[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stone crusher or grinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stone crusher or grinder
    Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:24am
Dose anyone have any experience or knowledge of one you would pull behind a tractor to get rid the stones in a field?   Make, model, hp to run it, size of finished product, cost.
  Thanks, Nella
Sponsored Links

Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:36am
Can't help you -- rocks seem to keep growing in my fields - and I get exercise by picking them up or dragging them with a chain. Over the years, my rock pile has gotten quite large. Despite them, my waistline has grown too, LOL. How big are the rocks you are dealing with and how many are there?
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:13am
People around here use skid loaders with rock buckets, tractor pulled rock pickers, or enlist the kids...
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:26am
Over the years we have used the following methods to deal with rocks in our PA fields:
1. kids. My brother, sisters and I. Never tell Dad you were bored, he would send you to pick a load of rocks.
2. modified John Deere cultivator. Added many etra teeth. Kind of lumped them into piles. Then, see #1 above.
3. 3 point rock rake made from old truck frame and torsion bars cut up. Set at an angle. Made rock windrows. See #1 above, but equip them with manure forks to toss stones in the wagon.
4. Rock rake like they used on the dirt/gravel roads. Made nice row of even the small stones. This kid was a teenager by then, and scraped up the rows with the front end loader.
5. Hydraulic rock picker. Teeth run under the surface, once the tines have enough rocks, the cylinder would be actuated and the tines would dump the rocks in a hopper in the back. When full, the hopper was dumped hydraulically. This was the option used, because the kids had all either gone to college, or move away.  Was by far the fasted, easiest and most thorough method. Would recommend this to anyone facing the yearly crop of rocks that seem to "grow".
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:56am
I have about 20 acres that you can pick a wagon load of stones off of every 2 acres. The size is about 20" on down which are somewhat flat sandstone and shale. About 3 acres are bottom land with round granite type hardness stones. It is good corn and bean ground but the combine don't like them in the bean fields!! The rest of the tillable land has quartz, sandstone and shale. We just finished picking which got me thinking about a rock crusher.
Particle size(1" and smaller would be great) and maintenance would be two main issues.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 08 May 2012 at 10:59am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:17am
Have not seen a portable rock crusher for use behind tractor or such , rock pickers yes but the idea is to remove them to pile not try to make soil from them .
 Rock rake or actual rock picker used before planting or after harvest, 
YOU DON'T THINK YOUR WAY TO A NEW WAY OF LIVING --
YOU LIVE YOUR WAY TO A NEW WAY OF THINKING ..
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:39am
I have not heard of a rock picker that crushes rocks.  Lost of companies make pickers of  of a design similar to the Rock-L-Matic, which you can find at:

Also some companies were making rock windrowers that could concentrate rocks quickly for later pickup with one of the pickers.  There were a huge help  for really rocky fields.

Edited by Reindeer - 08 May 2012 at 11:39am

68 170G
83 5015
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:39am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NInDenQl7W4
http://www.kirpy.com/en/cadre_EN.html

I had found this and some others in a search engine but thought I could get a better opinion here from some hands on experienced operators.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 08 May 2012 at 11:59am
rob(ont) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob(ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:34pm
I remember seeing addy's in Ontario for something called Merricrusher/Meri-crusher/or something like that. Don't know nutin bout it. Was tractor drawn pto driven. Supposedly ground up rocks, sticks and anything else in its path. Got me thinkin now.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:52pm

I use an 8' stone fork on my A-C 715B backhoe equiped with duals for flotation on soft worked ground for the bigger stones and a 30' three section  roller after the beans are planted to push the small stones back into the ground.

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:54pm
Nella's got me thinkin' too. With the yearly tedious job of picking by hand I am shocked I don't believe I never thought we should just crush em and leave em! Great idea!!!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:02pm
Friend's got a rock picker,pulled behind tractor, has onboard gas engine to drive the chains.Kinda like a very heavy duty potato picker.
Heck, use an old tater picker....cheap, beats a stone board for sure !!
'57 D-14,'59 D-14,'61 Gleaner A,another '57 D-14,'49 B, another '49 B

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:03pm
 A few years back in Farm Show there was a fella with a large jaw type crusher mounted on a truck axle that pulled this crusher across fields and crushed an  let the chips fall right there. Had about a 100 hp Ford tractor to pull it , was pto powered , it was heavy and needed a lot of power to pull thru loose ground . I don't think he needed all that much power to crush as it had a mammoth flywheel.  I'm curious again , I'll see if I can find that article.  It can be done....
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by rob(ont) rob(ont) wrote:

I remember seeing addy's in Ontario for something called Merricrusher/Meri-crusher/or something like that. Don't know nutin bout it. Was tractor drawn pto driven. Supposedly ground up rocks, sticks and anything else in its path. Got me thinking now.

Rob
We bought a Meri-crusher, made by Suokone, great machine to save picking up sticks and small stumps.  Leaves the soil so loose and fluffy you could plant right into it no problem.  Takes some real horsepower to run it and you need a tractor with a creeper gear.  Not talking about 2 or 3 mph either, lol.  It will pulverize concrete and asphalt to dust, rocks tend to break the teeth and the lugs the teeth mount onto the drum with, and worst case situation we have broke two pto shafts off the tractor...big rock stuck and stopped drum dead and a stump that got caught on the shear bar/drum area and bound it up. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic