This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45 Brakes
    Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:46pm
How do I get the brake shoes out of the housing after pulling the pin and backing off the stop screw? Do I have to remove all the snap rings and pins on the top part of the shoes?
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:56pm
Been a long time ago but I think I just took the nut off the draw bolt and seperated them there.What ever is was,it wasn't a big chore.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:07pm
To remove brake shoes, remove brake compartment covers. Disconnect
and remove front and rear shoe return springs (1 & 8). From lower
side of transmission housing, remove brake shoe anchor pin lock, and
remove anchor pin (15). In the event that the brake anchor pin cannot be
removed by prying, it may be necessary to drill and tap the anchor pin
so that a suitable puller of the stud and sleeve type may be used. Remove
adjusting nut from clevis (6). Front shoe should be removed first, through
compartment cover opening. Remove rear shoe in like manner.
Reinstall the front shoe, as an assembly made up of the brake shoe,
toggle levers, toggle pin and adjusting clevis and pin. The large brake shoe
return spring (1) is for the rear shoe and the smaller spring (8) is used for
the front shoe. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
davidk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:48pm
Thank you, that's the info I needed. I have the pivot pin out and the springs off and the stop backed off. It still didn't want to come but now I will work harder at it. The brake rod broke off inside the housing so there is a small piece of it still hooked up it may be hanging up. Thanks again...Dave
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:07am
The brake housings are well known for harboring mice thru bad weather and non-use. It may be jammed up with all kinds of nesting material.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
davidk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:58pm
Thank you, there is a pile of mouse nest on the ground, I haven't had a chance to try getting it apart. Maybe tomorrow....Dave
RJM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 6:40am
I have a broken brake rod on y AC wd 45....loooking for some suggestions on replaceing it....

thanks

Bob Miller

dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 7:10am
Make sure all of the parts on the pivot parts are moving freely. If you don't have a repair manuel for your wd45 you need to set your brake rods at a set length and adjust the brakes one wheel at a time. Use anti-seize on those brake pins when you put the back in. I did my brakes a few months ago, if you need information pm me and I will call you back.

At least your pins didn't have to come out this way. LOL like mine did.

Edited by dannyraddatz - 29 Sep 2012 at 1:17pm
Danny Raddatz
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 7:28am
Those pivot pins can turn a brake job on one of these into a HUGE job!! One thing about it when done and the brakes work as they should it is very satisfying.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 8:53am
I could not believe the difference after everything was freed up on how different the brakes worked.  
Danny Raddatz
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by RJM RJM wrote:

I have a broken brake rod on y AC wd 45....loooking for some suggestions on replaceing it....

thanks

Bob Miller

Bob,
Is yours brake rod broken off clean or is part of it hanging out?
Danny 
Danny Raddatz
RJM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 1:09pm
It's  broken off and cannot see if any part is inside the housing...I took off the brake cover and cannot see wear the rod attachs to the  drum....

tks

Bob Miller
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 2:47pm
The 3/8" rod from the brake pedal goes to part 13 (toggle pin) in danny r's posted picture.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by RJM RJM wrote:

It's  broken off and cannot see if any part is inside the housing...I took off the brake cover and cannot see wear the rod attachs to the  drum....

tks

Bob Miller

Bob,
I would pull the bottom pin out and see if I could wiggle the shoes out, then see if I could soak that part with PB blaster and drill and retap if it would not come out any other way.
Danny
Danny Raddatz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic