[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Snowmobiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Snowmobiles
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:39pm
I had always wondered if Allis ever tried the snowmobile market. Has anyone ever seen this before. It is in the Top of the Lake Snowmobile Museum in Naubinway MI.

Here is the writeup.

1965 Allis Chalmers Prototype

On the Allis Chalmers, It was built in 1965, one of three prototypes, two identical with the LLoyd OHV 4 stroke, 4 speed with reverse, the third one was built with a small cc 2 cycle engine and "didn't have enough power to pull itself." Allis was thinking about the work/utility sled market, not a sport machine. All of the mechanical components came off the assembly line, from various farm equipments, and the sleds were built during "down time". After testing, it was decided that the sleds were not practical and they were put in a disposal/scrap area. The gentleman I acquired it from and another employee from the Copper Country "rescued " both of the 4 cycle sleds from the scrap. The third sled was definitely scrapped out. The sleds were hauled to the U.P., one to Copper Country and the other one to his father's farm in Iron River, Mich. The Copper Country sled was used for a short time, then junked, with the engine/trans given to the Iron River sled owner. I was buying hay from the farm around 10 years ago, and the owner told me about the sled while my crew was loading hay. At the time, I was not into vintage sleds but I never forgot about it. I returned 2 years ago to find the owner suffering from Alzheimers, but still lucid on some days. He and his lovely wife agreed with me that it should be placed in a museum, so I was able to purchase the Allis on that condition! I also have the engine out of the scrapped sled from Copper Country. I did contact Allis Chalmers for possible history on the sled, but was told that "We are a forward-thinking company and do not dwell on the past.", so I was unable to get
35WC on steel, B with belly mower, D17 puller, D17 with Kelly 305 loader, D17D Series III with Allis 200 loader D15 Series II, 1985 6080 4wd,D12 with Allied loader 720 Garden Tractor, 608 Lawn Tractor
Sponsored Links

Luke R. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:53pm
Cool that would be a good find. Wonder if anyone on here can add too or verify the story. I want one. But it sounds like their is only one!
1-170G,1-180D,1-220FWA,3-220's,1-210,1-D21II,1-D21Iindustrial,2-D19D's,1-D19G,1-WD45,1-WD,1-CA,1-B,2-UCont.,1-5015FWA,1-920,1-917,1-B110,Gleaner F,5AllCrops72-66-60,5Rotobalers & alot of SC Equip.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:09am
Here are some more Links regarding Allis Chalmers Snowmobile:

Gary

One For Sale in 2007

Top of the Lake Museum - same Article

Snowmobile Show  Feb. 2012

farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:12am
I heard about prototypes being made, but never seen any info or pictures of them. Great find and Saved from scrap!

5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Beirnesy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 6:28pm
An  Allis Chalmers 4 stroke snowmobile prototype in 1965: I always believed that Allis Chalmers was always ahead of their time. In this case they where 40 years ahead.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic