travelling all the way, you should be able to see it from the engine "drivers" side, looking back under the steering area, you will see a spool valve, is the linkage worn?  Does the spool chrome area travel to the farthest extent possible.  If you use the two speed a lot, the linkages tend to wear at the pivots.  Next you will have to check pressures.  I don't have the 7000 series manual with me, but one of the other guys will know where the test ports are, and what the pressures should be.

Are you having any other hydraulic issues, Steering?  PTO Slipping?  Brakes?  Remotes?  3-Point?  Differential lock?  It has been a while, and I don't remember exactly which systems are tied together, but if the pump was not putting out the pressure, I am fairly sure you would have other problems as well.

Worst case it's internal and will require a slit, did it just start, and it is as bad as it has ever been, or has it slowly gotten to this point, a little slip here and there, till now it slips all the time?
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:24pm
Thanks for the reply.
Last fall, everything worked fine, worked fine on the way to the field, but when I got there and had the drill in the ground, thats when I noticed it. I dont recall it ever slipping before, but I have only had the tractor 2 years, and it clearly led a hard life before that. I tried to check everything "simple": Plenty of oil in both compartments, recent filter change, everything else (steering, 3 pt, hydraulics, brakes, etc) works like they should.  I had basically ruled out a linkage problem because it shifts fine when it is not loaded down. I looked up where the spool valve is, and nothing caught my eye, but didnt fully investigate.  
When pulling our 24' Great Plains drill, I normally use high 4th, come to the corner, tap the clutch to go to low, turn the corner, get the drill down and straightened out, then tap the button to go to high.  
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:38pm
Like so many other posts on this site, no one ever says how many HOURS are on the tractor with the problem. On the top of the PD valve there is a plug that takes an allen wrench to remove. This is where you measure clutch system pressure. It should be 195 to 205 psi at full throttle & hot oil......setting it up to 220 psi would be acceptable if you need to change it. If pressure is OK, I'd guess the high range discs are worn out and slipping during the transition from low to high. You can keep using it if you need to, but avoid upshifting under load....it's that simple.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:49pm
Could be torque limitor. If it has a AM radio in cab, turn it up and let it slip. If the torque limitor slips it will squall in radio.   MACK
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:01pm
DrAllis. 
Sorry for not mentioning the hours. Tach shows 7700 or so (it recently quit working after the alternator went out), but I have no idea what the tractor has been through before me. I will keep it out of the high side until I have time to check the pressures (we have about 130 acres of beans left to plant).  If I need to raise the pressure, how complicated is that/what do I need to do?
MACK, Still has the original radio, but it doesnt work. I have an fender-mount type stuck behind the seat, will it still squall on the AM side of that?  
I really do appreciate the knowledge you guys possess and the willingness you have to share it.  If I knew 1/3rd as much as you guys, I would be too tired to bother helping the next guy.  Thank you all. 

Edited by Adam Stratton - 16 May 2012 at 10:04pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:20pm
There's one thing for sure.....it has at least 7700 hrs on that tachometer.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 6:48am
We finished planting beans Thursday, and I learned a new symptom that will probably clear everything up. As I finished up the field (in 5th in the low side), with the implement in the ground, I stepped on the brakes. The engine pulled down for a second and then stayed the same RPM, but the tractor stopped moving.  Does that mean the torque is shot?  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:19am
Pretty good indication of the Torque limiter being shot, but it could also be the power director, but the history on these tractors would point to the torque limiter
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Adam Stratton Adam Stratton wrote:

We finished planting beans Thursday, and I learned a new symptom that will probably clear everything up. As I finished up the field (in 5th in the low side), with the implement in the ground, I stepped on the brakes. The engine pulled down for a second and then stayed the same RPM, but the tractor stopped moving.  Does that mean the torque is shot?  
could you still steer it when it stopped? If torque limiter was slipping, you would lose hydraulics too right?
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:13am
That is correct Ed, you loose EVERYTHING, since the torque limiter is really just the old style foot clutch in the flywheel.
Still in use:
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:53pm
I only made it slip for a second, but I am pretty sure I still had steering.  I know I did when I thought it was slipping between low and high, so that probably means that all the trouble is in the PD? I havent had any trouble lifting implements, and didnt have any trouble pulling the 20 ft bush-hog with it last fall, so the PTO probably wasnt slipping, then at least.  Sounds like a lot bigger job than I am able to fix on my own, so I better get a call in to the local AC repair man.  I have gotten spoiled by the "modern" conveniences of the 7060 compared to the 220.  Thanks again for all the help. 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:10pm
Which ever it is fix both while you are in there.  MACK
iluv2694ubaby View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluv2694ubaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 6:00pm
I have a 7060 allis and I have no reverse or 1 gear I have taken the valve body on side of tractor to clean it and filters there was a lil bit of shavings in bottom but not to bad what could be causing it and how does one go about fixing it
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 7:09pm
You will be much better off starting a new post. Sounds like a powershift?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic