[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converted 2000 rpm tiller to 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converted 2000 rpm tiller to 540
    Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:50pm
I have a 48 inch tiller for my 720 Allis Chalmers.  If you know anything about a 720...if there is a weak spot...it is the rear PTO.  While the tiller was made by Allis Chalmers for the 720, I was leery on using it although I did.
Well, I got a 5015 several weeks ago so I came up with the idea of converting the 2000 (motor speed) PTO tiller to work on the 5015's 540 PTO.  It turned out to be pretty simple.
The top gear on the side drive train was a 12 tooth gear driving a 20 some tooth gear in mid power train that was back to back with a smaller gear that drove the lower 27 tooth gear.  What we did was change the top gear to a 15 tooth "60" roller chain to match the lowest 27 tooth gear, use the intermediate "60" roller chain gear as an intermediate idler, use the two roller block to tighten up the chain and it works great.  By my calculations, the tiller which would run 200 RPM in the dirt now runs 202 RPM at 540 on the tractor.  Sure a lot cheaper than buying a new 48 inch tiller and it is totally reversible.  Forgot another item...had to change the drive shaft from the 2000 rpm shaft to a 540.  It had to be longer and of course have the 540 female end on it instead of the 2000 rpm male end.  Baum Hydraulics made easy work of that with a premade shaft that had to have the tiller end yoke changed to fit the machine. 
While the 720 did a good job of tilling, the 5015 puts it to shame.  Well worth the time and effort to make the conversion.  Den
Owner of D & R AC Parts.
Own 6 720s with associated equipment,also 5015, D 17 series 1, and associated equipment plus 540 loader and 2 electric forklifts.
Sponsored Links

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 3:04pm
Could you post a pic or two, Dennis?  That's pretty creative, and I'd like to see how it looks.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic